Completely New Fantasy Mod

Varlin Saliptor

Does not hate the future.
What would you say if I suggested creating a comepletely original fantasy mod?

"You're crazy!! There are so many already!!" right?

Well...I am not...and there aren't...

This would be made completely from scratch, and probably wouldn't be out until waaay after civ4 comes out. It would have a brand new map, all original civs and units, tech tree...EVERYTHING!!I figured I'd see if i could lasso a few others out of the real world with me, so I wouldn't be doing it all by myself (like Rule The World).

Race (as in culture groups) Suggestions are:

Human
Elves
Dwarves
???
???

There are a multitude of units out there, and hopefully a bit of interest. ;)
I am thinking no more than 25 civs. I already have a few ideas...

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, or wants to help, than please post here.

There are indeed many fantasy mods...

Thus there is no meaning in creating another one, unless one is having some original ideas. I constantly kept that in mind when I was creating Midgard and I think I succeed in giving something worthwhile trying, with fresh ideas (native terrain, map, new unit types).

So, what do you have in mind? It would be lovely to see a new fantasy mod (I always love them!) that has something different than the others.

However you must know that creating a mod from scratch requires very hard work and it takes at least some months. In addition all fantasy mods are based on already existing concepts from other games or literature.

I don't want to disappoint you, just trying to warn you and give you some clues. Good luck, and if you need any help just ask.

No, I know all that. In fact, I have created a mod from scratch, and that has taken a year and a half and it is not even done yet...

I just don't want to base it on something in particular...know what I mean?

By all means, don't let anyone stop you. If you create a new fantasy mod I am sure it will be played and if it is good, more will hop over as well. I know I would at least play it once. Yorgos is right, just about every fantasy mod in existance right now is based off some setting but that does not mean you have to go on anything other than what might be in your head.

I say good luck :)

Sounds good to me..I am a little tired of Fantasy themed worlds that Im not familiar with...knowing that Im missing something by not reading the books involved sometimes makes scenario based changed comfusing...

so something with NO basis would be fun...Im into Discord myself (Discordia the MOD in progress) and being able to impliment any units that you deem apropriate regardless of a storyline, leaves you much room for creative expansion...

Remeber that none of the books were written until they were...I know for a fact that the DragonLance series was written by people after they played a campain of D&D and didnt wanna lose their charecters...perhaps your MOD will be someones inspiration...I look forward to it...

with that said...
Elves
Dwarves
Gnome/halfling/kender/hobbit(I know they are different)
Human(civilized, and plainsmen)
Minotaur
Merfolk
Undead
Goblin/orc
Ogre/giant
cantaur
intelligent animal (ie Narnia)
half/animal type mythical creations for filler civs

just some ideas...

Some other races represented here that could be used:

Giant Spiders,
Lizardmen

Of course, all my wierd units are available (the Mithra Ninja could be used for the Anthropomophic animal faction, the Wutai Ninja could be used for some asian-flavored faction, etc). Aaglo, Kinboat and ED's units could pretty much fill the other factions.

I started a personal one for myself a few months back. It only had three human races (two empire-ish ones,and one nomad civ), Elves, and a Dwarf(ish) one. There were also some 'advanced' barbarians (IE, they were a civ, but they were more aggressive and were usually at war with everyone).

Anyone wanna suggest a faction (civ)?

Im working on a MOD as well, but would be happy to dig stuff up if you make requests I can find...I cant really make units that dont suck...even using good models...so I stick to text and civ.pcx files...andthing I can do in those departments,...I can post links to all the elves I used, I think I covered every unit in my MOD with an elven replacement...

Sounds like a good idea, there can always be more fantasy mods, but if it takes you a year to make it, it might never be played :( Unless, of coarse Civ IV is bad

from what Ive seen of Civ4 I wont be abandoning 3 just yet, Im sure Im not alone in this one...Its looks great, but Im not sure more complicated is better...Im still working on my MOD and its prolly more than a year away

Spacer One said:
Remeber that none of the books were written until they were...I know for a fact that the DragonLance series was written by people after they played a campain of D&D and didnt wanna lose their charecters...perhaps your MOD will be someones inspiration...I look forward to it...

with that said...
Elves
Dwarves
Gnome/halfling/kender/hobbit(I know they are different)
Human(civilized, and plainsmen)
Minotaur
Merfolk
Undead
Goblin/orc
Ogre/giant
cantaur
intelligent animal (ie Narnia)
half/animal type mythical creations for filler civs

just some ideas...

If you're interested in a DL mod, I have one in planning. I've made a list of the civs on a thread I started somewhere.

Hmmm.... I was curently going to ressurect my old mod... Perhaps we could collaborate on one super mod. :evil: I was going to have human civs along with some of the more fleshed out fantasy civs (Orcs, goblins, lizardmen, elves, etc.) in every era (ancient, midieval, industrial/early modern, late modern/sci-fi) I know how it feels to work on a mod all alone, :sad:

Top Bottom