Compilation of Bugs from the 'Bug' Thread

Breunor

Deity
VERSION 4b -- as of 2/15/2010

This covers bugs up until patch k, post 3002!

Barbarians/Animals

Many games have WOC’s from tigers
There are quite a few Hill Giant bugs. Hill giants are also animal AI so it is likelythe same bug
There are two (I think) games with WoC’s from elephants
Some of these were found in the ‘troubleshooting’ forum. I haven’t listed them but they are easy to find.

The taunt bug and switch to no religion bug were reported, apparently these have been found for the patch K release

Jean Elcard recently may have found the cause of many of these WoC bugs – see post 2750 and Sephi’s response (2751) – also, see 2753 and 2755

Large Stacks

Many bugs in games with very large stacks. Sometimes I have been able to eliminate one or 2 units and it fixes it, sometimes I can’t

One game reported a crash after the Avatar appeared. Another game I couldn’t ‘find’ the cause of the crash, but the Avatar of wrath had just been summoned. Eliminating the Avatar of Wrath doesn’t fix the bug, but maybe the bug is related to mechanics of Armageddon counter being at 90 and summoning him.

XML changes

It appears that some of the Wildmana code was added but XML code changes weren’t merged. The decision not to add the XML changes may have been intentional, but if so there are clearly some compatibility problems

AI Issues

I’ve tried to stick to bug fixes – obviously, the line between a ‘bug’ and an ‘unintended design’ is hard to establish. I’m not going to list most of the AI complaints, but the warrior spam seems to garner the largest number of complaints. This issue is especially prevalent in some of the scenarios, where you ‘start’ at was, may be a continent away, and the AI spams warriors instead of expanding.

Latest FfH version – 0.41m. This thread is through patch l

I’m attempting to put together a comprehensive bug list from the ‘bug report’ thread. I’ve done my best here. Here are some of the parameters.

I’m not including bugs in multi-player, since they entail a whole set of other issues and should be covered in a separate thread. We have of course had rampant OOS issues, but these can be caused by bugs so getting bugs cleared may be a priority.

I’m only including bugs listed in the bug thread and a few Scenarios.

I’ve not included bugs that have been subsequently fixed or appear to have been answered; of course what has been ‘answered’ is somewhat subjective. I apologize for any errors I may have made.

I started at post 1300, but I may have missed a few. This should be about since .41 came out.

I also have categorized them; again, the categorization is also somewhat subjective.
Finally, this is CORE FfH only, I omitted any FF or other modmod errors.

CTD’s or WOC’s

I’m listing those with games posted. Some of these are older versions so may be hard to trace now. These are crashes where the cause isn’t known.

Post 1402, post 1440, post 1443 (this is a crash of the Momus scenario)
Post 1537, post 1888, post 1969, post 2046 (this is a crash on loading, with a python error message), post 2130, post 2139, post 2163, post 2231, post 2312

Known CTD or WOC

Post 1304 – Fix to ‘Dwarven smith’ crash listed – not sure if it was fixed?

In post 1408, it was reported that returning a captured city to its original owner automatically razed the city – in post 1496 it was reported that it caused a CTD

Post 1523, 2237, 2334 Harlequin’s taunt causes a CTD; see 2903, 2904, it looks like Sephi and Kael found this one

Post 1623 and 2070 – Upgrading Frigates to Kuriotate airship causes a CTD

Post 1722, 1994, and 2104 – WOC – I discovered that the ‘WOC’ was caused by the Svartalfar units trying to embark onto a hidden nationality ship. I fixed it by changing the ship to HN in the worldbuilder. I looked for this error because it reminded me of the old bug fixed by Sto.

[Possibly related] Post 2135. post 2302 – Svaltalfar stack having hidden and non hidden nationality units causes a crash. It is fixed by removing the hidden nationality from those units.

Post 1974 – Crash when exploring a lair with multiple units

Post 2017 – Crash after Auric Ascended is lost

Post 2076 – Crash when unit with a command promotion converts a unit while defending

Post 2096 – Crash when a catapult unit with a strength of 0.0 is selected

Many posts – Black Tower Scenario crashes if entering from scenario menu
Radiant Guard – Crashes after victory (Confirmed later in 2513)

Post 2254 – Crash after terrain screen, fixed when movies turned off

Post 2259 – Crash with custom games, fixed by removing Blue Marble

Post 2274 – Odd series of events – Elohim cast worldspell, take over an Sheaim city with an Illian unit in it. Game plays OK but if the worldbuilder is used to eliminate the Illian unit, it causes a Python error and crashes.

2293 – Experiment showed can load all scenarios from main menu except Blood of Angels and Against the Wall

2390 – CTD, save attached. (I haven’t gone back to see why, sorry.)

2456 – Save attached, WOC (Again, I didn’t investigate it).

2507 – WOC caused by elephant, save attached (fixed in 2509)

2508 – Crash after Avatar of Wrath appears

2521 – First summon tiger bug reported, fixed in 2531

2542 – CTD. I couldn’t find the cause, but the game was so huge that it took minutes to move to the next turn even when I got it to work. It may have been resource related.

2558 – CTD if switch from a religion to ‘No state religion’

2561 – Save attached, Crash from Hill giant, fix in 2568

2566 – Crash form summon tiger, fix attached in 2569

2572 – WoC, summoned tiger bug, fix attached (original in troubleshooting thread)

2585 – Crash if a unit is revealed when on the same square as an enemy unit (Breunor note – I actually always wondered about this…)

2606 – 2607 – Crash from a huge stack (over 250 units) fixed by eliminating top beastmaster.

2611 – Summon tiger WoC, fixed in 2619

2620 – Crash caused by powerful (level 7) tiger – fixed in 2631

2626 2632– Crash caused by a barbarian skeleton guarding a mound, about to be attacked by the two drown. Fix in 2631

2654 – WoC caused by barbarian elephant, fixed in 2656

2664 – Crash. I think it may be the Avatar of Wrath problem, but there are cases where I can get the game to play on, it is a very complex crash. See 2671

2682 – WoC. I fixed it by eliminated 2 firebows in an Amurite city, see 2689

2684 – Crash caused by cultural expansion taking over a private village

2698 – CtD, summon tiger bug

2710 – CtD, Hill giant bug

2734, 2735, 2747 – WoC. It is caused by the square where the player and Lanun both have their main armies, together because of Nox Noctis. I can’t find one or a group of units causing the problem,

2750 – Jean Elcard reports major bug which may be cause of some of the WoC’s. 2751, Sephi responds and agrees and has some code recommendations

2753 – Jean Elcard reports breaks in promotion focus. 2754 Sephi responds with fixes

2763 – Enraged settler causes a crash – fix posted in 2767

2794 – Hill giant bug – I think this was caused by a barbarian hill giant entering the cultural range through culture expansion

2826 – Taunt spell causes a crash – (see 2903 and 2904 as stated above)

2825 and 2828 – Complex WOC, caused by a barbarian warrior with hidden nationality. My suspicion is that it was a Sidar unit that became hidden, and then turned barbarian (not paid)?

2840, 2841 – Elephant bug (WoC)

2843 – CTD - Culture expansion bug, but Emptiness was able to trace it scientifically. Culture expanded to a tribal village guarded by a goblin. Removing the goblin in the worldbuilder produces a scout from the village – so probably the crash is from the goblin and scout being in the same square

2848 – Summon tiger bug

2871, 2875 – Probably the Avatar of Wrath bug

2872, 2876 – Almost certainly summon tiger bug

2890 – No state religion bug (see 2905, 2908 with fixes)

2891 and 2892 – In a dungeon adventure, the game crashes if a dwarf is on the map after turn 40. Reasons explained.

2913– Tiger bug (WoC), fixed 2931

2939 – Ctd, caused by two workers (each has 4 XP’s!). Deleting either or both clears the bug,

2958 – Tiger bug. Emptiness provides substantial detail, very informative post

2977, 2992 – CtD reported but no save attached.

2998 – Avatar of Wrath bug

3008 - CtD, tiger bug, fixed 3015

3009 - WoC, Wolf, fixed 3016

Python Errors

1844 – Python error on creating Mercurian Gate

2046 – Python error loading (Breunor - I’ve also listed this under CTD’s)

2379 - Complex

Game play errors

1422- Royal Guards are made obsolete by knights, even though you can build only 4 knights.

1439 – Cannot cast enchanted blade on a Stygian Guard, but if a normal melee unit is stacked with the Stygian guards, the enchanted blade promotion will be passed to them

1441, 1970, 2125 – Units hired by Magnadine can get multiple weapon promotions

1450’s - Hell terrain not appearing

1459 – Blood spatter from chariots and apes appears to be excessive (Breunor - I’ve also experienced this)

1525 – Alkazan’s mirror doesn’t get the Elven trait

1530 – 1525 – Dragons can be affected by Wither but cannot be healed (not sure if this is a bug or a design issue, but it does look weird).

1597 – Plains maps get no mana nodes

1615 – Rites of Oghma causing weird effects

1679 – Apocalypse (AC = 100) apparently causing double losses, may be hitting twice?

1727 – Mirror of Heaven appearing in mountains

1816 – XP’s being granted above 100 for killing barbarians

1861 – Could not build boar riders except in captured (Svartalfar) cities even with stables

1909 – The Khazad captured a Luchiurp city with a settler – they got a mud golem with a dwarven promotion

1918 Genesis changes vitalized flood plains, pretty apparently a bug. {NOT CLEAR IF FIXED IN PATCH E}

1987 – Bane Divine didn’t kill units from enemy Civ’s

1988 – If a Civ has adopted the slavery civic, and kills Abashi, they get a human slave who can breathe fire

1997, 1998 – bug in reported alignment after switching to ‘no religion’ (Breunor – Not clear if there are other impacts. Note that a crash was reported for this in post 2558)

1999, 2062 – Luchiurp are not eliminated, even when ‘complete kills required’ is not in play, when their last city is captured if the Pieces of Barnaxus are in play.

2000 – The Pieces of Barnaxus mixed with the Hall of Mirrors creates multiple Barnaxus’

2024 – Two Elohim cities have the same name which causes a host of issues

2036 and 2041 (with save) – Monument event doesn’t give the +1 health if that option is chosen

2039 – If more than one faction of the same civilization is in play, all those factions get a free disciple if any faction gets the tech for a new religion

2057 – Psychopath event doesn’t give the 10 XP’s to the axeman

2062, 2063-2065 – Settlers on islands not forming cities. Speculation is that the computer understands it can build the settler three away during production but the third ring isn’t being used for islands.

2126 – Automated workers don’t understand the third ring for a city with ‘City of 1000 slums’. (Speculation as to whether this is true for Kuriotate cities)

2186 – City gets happiness from Pool of Tears when it is in the third ring, if the city’s culture extends that far, even if they don’t have the City with 100 slums promotion or is a Kuriotate city

2193 - Mirror of Heaven not providing Sun Mana. Subsequent posts discuss, may be caused by the 'use all unique features' option

2220 - Bug in CasterNoDuration tag. Solution posted.

2288 – Reported that privateer turned against human builder

2292 – Chariot penalty for attacking forests not applied to ancient forest (Breunor – I’m assuming this is an oversight, a bug, not a play feature)

2296 – If Basium, Hyborem, or Auric Ascended is created from Hall of Mirrors, and the duplicate dies, the Civ suffers the penalty of losing the leader

2306 - Potential loss of units when multiple boarding parties attack from same square (potential solution is post 2308, that it corrects at the end of turn)

2310 - Afforess found a bug in the core CIV code that can apply to a Mod that allows a ship's boarding limit to exceed it is initial value (Like FfH II). Apparently this doesn't trigger in FfH II because the AI doesn't use it, but there is potential for the bug to be triggered especially with AI improvements being implemented

2365 – AI workers on the same node try to build different mana, canceling each other

2384 – Minister Koun starts without techs on splitting

2393, 2398, 2470, 2473 – Cannot request Allies or vassals to change religion

2411 – Goblin forts disappearing, not from ‘For the Horde’

2423, 2459 – End of Winter option not working properly

2480 – Bug in Civ4religionsInfo.XML, Runes of Kilmorph refers to Mind stapling instead of Arete (see 2481)

2482 – Sephi recommends removal of a check

2524 – Unusual settler activity after map regenerated (not clear if the map regeneration is a cause)

2526 – Mistforms in a mana hex appear to disrupt ownership even though theya re invisible

2532 – Treasure chests prevent victory if ‘requires complete kill’ option in use

2546 – Sephi merged some bug fixes

2550 – Khazan Smith event, +1 hammers were available even though the city didn’t have a forge

2552 – TumTum got 2 Orthus’ axes

2557 – Courtesan got an afraid to attack message, enemy didn’t have fear

2559 - +1 unhappiness from ‘moaning sobs’ event not occurring

2598 – Sephi posts code based on stealing plots given a larger radius which isn’t possible in base BtS

2648 – Enraged swordsman event doesn’t give the +10 XP’s

2672 –Kuriotates didn’t upgrade a settlement even though only one settlement left

2679 – Couldn’t load Hemah onto a boat (Breunor speculation- Maybe Hemah was attached to a group that was too large?)

2683 – Human automated workers do not do not build roads, etc. just improve specialties. In 2699, it is reported that when the cultural border goes to the third ring, they will work the third ring but not the inner 2. In 2707, it is reported that the human automated workers do one task and then stop

2718 – AI settler issue – Sheelba not starting a city. (Breunor note – 5 Civ’s on a tiny map in this case)

2745 – Sephi gives code to eliminate some OOS errors

2755 – Sidar have trouble waning when ‘Blood of the Phoenix’ is cast

2843 – Complex issue – Emptiness found that if a barbarian unit has equipment, it is captured by an AI player, and recaptured by the barbarians, the item is duplicated

2862, 2865 – Sephi bug fixes

2867 – Ira’s with Orthus Axe get +2 strength on a kill; A repentant anger with Orthus axe does not lose a strength point if it kills a living unit with Orthus axe

2869 – Errors in Erebus mapscript described

2900 – In a medieval start, 2 Lucians start

2901 – report automated workboats aren’t going to resources – (Breunor note – were they occupied by a barbarian naval unit?)

2932 – Unique features don’t provide benefits on flood plains

2936 – Two Timor mask in game

2838 – Weird bug; in a High to Low, after the 2nd switch (3rd Civ), research costs set to one for most techs and very low numbers for very expensive ones

Perhaps is a feature

1901 and 1911 – The Shrine of the champion, with warrens, gives the benefit only to the first unit built. The Dereptus Brewing gave the +2 XP’s to the first unit with warrens, not both

1316, 2118 - Barbarians build a city on a mana node

1996 – Ancient forest disappear from ice

2012 – Can sacrifice a ‘Host of the Eihenjar’ on the Pyre of the Seraphic, which is overpowered if it isn’t a bug. Again posted in 2629

2105 – Middle tier priests promoted to druids can cast high priest spells. (Monkeyfinger speculates they should have medic instead)

2106 – Worldbreak can destroy palaces? If this is a feature, the AI should learn to build its palace as a very high priority

2226 - Can get gold from blockades during stasis

2227 – Hire mercenary doesn’t scale with game speed

2228 – Drowning doesn’t scale with game speed

2230 – Clan of Embers units can promote from warriors and axemen to level 4 ogres but not level 3 ogres

2240, 2268 – Basic tech builds ignored (Breunor – Presumably to be fixed in Wildmana AI merge). 2287 talks about poor culture understating by the AI.

2241- 2268 Issues with Hidden nationality with units always at war (Breunor – I didn’t understand this thread so I may be misinterpreting)

2280 – Vampires can’t attack after feeding

2301 – Basium doesn’t get free buildings from wonders built before coming into the game

2366 - Defying an Overcouncil resolution did not lead to expulsion

2444- Weird bloodpet behavior, save attached

2456, 2689, many others – AI not promoting units (Breunor: Maybe it is waiting to get into combat?)

2471 – Withdrawal error – (Monkeyfinger speculated it may have been from ‘fear’)

2621 – A host of problems with Basium not starting with summoner’s religion. (see 2642)

2621 – Shouldn’t demagogues always have the state religion?

2634 – Kuriotates maybe should be allowed to get a culture victory with 2 cities on small maps. (I guess this is a general issue for small maps.)

2642 – Basium can become a vassal of Hyborem

2655 – Unyielding Order stops revolts in progress but not subsequent revolts; code included to fix

2655 - Suggested code for changing temple of the Hand and thawing (Breunor: Not sure what is meant here)

2675 – Many people report issues with picking up equipment if taken by an HN unit

2787 – Kuriotates cannot found a shrine in a settlement with a great prophet

2791 – Should sanctuary work on the Elohim master if the Elohim are vassals? On Civ’s with open borders? (Breunor note – may be necessary to stop Shadows and the like from these Civ’s)

2810, 2815 – Werewolves have the racial promotion of the attacking/winning werewolf, not the original unit

2819 – Vitalizing a vassal is considered an act of war

Cosmetic Issue

1782 – Letum Frigus affects you before notice is given, and then is given a few turns later

1930 Combat graphics issue

1973 Infernal Beastmasters graphic issues

2180, 2185 Female Elohim mages upgrade to male archmages. More common issue with recon line

2267 – Demagogues from ‘Crusade’ should start with the highest metal so as to not have to go through moving them to cities; Hyborem and Basium units also. Basium should be forced to control the Mercurian Gate. Treants created form the Ljosalfar world spell should start fortified to avoid required micromanagement. Bannor should not be forced to leave the Overcouncil to maintain crusade

2280 – Hammers from governor’s manor reported in wrong place (see 2307 below).

2305 - If you click on the city screen and hit escape, the detail screenshot doesn't clear

2307 - Bug in CVGameTxtMgr cause the hammer total to displayed incorrectly for the pillar of chains and Governor's Manors

2381 – Many Civilopeida and text errors in ‘BtS’ section of Civilopedia

2383 – Strong and weak promotions sometimes say +1% or -1% instead of +1 or -1

Several – Auto cast removed, should be removed from the feature list

2389 – Text error when investigating cities with certain units (Breunor note: Not sure I understand this issue)

2391 – Catapult barrage listed at -40%

2461 – Civilopedia errors, see 2463 for fix

2553 – Messages that the Barbarians are creating Acheron get spammed after Acheron is killed (also 2644)

2556- Text error for arcane units performing summoning

2590 – No message given when casting a spell may cause war with a neighbor unlike older versions

2618 – Denev posts fixes to some text errors

2644 – Espionage points mentioned

2725 – Overcouncil vote says ‘UN resolution adopted’

2895 – A ‘too afraid to attack’ notice will appear even for units that attack

2920 – Change to tag name

2944 – Assassin’s upgraded to marksmen have a speed of 3 but longbowmen to marksmen are 4

2979 – Stasis appears not to cancel GPT deals, which can cause ruinous economic impact if trading GPT (This is probably a bug)

[to_xp]Gekko;8318398 said:
great job Breunor. this will undoubtely be very useful. you should also post a link to this thread in the bug thread ;)

Thanks, good idea!

Best wishes,

Breunor

I had thought that 1901 and 1911 - the error with the warrens, that warrens were supposed to only allow the first unit built promotions and the second unit would recieve none. This counts promotions from all sources except the adept's free upgrade promotion they get for being built. I am not sure if this was changed, but when I first started playing (back in.33) it was stated that warrens gave you a second unit without the xp and the first unit with the xp. This was stated in the manual.

-Colin

1790 – Priests of winter that are promoted lose the ability to control the storms (Again, this may be as designed but then that is weird)

This is really, really easy to fix (I did it in the Tweakmod). Just tie Call Blizzard to Divine promotion and the Illians. That way, both priests classes get it, and so do any priests you capture through Domination/the Command promotions.

I had thought that 1901 and 1911 - the error with the warrens, that warrens were supposed to only allow the first unit built promotions and the second unit would recieve none. This counts promotions from all sources except the adept's free upgrade promotion they get for being built. I am not sure if this was changed, but when I first started playing (back in.33) it was stated that warrens gave you a second unit without the xp and the first unit with the xp. This was stated in the manual.

-Colin

Thanks Colin. When I get a minute, I'll list it as 'perhaps a bug or perhaps a feature' type section.

Best wishes,

Breunor

With September coming in, I'll update for the last month's new postings. If you can, try also to report 'old' bugs that haven't been fixed that I won't catch by reading through the bug thread.

Unfortunately, I'll be about for about a week so I'll try to get to it during next week.

Best wishes,

Breunor

1316: Barbarians building cities on mana nodes

That can also be a player as well. I built one on a built node, and I believe when I removed the city, it got rid of the node, that part I'm not 100% sure about, but the rest I am.

1316: Barbarians building cities on mana nodes

That can also be a player as well. I built one on a built node, and I believe when I removed the city, it got rid of the node, that part I'm not 100% sure about, but the rest I am.

That's not a bug

I was under the impression that python code both blocked settlers from settling on mana, and deleted mana that was settled upon. However, Barbarian cities are not founded by settlers, so these python blocks don;t apply to them.

Updated. I wanted a listing of the bugs I could find before the Wildmana merge.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I can confirm that the bug reported in post 1087 is still present in patch j. Since it's already been reported I figure it didn't need another post in the bug thread, but we wouldn't want it getting lost since it's not on the Big List. :)

I can confirm that the bug reported in post 1087 is still present in patch j. Since it's already been reported I figure it didn't need another post in the bug thread, but we wouldn't want it getting lost since it's not on the Big List. :)

Thanks Morlock. This is helpful. I don't have the early bugs (before post 1300) so I appreciate the report of any bug from back then that are still present.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Top Bottom