Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Does Steam use ram/otherwise slow down your computer even if you have disabled it from automatically running when the computer starts? (ie is there anything more you can do to contain it? :p )

2. J-man

J-man Deity

Start task manager and check if it's there.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Hm, a "Steam client" is in the task manager list, but apparently it's not active (has no option to stop)...

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Don't you have a ‘kill process’ option?

I have set it to never start or log in until and unless I explicitly tell it to.

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

It seems this is how I have it set up too, and in the task manager I am only given the option to terminate something that is running. The process does appear on the list, but as inactive (so I am wondering why it is even on the list). It isn't set to run automatically, and you have the option to "start" it from the list but not kill it.

6. Samson

Samson Deity

Has twitter anti-hotlinking measures broken stuff for everyone or just for me?

It used to be that you could copy image links from twitter and embed them in posts here. Sometime recently this started failing for me, I think this was the first time I noticed it. Note the image link is https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF6dmVBWUAU8eXs?format=jpg&name=medium and loads for me as a stand alone image but not within the page, where it is requested with the referer header field of civfanatics.com. It looks like this for me:

Around a similar time I noticed that tweets embedded in news articles seems to be broken. For example there are a load of tweets linked on this page, and they look like this for me:

I do keep my browser pretty locked down, without the closed source DRM codex's and no third party cookies and stuff like that, but I used to be able to see these things. I am just wondering if other people see the same thing, or is it just me?

7. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Thanks a lot, I'll try it out :)

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

It's been happening to other people as well.

Samson likes this.