Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Convenience. I highly dislike not having a full shutdown on restart, because quite frankly, not seeing the lights momentarily flicker off is highly disconcerting to me.

2. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Look the other way?

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

1. Restart works the same as it always has, only shutdown is affected.

2. Flickering lights seem like a problem with your electrical system.

3. Enjoying flickering lights seems like a problem with you.

4. There is nothing in the hybrid shutdown method of Win8 that would affect lights. The PC is completely off when you turn it off, it just saves some of the OS state to the hard drive so it can load it quickly when you turn it back on.

4. PlutonianEmpire

Brain fart. I worded my reasons badly. What I mean to say is, while the lights staying on during reboot (I should not have used the word "flicker", nor should I have said "highly disconcerting" either) is merely an annoyance, I'm just not used to the PC not turning completely off.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I still don't really understand the problem.

Are you talking about shutdown or reboots?

Reboot works the same in Win8 as it always has.

Once the computer is off via shutdown in Win8, it's "completely off", same as it's always been.

6. PlutonianEmpire

That's why I asked, because I vaguely recalled hearing that shut downs and reboots were done differently than previous windows versions, that the computer was somehow "less off" during reboots, and I brought shutdowns up because I misread your previous post and I inaccurately thought it meant both reboots and shutdowns.

7. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

Are you talking about the lights in your house, or the indicators on your pc like for caps lock and HDD activity?

Either way, the change has more to do with hardware than software.

8. PlutonianEmpire

The indicator lights, the ones for power and HDD activity. If my computer made my house lights turn off and I never set up a deliberate connection, there would be bigger problems. :p

9. timtofly

timtofly One Day

It is quite possible that the BIOS itself does not completely shut down as in turn all the lights off. That is separate from the OS (Win8.1). Windows does shut down and hand control over to the BIOS. What the BIOS does on this laptop may be what is different for you.

10. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

I was imagining like when you start a wired power tool, the load may cause your lights to dim. Computers don't normally do that, but you never know.

11. PlutonianEmpire

I have my salvaged HDD from a laptop that died 2 years ago, which had Win 7 Pro x64. Where on it would I be able to find my old saved locations for Google Earth?

12. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

13. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

I'm looking to buy a new keyboard, but I have no idea what constitutes a good keyboard (I'll be using it to play games). I have heard that wireless keyboard can not register more than two or three button-presses at a time, which would be inconvenient if I'm playing a platformer. So any advice would be nice.

14. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

Keyboards really depend on your requirements, you can spend $150 on a fantastic keyboard and be utterly unhappy with it.

Beyond fancy features, loud styling, and being good at registering simultaneous keypresses (this is the hard part because there's some dishonesty there for general purpose keyboards, and you get a lot of conflicting info), gaming keyboards tend to use different keyswitches.
    Their key actuations are smooth with little or no tactile feedback. Not very nice for typing.

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

16. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

I have a Corsair Vengeance K95 and am absolutely in love with it. I've tried wireless keyboards before and got fed up with them all to frequenlty failing to register keystrokes and the fact that you have to replace the batteries is a real kick in the head imo. If you plan on using the keyboard for your desktop I recommend a wired keyboard unless you really hate visible wires.

No offense Zelig, but the keyboards you linked to are pretty much for enthusiasts and don't bridge any gaps. They are strictly either/or which is hardly optimal for someone looking to buy (1) keyboard.

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

That's not a problem that any decent wireless keyboards have.

And replacing batteries is hardly much of a chore, a 4-pack of Eneloops will easily last you a decade.

I don't recommend gamers buy (1) keyboard, you compromise too much for either gaming or typing, or both.

Combined, the Logitech G13 and Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic are under $140, cheaper than many mechanical keyboards.

18. Samson

Samson Deity

Couple of questions:

Can anyone recomend a free hosting site that I can just upload a tiny number and size html, js and image files to and have them available? I tried a few from google and they just all seem to make it difficult for you, much harder than geocities 10 years ago.

What happened here? I got my sed wrong, and somehow created a file. I am sure it is right, but I cannot figure out what actually happened, to end up with that filename:

$ sed s/.*>//g
    bash: //g: Permission denied
    $ ll
    total 20
    ---------- 1 user group 0 Jun 18 18:10 sedDW2Sf4

19. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

mediafire works fine

20. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Dropbox.