Conditions for free buildings in newly founded cities

Rod

King
I would really like to know on what techs it depends (or on which civ) which kind of free buildings you receive when you found a new city.

Originally I believed that it depends on the ages.

But then following happened.

I played as Russia and entered Renaissance. I founded Archangelsk (coastal) but I did not get a harbour and only 2 pops.

I played as Turkey and noticed that all new cities start with a foundry, which never happened when I played as Russia.

Could somebody give me any hints on this ?

Obviously you need Sailing to get harbors, but I don't think all civs get them (e.g. Mali gets them as soon as you learn sailing, but Germany/Russia don't). The later the civ spawn, the more free buildings (America/Turkey get 4 buildings). That is why the Dutch are so powerful (they're relatively early but have a lot of free buildings).

Conditions are: age, starting age, discovery of techs such as Sailing and especially Astronomy (astronomy gives a lot of buildings) and at the end it is more or less unique for every nation.

This is actually an interesting topic with regards to domination/conquest games. Early civs (3000 BC starts) are tough with colonization because you start with 1 pop and there's no granary which slows growth quite a bit. The usual chops for theater and forge have to be done after the granary. The hit to your economy is also much larger than the later civs. It also slows down the building "Olympic Park-only" cities (i.e. ones you liberate to your vassals as soon as the OP is done).

From which file can a extract a comprehensive list for Russia ?

From which file can a extract a comprehensive list for Russia ?

If I remember correctly, you should start at CvCity.cpp in CvGameCoreDLL, but I don't remember which function it was. It is in something like init(), I will try to look specifically. You may have to look at several other functions and/or files depending on where the information for the starting era was coming from.

from my memory:

Middle Age: pop 2 + grannary
later starts and euro civs after Astronomy: pop 3 + grannary/harbour/forge/aquaeduct
USA: pop 4 + grannary/harbour/forge/aquaeduct/market/lighthouse

Its also in the civipaedia-entry of the buildings "free for .... start"

I am not exactly certain, but from the code it seems as if RFC has disabled the system that new cities will be more advanced with New Ages and replaced it with a static system, depending on when the civ is born.

So e.g. Netherland will always start with 3 pop in each new city and with free buildings from the third age. (Renaissance ?). Arabia will always start with 2 pop and free buildings from 2 second age (Middle Age?)

The only exception are the European Powers (earlier than Netherland).

If these powers reach Astronomy then their free bonuses will increase one level. That means that initially Spain gets 2 pop and I think granaries. But as soon as it reaches Astronomy it starts every new city with 3 pop and Granaries, Harbour, Forge (Aqueduct ?)

Can somebody maybe check my assumptions with some real examples from the game ? I made a comprehensive list, but I left it at home, so I bring it tomorrow.

So here is the list :

City Start Population

Always 1
case EGYPT: case INDIA: case CHINA case BABYLONIA: case GREECE: case PERSIA: case CARTHAGE: case ROME: case JAPAN : case ETHIOPIA: case MAYA:
Always 2
case VIKING: case ARABIA: case KHMER:
Start with 2 but gets 3 with Astronomy
case SPAIN: case FRANCE: case ENGLAND: case GERMANY: case RUSSIA: case NETHERLANDS:
Always 3
case MALI: case TURKEY: case PORTUGAL: case INCA: case MONGOLIA: case AZTEC:
Always 4
case AMERICA:

Free Buildings (era wise listing)

Free Buildings from era 0 (start - no buildings)

case EGYPT: case INDIA: case CHINA: (3000 BC) case BABYLONIA:

1 (Ancient ?? buildings)
case GREECE: case PERSIA: case CARTHAGE: case ROME: case JAPAN: (3000 BC) case ETHIOPIA: case MAYA:

2 (Mid Age ?? buildings)
case CHINA: (600 AD) case JAPAN: (600 AD) case VIKING: case KHMER: case ARABIA:

Starts with 2, but gets 3 with Astronomy
case SPAIN: case FRANCE: case ENGLAND: case GERMANY: case RUSSIA:

3 (Renaissance)
case NETHERLANDS: case MALI: case TURKEY: case PORTUGAL: case INCA: case MONGOLIA: case AZTEC:

case AMERICA:

Top Bottom