1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Compensation for district built on strategic resources

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by bbufa, Dec 27, 2017.

1. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

Since the strategic resources give tile bonus but can't be revealed from the beginning, it's very reluctant to choose which tile to build districts.
    For example if a city build Campus on Coal, it should get +2 production once I researched the tech.

2. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about you, but unless a school had a very proactive geology department, I can't imagine a coal mine being opened up in the middle of a lecture hall.

"Oh son, why are you home from university?"

"I have the black lung, father."

Not my first choice of school.

Zaarin likes this.
  3. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

well, what if the district is industrial zone?

I mean, when I place a district and next turn (strategic resource revealed) that tile +2 production bonus, not to mention the eureka wasted...

dunkleosteus likes this.
  4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Flexibility in the "District" mechanism would not be out of place, historically:

There are oil wells dotting the city of Los Angeles
    There are coal tunnels under the cities of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA (some of which occasionally collapse, taking a house or three with them)
    Late in WWII, both the Germans and the Japanese dispersed their 'Industrial Zones' among Neighborhoods in their cities to avoid Allied bombing (with mediocre success - in Japan's case, the US simply fire bombed all the cities)

In other words, it would not be out of place too, say, get the benefit of a Resource under a District, but it should require extra work to get it - perhaps a Builder Charge on top of the District and also, most extraction processes being less than ideal neighbors, perhaps a drop in the basic Appeal of the Tile and the neighboring Tiles - which could be a nasty shock to the Housing from your Neighborhoods in the area, but wouldn't make the Resource completely inaccessible.

Thibaulthc likes this.
  5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Is this a common problem? Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a district with a strategic resource under it...maybe because I typically build only 1-2 districts in my "satellite" frontier cities, and many more often in the late game after all important strategic resources have been revealed.

Do districts over strategic resources at least give you access to those strategic resources?

6. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

Most people don't know about the oil wells in LA because they are completely encased in buildings.

7. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

You're lucky, I always end up with districts over strategic resources.

In worst case I placed a district on marsh without knowing there's oil under it (marsh +1 food, oil +3 productions)
    or on a wood hill which is a uranium source (+1 production for wood, +2 for uranium).

===
    And last time I checked, until the district is completed, you will not get the strategic resource under it, thus may delay your military rush.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

But completing the district does give you the strategic resources right? Does it also give you the production for them? My understanding was that citizens working district tiles also work the tile underneath each district (so base food value etc counts).

9. Staal

Staal Chieftain

Pretty sure the district gives you access to the resource, you just can't place it on the resource after it has been revealed without destroying it.

10. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

I think improving a resource under a district should be done with a building, not a builder charge. As a building, it would be easier to apply any potential bonuses or penalties to the district. It also enables the improvement to be pillaged by enemy spies. I think it's reasonable to say that improving a resource in the wilderness versus in a district would pose different challenges. In the middle of nowhere, you can drop waste rock on the ground, build roads or tunnels or whatever you want. In a city or other populated area you'd be forced to work around existing buildings. It just feels like a more delicate operation.