1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Nevermind. I forgot to click the update button. :p

What are good laptop cleaning services?

AND FOR FREAKING OUT LOUD, DON'T TELL ME TO GET A STUPID CAN OF STUPID AIR. I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT APART JUST TO BLOW AIR ONTO IT. I DON'T WANT TO VOID THE WARRANTY.

2. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

There are none. And you don't need to take it apart. The majority of dust and grime is in the exhaust and the keyboard tray. Either one can be accessed without any disassembly.

Take your can of compressed air, blow out the keyboard tray (just aim the nozzle between the keys). Then, while holding the exhaust fan so it does not spin, blow into the exhaust vent. Congrats, you have just cleaned out 90% of the dust in your laptop.

3. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Yeah, it's pretty basic. Most of the laptops I've worked on, not all mind you but most, you can access the fan from underneath the keyboard. And since the keyboard is usually a user-replaceable part, it doesn't void the warranty to remove it and blow the dust out. Amazing what a shot of compressed air will do in the right place....

4. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Anyone know some cool, shortcut tricks for Windows?

For example, if you create a shortcut on your desktop and put in:

Code:
    mailto:person@email.com
    ...you will create a shortcut to Outlook/Thunderbird that automatically sets up an email addressed to the specified person.

5. Genocidicbunny

Actually, that only works if you have mailto: associated with those programs.

I rarely use my actual desktop (which is why its cluttered) and hence, shortcuts. Windows-R and FAR Manager get me to where I need to be.

6. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Check the parameters for the programs, it is often useful. It depends on the individual programs.

I keep the Recycle Bin in a corner because I used to keep accidentally dragging things into it.

7. Black Bart

Black Bart Chieftain

Can someone show me a link to a free C++ compiler or other helpful programming tools? I want to start messing around a little with programming.

8. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

9. Genocidicbunny

Notepad++ and MiniGW. I wouldnt start with C++ if you're just learning programming. Start with C. The Kernighan and Ritchie book on C is a decent intro.

10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

emacs and gcc. :smug:

11. Genocidicbunny

MiniGW is gcc....

12. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, I'd argue than linux is a better platform to learn to program on than Windows though.

13. Genocidicbunny

Unix > Windows for programming of course, but not everyone wants to change from windows to Unix/Linux to learn how to program.

14. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Virtualbox is wonderful for that, I am myself too comfortable with Windows to run any flavour of Linux as my primary desktop OS.

15. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

The problem with VirtualBox is exactly that: nobody ever uses their Linux box.

16. Till

Till Adventurer

After the recent update, cygwin is now quite viable as a programming platform for simple projects again. You have gcc, make, git, and a bunch of development libraries. Of course if you need to make heavy use of libraries, there's no way around (virtualboxed) linux.

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Question: Is there a way, without any extra hardware, to play videos from my computer on a small CRT TV? No high-definition, no digital. Google's not helping me with this as I keep getting HD/digital.

I don't know for sure if I have a TV-out (is that the right term? I saw it on another forum), but I don't think there's one. I was thinking of connecting it like a dual-monitor but then I realized it may be tricky if the TV is not right next to the monitor, plus I may have programs disappearing onto the other monitor.

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

You have to have a video output on the PC that is compatible with a video input on the TV. Identify all the outputs and inputs and you'll probably know yourself if any can be used.

19. stuge

stuge Emperor

Anyone have an idea why I'm having such trouble with Youtube videos? I've tried four browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE), and only IE doesn't crash frequently because of a Youtube vid. Oddly enough, embedded vids will cause the crash faster than Youtube itself.

20. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It's not obvious. Probably a software conflict of some sort. But hard to say to what. Try upgrade video card drivers, upgrade the other programs that the browsers use to display content.