Compensation for district built on strategic resources

bbufa

Warlord
Since the strategic resources give tile bonus but can't be revealed from the beginning, it's very reluctant to choose which tile to build districts.
For example if a city build Campus on Coal, it should get +2 production once I researched the tech.

well, what if the district is industrial zone?

I mean, when I place a district and next turn (strategic resource revealed) that tile +2 production bonus, not to mention the eureka wasted...

Flexibility in the "District" mechanism would not be out of place, historically:

There are oil wells dotting the city of Los Angeles
There are coal tunnels under the cities of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA (some of which occasionally collapse, taking a house or three with them)
Late in WWII, both the Germans and the Japanese dispersed their 'Industrial Zones' among Neighborhoods in their cities to avoid Allied bombing (with mediocre success - in Japan's case, the US simply fire bombed all the cities)

In other words, it would not be out of place too, say, get the benefit of a Resource under a District, but it should require extra work to get it - perhaps a Builder Charge on top of the District and also, most extraction processes being less than ideal neighbors, perhaps a drop in the basic Appeal of the Tile and the neighboring Tiles - which could be a nasty shock to the Housing from your Neighborhoods in the area, but wouldn't make the Resource completely inaccessible.

Is this a common problem? Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a district with a strategic resource under it...maybe because I typically build only 1-2 districts in my "satellite" frontier cities, and many more often in the late game after all important strategic resources have been revealed.

Do districts over strategic resources at least give you access to those strategic resources?

Flexibility in the "District" mechanism would not be out of place, historically:

There are oil wells dotting the city of Los Angeles
There are coal tunnels under the cities of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA (some of which occasionally collapse, taking a house or three with them)
Late in WWII, both the Germans and the Japanese dispersed their 'Industrial Zones' among Neighborhoods in their cities to avoid Allied bombing (with mediocre success - in Japan's case, the US simply fire bombed all the cities)

In other words, it would not be out of place too, say, get the benefit of a Resource under a District, but it should require extra work to get it - perhaps a Builder Charge on top of the District and also, most extraction processes being less than ideal neighbors, perhaps a drop in the basic Appeal of the Tile and the neighboring Tiles - which could be a nasty shock to the Housing from your Neighborhoods in the area, but wouldn't make the Resource completely inaccessible.

Most people don't know about the oil wells in LA because they are completely encased in buildings.

Is this a common problem? Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a district with a strategic resource under it...maybe because I typically build only 1-2 districts in my "satellite" frontier cities, and many more often in the late game after all important strategic resources have been revealed.

Do districts over strategic resources at least give you access to those strategic resources?
You're lucky, I always end up with districts over strategic resources.

In worst case I placed a district on marsh without knowing there's oil under it (marsh +1 food, oil +3 productions)
or on a wood hill which is a uranium source (+1 production for wood, +2 for uranium).

===
And last time I checked, until the district is completed, you will not get the strategic resource under it, thus may delay your military rush.

Last edited:
But completing the district does give you the strategic resources right? Does it also give you the production for them? My understanding was that citizens working district tiles also work the tile underneath each district (so base food value etc counts).

Pretty sure the district gives you access to the resource, you just can't place it on the resource after it has been revealed without destroying it.

I think improving a resource under a district should be done with a building, not a builder charge. As a building, it would be easier to apply any potential bonuses or penalties to the district. It also enables the improvement to be pillaged by enemy spies. I think it's reasonable to say that improving a resource in the wilderness versus in a district would pose different challenges. In the middle of nowhere, you can drop waste rock on the ground, build roads or tunnels or whatever you want. In a city or other populated area you'd be forced to work around existing buildings. It just feels like a more delicate operation.

Top Bottom