1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Spec. Required

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by jonh, May 11, 2016.

1. jonh

jonh Chieftain

Does anyone know if the computer specs have been issued, if not, when will they likely be announced.
    Could anyone make an educated estimate of what they might be?

2. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

It hasn't been announced yet but I'd imagine looking at the screenshots that if your computer can run Civ V it can probably run CiVI.

3. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Looks like if your Computer can run Civ III it can probably run Civ VI. 8)

4. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

Not a bad thing. It's just good design and good business to allow everyone to be able to play your game.

5. Frank Sobotka

Frank Sobotka Chieftain

A great design is that the game allows people to play it in directx 9, 10, 11, and 12. Each all have their unique graphic capability.

6. Denkt

Denkt Reader

I guess they want a game that pretty much all civilization 5 players can play without needing a system update.

7. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

I still have my grandfather's old computer from the mid/late 90s. I don't think it has been touched since his death 18 years ago, but looking at the screenshots, I get the feeling I could play Civ 6 on it...

8. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

I wouldn't be surprised if Civ6 is going to be 64-bit only and require DX11.

Not that many people using 32-bit anymore and once you go for 64-bit you might as well pick DX11 instead of DX9.0c

edit: Not that I will be surprised if there is a 32-bit version, but it's not completely obvious anymore that there will be a 32 bit version.

9. civvver

civvver Deity

Not necessarily. Civ5 doesn't look that great by any stretch but it's a performance hog relatively speaking.

10. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I wonder how long it will take them to announce this.

11. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

I can just barely run Civ5 at max settings at 900p with 28 civs on huge maps. I get framerate drops in the late modern era and turn times take a couple of minutes, but it is playable. Hopefully I won't need to upgrade for this.

Still running my AMD Phenom II x4 965BE and my Radeon HD 6870 1GB. If anything I hope I only need to upgrade the GPU, I don't want to have to buy a new mobo and OEM (since the Win10 upgrade ends soon my 7 OEM will be worthless) to upgrade to Intel just yet.

12. m15a

m15a Emperor

If this is true, this would be the best "feature" of the game for me. (Okay, a little bit of an exaggeration. The map-centric stuff sounds great, too.) I could actually afford to buy a "gaming computer", but since Civ is the only game I really *need* to play, I'd still rather I could feel comfortable playing the game on, say, a mid-range 2015 laptop without a dedicated graphics card. The only reason I didn't buy Civ V at launch (or for ~2 years) is because I didn't have a computer that could play it, meaning that I payed probably about $60 less for the game than I would have (since I also got G&K on sale).

13. Pistol

Pistol Chieftain

I just hope they did something with turn time ... it was big minus for Civ5 playing like it need to be played (you cant say you conqured the world if you play on small map with 6 civs ;))

14. Hajee

Hajee Prince

I would say the game will be only 64 bit.

Gal Civ 3 did a only 64 bit and that worked fine for them. Civ has a bigger following, but really, not alot of people who play games have a 32 bit system anymore.

It would make sense to have be 64 bit if the life cycle of the game is 5 plus years.

15. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Yeah Civ5 was a bit of an anomaly in that it required relatively high specced machine to play and was one of the few early multi-core games. Though IIRC, that was patched in later. The very original release did not use all 4 cores or 8 threads in an i7 machine.

I assume Civ6 will be built with multicore from the get go and could see some performance improvements and optimizations without upgrading to a new machine.

The spec requirement would likely be in-line with Civ4's specs. lower-mid end CPUs will be able to play it. I remember beta-testing Civ4 way back in 2005 and I had a mid-range card from 2003 (3.3 ghz P4 with a Radeon 9600 pro) and was told my set-up was perfect. I believe minimum specs for Civ4 was below my specs.

My guess is this game will run on Core 2 duos /Core 2 machines as minimum, GTX 460 minimum. 4GB RAM.

16. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

In my case, Civ 4 official min graphical specs was definitely above that of the machine I owned at the time, and I had bought it only three months before. (The integrated graphics card didn't have dedicated VRAM but simply "borrowed" the main RAM, resulting in things like the "ghost" images of leaders.) Now, Firaxis did spend a few months post release in reducing the actual graphical requirements, and in about a year most of the graphic issues went away entirely.

Back to Civ 6, I highly suspect that Direct X V11+ will be required, perhaps even 11.2 (if that is the case, it would also require Windows 8+ as 11.1 was the last version that supported Windows 7.) Note that even with BE on the same engine as Civ V that the V9 option from Civ V wasn't officially supported in BE.

I would also guess that 64 bit would be required; even if not, I suspect people with 32 bit would be effectively restricted to small maps given turn times.

I would also suspect that those with less than 4 GB of RAM will also effectively be restricted to small maps.

17. civvver

civvver Deity

Look guys, it's 2016. You should have a 64 bit system by now. According to steam hardware survey 88% of users are using some form of 64 bit os. You can't really complain about requiring dx11 or 64 bit, as these things are already like 8 years old.

18. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I think it will be 64-bit, just to get around the 2GB cap if they are indeed serious about mods which it sounds like they are.

And depending on how asset intensive the game is, the core game could be breaking 2GB without a sweat.

19. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

We need to know speed. In my case for this older pc, will it require more than 3.00 GHz? Announce the game announce the specs too. WTH!

20. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor