1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Complaining about complaining

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by StittsvileJamie, Oct 30, 2016.

1. White Out

White Out Prince

I feel like people who are complaining about Civ 6 have no memory of Civ 5 on release. I wish there was a way steam could show how much I played civ 5 and how much I played it with BNW. All of my geek friends and myself stopped playing Civ 5 within a few hours; no religion, boring gameplay, shallow AF. I didn't play civ 5 until BNW. 3 years or so I didn't touch that game, I stuck with civ 4. BNW and GK were incredible add ons and Ed Beech perhaps saved the franchise.

Civ 6 is the most balanced, deep, and nuanced vanilla release of Civ that I can recall. It will be improved, and their are areas for it to improve. But when I read some peoples trashing of the game it honest to god reminds me why I avoid forums for most games to begin with: people love to ***** and moan and to hear the sound of their own voice while complaining.

Civ 6 is a mastepiece of a vanilla 4x game. I can't wait for modders and the devs to get this game built up from here. And until then I can deal with a few issues

Ferocitus, oedali and Nefelia like this.
  2. bladex

bladex Emperor

1. there is enough for me
    2. agree needs to be fixed ASAP
    3. fix THIS!
    4. i don't play games for their GFX
    5. WAT?
    6. use policies to make them cheaper in the begiining
    7. agree they are fine
    8. don't care
    9. probably
    By all means though, complain about the AI, which is garbage: IT IS

3. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

1. I personally don't mind the smaller variety of units in the game, as it allows each unit to shine at a particular point, while later remaining weak but relevant. Of course, we will likely see options for a hell of a lot more units once the modding community gets going.

2. Theological battle is certainly an improvement over Civ V. Protecting one's religion isn't difficult: just fight them in your territory with a numerical advantage and good battle tactics. Get the promotion that grants +20 to theological strength and stack up other bonuses to theological battle.

Stacks were ridiculous, but they were all we knew at the time. 1UPT was a step up from that, and now the layering of support/civilians with melee and the introduction of corps/armies is a further improvement. I find it extremely unlikely that the Civ series will ever return to stacks, as we now have a superior system that can and should be even further improved.

District costs may be an issue. I've dealt with it by harvesting resources near my newly built cities in the mid/late game. Triangle farms and normal mines are more than enough to get a city going once the stone/copper/whatever has been harvested.

I love Civ VI, but it does need some patching. First and foremost, the AI needs to be addressed, but that has been said a few thousand times already. Similarly, the pacing of the game (zipping through the eras at a ridiculous speed) needs to be slowed. Even running a mod that slows the tech by era doesn't slow the game enough for my liking. Eh well, looks like I'll have to fiddle around with the files myself.

4. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

I'll stop complaining about 1upt when they either remove it or at least implement it in a more reasonable manner. The changes to the system between 5 and 6 show that Firaxis is at least somewhat listening to the complaints. The restriction on military units makes some kind of sense, even if it don't personally like it, but not being able to stack non-military units, like great people, is annoying and still hasn't been addressed. You didn't mention the abysmal UI decisions that were made, so I'm going to assume that we are all allowed to still complain about that. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, its been read and rejected since you didn't bother to provide any points beyond you simply not liking these topics which no one is forcing you to read.

Zuizgond likes this.
  5. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Warlord

So basically we should all just be yes men (or women) and should only complain about things the OP deems are topics that he also wants to complain about. I think continuing debate is a good thing - it indicates areas of controversy which can be thought about further by the developer or modders as something that has sufficient demand to be looked at and addressed.

Jeckel and Zuizgond like this.
  6. Cao Cao Mengde

Cao Cao Mengde Warlord

The issue is that it's not debate anymore. The issue is that it's getting repetitive. It'd be much more productive if we had a single stickied thread to address these major issues so we can avoid cluttering the hell out of the forums and burying unrelated threads under this...for lack of a better word, spam!

7. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

That's a great idea!

Ferocitus likes this.
  8. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Warlord

And the devs have already admitted 1upt is wrong direction by including sort of limited stacking. I could see, and really hope for some more stacking improvement being added in civ6 with patches and expansion!

Jeckel and Zuizgond like this.
  9. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I think you are projecting. The stacking on Civ6 isn't even in the same ballpark as what advocates of stacking want. There's a new class of support units that can stack with the primary unit.

An early support unit let's your melee units ignore city walls when attacking. There are later units that heal your units or increase the ranged attacks of your ranged units by I tile.

They are essentially buildable unit promotions that can be switched around and attached to different units.

10. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Warlord

And you can merge units of the same type into one. Hey, thats stacking! :)

Jeckel and dexters like this.
  11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I will grant you that!

12. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

This thread is demoralizing. The game is in bad shape.

Zuizgond and Roald Amundsen like this.
  13. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Just ask jon shafer lead designer of civ 5, he agrees ;)

Roald Amundsen likes this.
  14. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Warlord

If that's sarcasm, then I agree - that's not stacking. It's combining multiple units into one single more powerful unit (like the Archons in Starcraft) - which is a bit weird.

Anyhow, maybe threads dedicated to particular issues (like stacking (for and against), poor combat ai, escalating district costs, lack of a build queue, poor user interface etc) can be created, and then the link referenced in a sticky post.

I'm not sure what that leaves for 'normal' posts, but I haven't been here long enough to know what the norm is.

15. Sascha77

Sascha77 Prince

I chuckled at that bit - although we do have to remember that this incident involved offensive weapons in the form of medium range nukes, capable of hitting every city in Teddy's empire.. :p

There's a difference between *offensively* stationing nukes in such a way as to threaten the other country's entire population and putting a couple of garrison units into a border-city simply for defense. Especially when the AI constantly park a gazillion troops on my borders and I can't even ask them to pull them back or denounce them over it.

S.

16. salty mud

salty mud Deity

OP sounds like a whining brat. He insists people's opinions can be wrong whilst responding with his own opinions. Delicious irony.

Zuizgond likes this.
  17. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

Fully agree. 1upt doesn't work well. You need to develop a complex AI script to deal with it but Firaxis did the opposite.

I hoped they learnt the lessons from Civ5, but apparently not.

18. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Warlord

That wasn't sarcasm! Actually meant as an example of devs already trying to work away from 1upt :)

19. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

The hatemob is not nearly as bad as with Civ 5's release or even Civ 4's. Negative nellies are more likely to post here while everyone else is playing the game.

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Just using those 4 characters brings a response from the gallery. Its easier just to not mention them IMO.
    Few things are as powerful as ignoring, and ignorance is bliss.