1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Confession time - what have you never done in this game that other people do routinely?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by walkerjks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. walkerjks

walkerjks Prince

For those that play a lot.. what have you never done in the game that seems routine? I have a couple things, though I'm not positive about the second (maybe did it for city state quests)...

1) Never conquered a city state. Even when a civ I am at war with is a suzerain.

2) Never built a siege unit? This one is more iffy as I may have built a catapult for envoys in city state quests.

What have you never done in the game?

Deadly Dog likes this.
  2. jesperben

jesperben Chieftain

Harvested a ressource. I know there are some advantages in doing it, but I don't like to. It feels like destroying my country.

3. mdl5000

mdl5000 Warlord

harvesting anything, besides stone in flat plains tiles.

governors. moving them around, especially. I just plop them in a conquered city or on some remote city and ignore them until there's sufficient loyalty. I just...don't care for them.

build balloons, whatever those two medic units are, later scouts (the ranger and the special ops?), and aircraft and aerodromes. again, just never had much use for them.

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

super slow speed.

5. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I'll take your 'never' to mean 'might have tried once, then never did it again' :goodjob:

- Harvest... I just don't do it (I DO see a nuance between chopping and harvesting)
    - Calculate chop into overflow with civics
    - Build a fighter. Why build this instead of bombers, when air unit are mainly for city attacks ?
    - Use nukes. Honestly, Game is usually over by the time I've researched it and done the projects, if I even bother to do them
    - Build any kind of anti-air units... because, well, the AI makes it so I never need them
    - Build Entertainment districts. I do get some by warring, but I never build them. Mainly, luxuries are usually enough to deal with amenities. If not, Water parks are there.
    - Finally, build canals. To be honest, that's not a PURE never... but it's more of a 'situation making building one useful' happening once every 25 games, so...

EDIT: Oh yeah,@SammyKhalifa reminded me... play any other speed than standard

yung.carl.jung and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  6. walkerjks

walkerjks Prince

Yeah. Games last long enough already. Maybe did that once. Also the largest map size (huge?) for me. I don't play on a computer meant for gaming and end of turn delays are long enough without dealing with more civs and more turns.

craney1987 likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I'm pretty routine on speed/size/disaster - I always play on normal, size as small or standard, and disasters at 3.

I virtually never attack a city-state. I will do it on extremely rare occasions, but I'd say I've probably only once in the last 6 months did explicitly declare war and attack a city-state because I wanted its terrain. I will also virtually almost liberate a CS if I capture it from an AI - kind of my peacekeeper nature :)

Other than the novelty, I don't believe I have ever used a Guru. Same with an air force - I can't remember anytime ever thinking "hey, this city is a good city, let's build an aerodrome to get my air force", the only times I build aerodromes is to get the inspirations or because I'm bored.

My only other "negative" I can think of would be that I essentially never ignore the civ I'm playing's abilities. So like, if I'm playing someone with a holy site bonus, I either restart the game or I play building holy sites.I'm sure others do, and sometimes that only ends up being a secondary part of the game, but I just can't play a civ and ignore a "bonus" that they're given.

LordPaulie and GreenofKnight45 like this.
  8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

yes. The whole point of civs having abilities is that you can leverage that ability for a unique game.

Banazir864 and Noble Zarkon like this.
  9. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

Never done but see others do routinely?

Play on a speed other than standard. I'm set in my ways and the game seems to have a nice flow on standard.

Claim Scotland is the best science civ in the game. On paper they have nice science bonuses, and I've seen highly regarded streamers say they're top tier, but have not seen them perform particularly well vs. other civs that simply go wider and ignore amenities. I don't doubt they're better than average in the space race, but can someone link me to a fast Deity science victory video series?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I wouldn't exactly say never, but I hardly ever chop or build Encampments.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I never harvested a resource either.

11. Ticio

Ticio Chieftain

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

exploits. I have never exploited bugs or bad game features. I also don't limit my city population (to me civilization means getting bigger and better).

edit: Another one. I also never build holy sites unless going for a religion. I know faith has it's uses, and if I get Earth goddess I do try to take advantage of it, but I don't bother with holy sites normally.

13. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

be patient my friend... It'll come... you're asking good questions ;-)

Aabraxan likes this.
  14. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis Prince

I've never once done the Manhattan project. So no nukes, ever.

15. Josephias

Josephias King

This prompts me a confession of what I did… I usually play peaceful or, at least, noble conqueror, so nukes are out of the picture but...

Playing Brazil for points/time victory (get the achievement and HoF medal…). Had plenty of time to build the nuke projects and some warheads as I had to do something in my cities while waiting time to pass. Then, even with all my spies on spaceport/Factory dissable missons, Tomyris snatches space victory on turn 499.

Went back to last save, declared surprise war and carpet nuked all her spaceport cities. I actually felt satisfaction by doing it…. but don't tell anyone :mischief:. (Yep, I got my turn 500 victory).

That was only once, I promise… :rolleyes:

16. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

man... I would have been totally frustrated to get it snatched at turn 499 :lol:

Kjimmet and Josephias like this.
  17. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm on the no-nukes team also.

Cedbird77 and Deadly Dog like this.
  18. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

MinMaxing - couldn't care less.

19. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Chopping. Honestly the game would be better without it IMO.

20. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Haven't used a nuke yet, and have never chopped. Once or twice I've harvested, but only if the resource was blocking a potential canal.

Cedbird77 likes this.