1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer players don't grow on EARTH

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Rowie007, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Rowie007

Rowie007 Chieftain

I like to play the default earth map, usually on King level, and it seems that some civilisations never grow beyond their first city. I suspect their AI tells them not to build settlers until they get to a certain population and their starting location will never grow that big.

Anyone else notice this? The civs in question are: Egypt, Mongols, China - don't know about the others.

2. trada

trada civ1 mod Retired Moderator

Never noticed this. I mean, sometimes the AI does this... but rarely one per game. Never ALL the civs. What version of civ1 do you use?

3. Rowie007

Rowie007 Chieftain

It happens on the Earth map. If I start a game on the Earth map at King level of difficulty - pick Russia as a country for example.

If the Chinese are in the game, they will never build a settler or make a second city. They build military units and send them all the way over to bother me, but never expand beyond Peking.

Same goes for the Mongols and Egyptians. It only happens on the Earth map - on other maps they play fine.

4. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

Interesting thing... unfortunately, I seldom play Earth so I can't say if this is true or not.

5. trada

The Chinese aren't a suprised. I've been watching them for years acting odd. But the Mongols and the Egyptians? Hey yeah, I've never noticed them on EARTH get any bigger.

Try Alt - R at the start of your game (that might fit it).

6. Rowie007

Rowie007 Chieftain

What does Alt-R do?

7. trada

Randomizes the AIs personalities. So they do different things.

And yeah, I just remememememberd this big land war I had in Asia this one time. It was with the Chinese and they definitely had more then one city. ;)

8. ahtsun

ahtsun Chieftain

There is a reason for this:

chiense on earth is surrounded by plains, and can only go up to 2 pop max, hence will never produce enough top produce a settlers.

they usually go for granaries/city walls being a builder civ..

art R might help them to produce a few miliatry units

9. Xeejj

Xeejj Chieftain

If you play with the Babylonians and try to defend the Suez Canal so no other computer players can attack the Egyptians, then the Egyptians starts to expand in Africa after a while, and they grow strong quite fast.