[GS] Competition 'Ends this Turn'. Except it doesn't...

MrRadar

Deity
I always suspected there was something not clicking at the end of those competitions, finally I have something more tangible to show.

I had a very tense race with Trajan for literary Nobel Prize, he was in the lead the whole time, but I almost caught up in the end.

So here's the situation, T204, the counter shows 1 turn left, the dialog box states 'Ends This Turn', and I have two final theatre projects, both 1 turn left, completing this turn:

Spoiler :

Next turn - 205, I'm greeted with this screen:
Spoiler :

Dang it! Wasn't enough. The counter shows 0 turns, and this official result list shows Trajan as the winner.
Kristina, with clenched jaw and frosty smile frozen on her face heads to the stage to admit defeat and congratulate Trajan, cursing him in her mind. It takes her a whole new turn to reach the stage, though.

Next turn -206. Wait what's that!? Before Kristina can say anything, there's a puff of smoke and Dumbledore appears on the stage in his own person! He makes an inspiring speech about virtue of perseverance, and how Kristina reminds him of his favourite pupil Hermione when she was young, and then he awards some final bonus points.
He tears up the official result list and pulls a new one from his sleeve, and according to this, Kristina wins by the skin of the tip of her beautiful nose:
Spoiler :

While the decorations and flags change magically from Roman into Swedish ones, I'm asking myself: what the heck is going on?

When does the counting of the points actually stops? This jump in score from t205 to t206 - was it my two projects that ended t205? Why they were added a turn later? This is very much confusing. I was triumphant, of course, but imagine, if I was playing Trajan?

Same goes for the old "your cultural Victory is imminent in x turns". Had one game tell me I had only 5 turns left... then it went on for another 50.

Yeah, sorry to say, but you really can't trust the UI in Civ 6.

I always suspected there was something not clicking at the end of those competitions, finally I have something more tangible to show.

I had a very tense race with Trajan for literary Nobel Prize, he was in the lead the whole time, but I almost caught up in the end.

So here's the situation, T204, the counter shows 1 turn left, the dialog box states 'Ends This Turn', and I have two final theatre projects, both 1 turn left, completing this turn:

Spoiler :

Next turn - 205, I'm greeted with this screen:
Spoiler :

Dang it! Wasn't enough. The counter shows 0 turns, and this official result list shows Trajan as the winner.
Kristina, with clenched jaw and frosty smile frozen on her face heads to the stage to admit defeat and congratulate Trajan, cursing him in her mind. It takes her a whole new turn to reach the stage, though.

Next turn -206. Wait what's that!? Before Kristina can say anything, there's a puff of smoke and Dumbledore appears on the stage in his own person! He makes an inspiring speech about virtue of perseverance, and how Kristina reminds him of his favourite pupil Hermione when she was young, and then he awards some final bonus points.
He tears up the official result list and pulls a new one from his sleeve, and according to this, Kristina wins by the skin of the tip of her beautiful nose:
Spoiler :

While the decorations and flags change magically from Roman into Swedish ones, I'm asking myself: what the heck is going on?

When does the counting of the points actually stops? This jump in score from t205 to t206 - was it my two projects that ended t205? Why they were added a turn later? This is very much confusing. I was triumphant, of course, but imagine, if I was playing Trajan?
I believe they are counted at the end of the turn, and the competition waits for the beginning of the turn after zero. The UI failed to integrate the logic in a clear way. Probably a typical case of front-end /back-end lack of communication

Same goes for the old "your cultural Victory is imminent in x turns". Had one game tell me I had only 5 turns left... then it went on for another 50.
This is just due to the fact that your opponent can raise their own culture/tourism during those five turns, forcing you in a never ending race. To avoid it, as @Victoria keeps repeating, the earlier you start pounding tourism, the better it is to avoid this drag.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just due to the fact that your opponent can raise their own culture/tourism during those five turns, forcing you in a never ending race. To avoid it, as @Victoria keeps repeating, the earlier you start pounding tourism, the better it is to avoid this drag.

Perhaps I'm just lacking context, but that doesn't add up to me. Does improving your tourism or culture extend the competition?

Found that out a couple days ago when going for diplomatic victory on primordial map with new world age. There were aid events left and right. And I was getting annoyed having spent a lot of money thinking I would win, only to have the AI pull ahead with 0 turns left to go. Obviously I reloaded and gave more money.

I'm guessing because the human player goes first, 0 turns left to go is only for the human player, not the AI's.

I'm guessing because the human player goes first, 0 turns left to go is only for the human player, not the AI's.
Yes, I believe this is the case. When you are taking your turn, any competition-related projects or great people points have already counted for you, but the AI civs have not yet had their final turn. You can still give aid gold, but the AI still get their final turn after you.

Obviously I reloaded and gave more money.
:nono:
:lol:

Yes, I believe this is the case. When you are taking your turn, any competition-related projects or great people points have already counted for you, but the AI civs have not yet had their final turn. You can still give aid gold, but the AI still get their final turn after you.

Hm, but then how would you explain the scoring in my example? In t204 I have 1256 points and two projects with 1 turn left to completion. t205 my score is 1286, so 30 points were added, obviously just from districts and buildings. Both my projects have been completed now, but where are my points for them?

t205 I have no more projects running or about to complete, but t206 shows my final score 1448 and that is 162 points more than the last turn. So I guess my two final projects were accounted for one turn later? Or just shown one turn later, meaning the display of the points lags by one turn and what you see is actually a situation from the turn before?

So if you have projects showing 1 turn to completion on the turn when the competition turn counter already shows 0, they will probably complete already too late to be counted?

Perhaps I'm just lacking context, but that doesn't add up to me. Does improving your tourism or culture extend the competition?
No that was unrelated to competitions, they were talking about the display of time left to Culture Victory. It seems, that the formula calculates turns left according to the input of the last turn only. So if you had a particularly good concert or two last turn, the display can raise your hopes a bit too prematurely.

The same goes for great people. Complete a project or two within a turn, and you'll see turns left to earning a great person considerably reduced. Complete nothing next turn and the estimation will return to one that is calculated only by your points generated from districts and buildings. I seem to recall that it wasn't like this before and lump sump points from a project were not taken into account for estimating the time left to earning the person, but then some patch has changed it to this confusing manner.

Hm, but then how would you explain the scoring in my example? In t204 I have 1256 points and two projects with 1 turn left to completion. t205 my score is 1286, so 30 points were added, obviously just from districts and buildings. Both my projects have been completed now, but where are my points for them?
No idea on the details. I am almost certain that the human player goes before the AI in a given turn, but exactly when things get counted and when they show up in the UI (which may not be at the same time) are all unclear to me.

And unfortunately, I have no time to investigate in the near future, but I hope someone else can and will enlighten us all.

Top Bottom