1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

complete tech tree

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by TheDS, Jan 15, 2006.

1. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

Yes, that's right, the tech tree the game displays (and that you can find handily on the front page
    of this site) is incomplete... MAJORLY! So here is the completed tech tree.

WARNING: I suck at art, so this isn't the prettiest thing. All I did was add lines to the existing
    graphic. RED lines depict a link present in the XML file that is technically not needed and could
    be removed, because the tech's prereqs already have this as a prereq, making it redundantly
    unneeded so you don't need it. :D

ALSO, I couldn't figure out how to get it to display this in game, so if someone has that information,
    please post it.

And now, the pic.

Attached Files:

2. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Firsty, I hate to say it, but the red lines are wrong. The arrows represent "OR" techs, and as, for example, you can get drama without meditation, there is no redundancy.

Secondly, the tech tree isn't static, but instead generated dynamically by a python script when you start the game, therefore you'd need to mess with the python file instead.

3. ekanata

ekanata Chieftain

I used to consult here

4. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

Pretty pretty colors!

Er, anyway, uh... dynamically? Holy guacamole! But then that leads to the question of: why in the world, if the tech tree isn't the same each time, doesn't the game also dynamically draw the lines as they are needed? Instead, I try to research Monotheism after I've got Mysticism, thinking I need Polytheism first but not Masonry, and it wants me to research Masonry as well. So why wasn't there a line telling me I needed it? What's the point of clicking on "big picture" (and for once, they take that literally) if you don't get to see what's really going on?

I'm not blaming you, of course, but you seem to have a better grasp of this than I'm having, so I would welcome your input.

5. MrUnderhill

MrUnderhill Civ-loving Hobbit

Here's an image to help you.

6. MrUnderhill

MrUnderhill Civ-loving Hobbit

Yechh! That didn't come out right at all.
    Okay, basically the techs shown on the right-hand corners are "AND" techs:
    You need those no matter what.
    The techs with arrows leading from them are "OR" techs:
    These you can mix and match however you want.

I always thought it was a little backwards ("AND" techs should have arrows, not "OR" ones). Which brings up another question: If the tech tree is drawn up from a script, how hard would it be to reverse the arrows in Python?

7. ekanata

ekanata Chieftain

IMHO the current representation helps us to plan beelining path based on current requirement. For example, if it was shown like your proposal, it will be more difficult to determine that the fastest route to music is through mysticism(50), polytheism(100), priesthood(60), writing(120), alphabet(300), literature(200), and mathematics(250).

Removing your red path is misleading. For example, if it was removed, then people would think that philosophy can be reached through polytheism-priesthood route, without needing meditation.

About dynamic techtree, it's the same old tree in all the game I've played. But may be if someone modify an xml file that dictate the requirement of some tech, the code that draw the tree could re-route some its arrow accordingly.

8. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Prince

I and some others created a reference guide including a tech tree. Please take a look here.

I'm still thinking of reordering the boxes to match up with the techtree ingame, but you know..... time ;) .

I also thought of doing this ingame, through pyton, but after finding the correct file to edit I didn't know where to start.:crazyeye:

9. Laucian

Laucian Chieftain

The red lines may not be entirely correct, there actually is one line that should be red. And that is the connection Nationalism - Fascism. It is useless, since you'll have Nationalism from Constitution-Corporation-Assembly Line-Fascism.

10. Padmewan

Padmewan King

As someone creating a completely new tech tree for a mod, the fact that "or" techs create lines but "and" techs don't give me some flexibility when trying to lay out a legible mod. For example, if a line between two techs would create spaghetti, I can make it an "and" tech and not have the line show up. This is a problem when I really do want to have "or" techs because I don't have that choice -- and since there are more "or" than "and" options, almost by definition, I have to say it is a little weird that it's the "or" techs that get the line. But, whatever.

11. Laucian

Laucian Chieftain

It probl;ably was the only way they could make the standard tech tree or something