Complete Series You've Played

civvver

Deity
Just curious how many complete series you've played through where you finished or at least spent a good chunk of time on each game, and which ones were your favorites.

Some series have so many titles it's impossible to play them all! Like mario, I played first, second and third on nes, super mario world on snes and mario64 but lost track after that. Same with zelda, I played a little of twilight princess but never finished. Last zelda game I really rocked out to was ocarina of time, though a link to the past and link's awakening are some of my favorites.

I played every Mass effect title but didn't finish the first one. That's probably tops for me.
I finished all three Dead space games. I feel it's underrated as a series. Supremely scary and good gameplay.
I played every civ through 5, but not the side ones or spinoffs like beyond earth or colonization, just the main series. Probably spent more time on this series of games than any other.
Master of Orion 1 and 2 are amazing but 3 is so different, can't say I love the whole series.
X-wing, tie fighter, x-wing vs tie fighter and x-wing alliance: played em all. Tie fighter is the best.

There were a ton of other series I wanted to play but never got around to like Anno, homm (I played 1,2,3 only), final fantasy (played first one, Japanese 5th on roms), witcher, uncharted (ps4 exclusive), assassin's creed (only played 1st one), gears of war (xbox only).

I think Half-Life and Fallout are the only series I've played. Portal too, but since that's only 2 games I'm not sure it's a series yet, but if they ever make a 3rd I'm sure I'll play it. For the most part, 1 or 2 iterations of a game is enough for me. A lot of sequels fail to engage me, not because they're bad but because I'm spent.

For sure, like I cannot imagine playing every assassin's creed title. The gameplay doesn't change much, all very similar, and there's tons of them. But at the same time drastically changing the gameplay can be a turnoff too like civ series always seems to do, and heroes of might and magic comes to mind. Fallout 1 and 2 are incredibly different from 3.

Plus many games are just spread out too much for me, like zelda at this point. I'm not going to go track down all the old zelda games I missed like windwaker and majoras mask. Some super old games are very hard to get into now as well, like ultima. Just really clunky at this point, even the "newer" ones like ultima 7.

Dead space I think was as close to a perfect series development as there is. Gameplay improved between each title and the experience was different but not unfamiliar. If you liked one chances are you'd like the next one. The games were released within 5 years of first to last so very accessible. Mass effect is very close to this as well, though I find the difference in combat between 1 and 2 a huge leap in quality, and the story in 3 was a huge letdown.

I played through all Space Quest games and probably liked Space Quest III the most. Had so much fun playing through that one on an Atari ST, back in the 90s. Space quest I and II were.. fun, but it was so hard to figure out some parts. If you got stuck, that was it, you could have been stuck for months if you weren't into the whole "looking up spoilers" thing. At the time I played through them that wasn't even an option, unless you managed to find some gaming magazine that happened to have a playthrough or hints for the exact game you were playing.

I've also played every single Civ game ever made, except for the mobile one. Civ 4:CTP continues to be my favourite. I don't play it anymore, but I spent a LOT of time in that game.

I don't think I've played every single game in any other series. Leisure Suit Larry comes close, but I stopped playing those after they got bad

The only series that I can think of with at least three games that I've played all of would be:
  • Half-Life (including Blue Shift and Opposing Force)
  • The Witcher
  • Fallout (except Tactics)

Of those, Witcher is my favourite series. Don't really care for Witcher 1 all that much, but Witcher 2 was really good. And then Witcher 3. Witcher 3 is probably my favourite game I've ever played. It completely blew me away.

As far as the Fallout series goes, my ranking of the games would be New Vegas>2>1>4>3. New Vegas is along with Witcher 3, one of my favourite games, and I quite enjoyed the original two games. 4 was definitely an improvement on 3, but I'm not that crazy about either Bethesda made Fallouts. Especially 3. I really don't like 3.

I've also played most of the GTA games. Never actually played GTA III, and I haven't gotten around to GTA V yet, since I'm not interested in the multiplayer and it doesn't seem to go on sale much on Steam. Of the ones I have played, San Andreas is by far my favourite.

Complete series that i have played the whole way through and spent a good chunk of time on each version:

- Mass effect 1,2 & 3
- Half life 1 & 2
- Portal 1 & 2
- XCOM 1 & 2 (the new ones, i missed out a load of the older titles)
- Civ2, Civ 3, Civ 4, Civ 5, Civ 6 (Although i played 1, it was the first one i played and having enjoyed it, i went straight in a bought civ 2)
- The walking dead season 1 & 2
- Bioshock 1 & 2, Bioshock Infinite + all DLC & if you want to include it, system shock 2
- Doom, Doom 2, Doom the plutonia experiment (and its unofficial mod plutonia 2), Doom 3, Doom (the recent release)

And some honorable mentions that i have dipped into but not played all of the titles

- Dragon Age
- Heroes of might and magic
- Unreal
- Elder scrolls
- Quake
- Monkey Island
- Alien vs Predator
- Master of orion (the only one i have never played is 3, and i dont think that will change any time soon)
- Sonic the Hedghog
- Mario
- Mortal Kombat

Tbf, theres actually quite a lot i could list here so i think ill stop there :D

I've played Mass Effect 1-3, all the Assassin's Creed games (except the Chronicles trilogy), Civ 2-5 and Elder Scrolls II - V, as well as Portal 1 & 2 and Might & Magic VI, VII & VIII.

I've also played most of Black Isle/Bioware's early D&D-style games, such as Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (plus the MMO) and even Jade Empire.

- Myst series. Take it from me: The first two games are the complete story, Myst 3 is okay, and the rest are horrid.

- Monkey Island. The first one will always be the most essential to play. The rest coast on this strange sense of unfulfillment.

- Half-Life and Half-Life 2. Yep, HF1 expansions included. It's all good! For different reasons!

- Portal 1 is a classic. Portal 2 is, like much of Pixar's recent output, good but calculated good.

If we go with the very strict "spent time playing EVERY SINGLE iteration of a serie" (though I only consider the "main games", not the spin-offs), and we consider a serie something which has at least 3 iterations (if not, there is a ton of "serie" with only two titles that would dilute the value of the point), then it drastically lower the amount I've played and it's down to :

Civ, obviously. Played all the Civ but the last one (though I barely touched the fifth), and also Alpha Centauri and the Civ2 spin-offs.
The Witcher trilogy.
Mass Effect trilogy.
Dragon Age trilogy.
Assassin Creed (the Desmond story, so 1 to 3 including the three AC2 games).
Doom 1, 2, 3.
Quake 1, 2, 3 (Quake 4 isn't made by ID Software so I don't count it).
Ishar 1, 2, 3.
Age of Empire 1, 2, Mythology.
Wing Commander 1 to 5.
Homeworld 1, 2, Cataclysm.
Warcraft 1 to 3 plus WoW.

Special disclaimer about series that I "nearly" finished, but lacked one iteration :
Civilization (didn't play the 6, barely played the 5).
Fallout (didn't play the fourth).
Total War serie (didn't play the Warhammer title).
Galactic Civilization (didn't play the first).
Europa Universalis (didn't play the first).
The Elder Scrolls (didn't play Arena).
Elite (didn't play the first).

There is also a lot of serie I played some games, but missed some (like GTA, Tomb Raider, C&C, Spellforce, Final Fantasy, etc.).

All this is from the top of my head & a cursory glance at my games HD. I probably missed a TON.

The Witcher trilogy. I still feel the first one is the best and most RPG like. Despite incredible atmosphere, I didn't like Witcher 3 as much as most people. Witcher 3 is just too much busywork, the same flaw DA: Inquisition has.
Dragon Age trilogy: Again the first one is by far the best
Fallout series: (except console only games) Fallout New Vegas is my favorite of the series. A good blend of shooter action with the RPG elements of the older games. Fallout 2 is my 2nd favorite.
Mass Effect series: I still feel the first one has the tightest story and most RPG elements, but I did love the emotional impact of #3 (aside from the ending which had really no emotional impact), the total war aspect was pretty ominous and cool.

Infinity engine series: I've played the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind dale series, and Planescape: Torment (haven't played the new one yet though, but that isn't infinity)
Neverwinter Nights series. #2 is the best even if it doesn't have the user made content that #1 had.
Wasteland series: I couldn't beat the first one when I was a teenager. That game was hard. I quite enjoyed Wasteland 2.
Diablo series: #2 is the best of the series.

Top Bottom