Confession time - what have you never done in this game that other people do routinely?

Rock Bands. I don’t know why, but I just hate their inclusion in Civ.

I tried them once, as Peter. I absolutely hated it. Why are they purchased with Faith? Why is the RNG so ridiculously inconsistent? And why did Firaxis think yet another mindless ‘smash them against the enemy until something works’ mechanism would be a fun addition to the game?

I’ve vowed never to use them again, even though I know how powerful they can be. In my view, culture victory is far more enjoyable without it. I’d much rather role play creating a beautiful empire filled with wonders & national parks than play this tedious, repetitive minigame.

- Occupied city state
- Built Nuke/GDR
- Played anything quicker than Standard
- Levied city state
- Played MP

National Parks just don’t exist in SostratusLand.
I have maybe made a handful, ever.
First of all, appeal is simply discriminatory against factories. I prefer industrial parks instead.

Great thread!

I tried to like all the confessions that I share, but some were also amusing so I had to like them as well.

One I didn't see:
Sell Diplomatic Favor. OK, I have done it in early game situations, when desperate, but most often to fill a gap in strategic resources. But I hate doing it, so this is my confession. I like having certain resolutions go my way, what can I say?

Never played as Korea, looked like so much science bonus, for so little effort or imagination.

1.)Clicked next turn without memorizing all the cities that are going to grow between turns and seeing what the governor decided to do with them (and correct him.)
2.)Not conquered my nearest neighbor for 3 or 4 free cities before turn 80.
3.)Played on a map larger than standard- I usually play small, and even those games are too long.
4.)Played past turn 245.
5.)Played a scenario - the only one I've ever played in the whole franchise was in Civ4 when you got to be the barbarians.
6.)Play with goody huts on - not since Civ4.
7.)Bought gathering storm.

- I never play multiplayer, and I am annoyed how the game appears to be balanced around it to some extent, even though most players never play MP.

- I never finished a scenario. They have nothing on the full experience of building a civilization through millenia.

- As is probably obvious from the above, I never even considered launching Red Death.

- I never min-max.

- I never micro-manage governors. They sit for centuries in the same cities. Sipping from the Holy Grail or the Fountain of Youth, just like the silly, immortal leaders.

- I don't care about on what turn I win. Fast wins?! If you want fast games, maybe a game about building an empire over 6000 years is not really for you.

- I enjoy the late-game! Sure, I love exploring the world and building my civilization in its early days, but I also enjoy watching it thrive, unthreatened and unchecked, once I've snowballed past everybody else.

- I only chop when some feature is in the way of a district or wonder. I almost never chop to rush things. It feels too cheesy and unsportsmanlike. Also, have you ever wondered what happens to the trees you build your district on if you don't chop them beforehand? Are they annihilated by antimatter or what? Chopping should be removed, and replacing a forest or reasource with something might give an automatic, single boost to production/gold.

I am sure I will come up with more idiosyncrasies later :)

I even did build an anti-air unit for reasons I still don't understand.

I've actually had a few games where the AI aggressively targeted my GDR's with jet bombers. And even with max promotions, they get slaughtered by jet bombers. I've built them a few times. Not sure if they actually work, because the AI didn't attack my units that had the mobile SAM unit. Maybe because the unit was there was the reason they didn't attack. Who knows.

It's funny I've only had around 3 games where the AI used jet bombers. Even my most recent game which went well past turn 850 (past the 750 epic speed end game) the AI never used jet bombers, despite having them. I can't explain why they sometimes use them, but most often do not.

I’ve vowed never to use them again, even though I know how powerful they can be.

I don't use them much anymore, AI always seems to run the policy to block them. Sure you can use them against other civs, but why bother. I mainly want to use them against the 2nd place civ in culture. I figure that's an incentive to just do it the old fashioned way. If you can't do it that way, you weren't meant to do it.

Never bothered with building the Pyramids. Never tried to capture a city state. Never seen the point of Air units.

Not exactly what the thread is about, but I haven't bought the expansions. They come as one on the Switch and I don't want World Congress. :)

For me, it's using the combat abilities of Great Generals / Admirals. I usually retire them right away, or park them somewhere to use later on. You know the thing I mean - the small radius where any nearby units get a bit of a boost to strength or something.

- I have never moved my troops off another Civ's borders after promising to move my troops off their borders.

- I have never not been denounced by Kupe. *

* I missed the "others do routinely" bit. I'm sure being denounced by Kupe is standard.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've never been at war with Poundmaker.

I've actually had a few games where the AI aggressively targeted my GDR's with jet bombers. And even with max promotions, they get slaughtered by jet bombers. I've built them a few times. Not sure if they actually work, because the AI didn't attack my units that had the mobile SAM unit. Maybe because the unit was there was the reason they didn't attack. Who knows.
I wish the Ai could use them better. They can use city ranged strikes, and aircraft are in many respects, an aerodrome ranged strike with more range.
I've never been on the receiving end of jet bombing a GDR, but i definitely have taken about 3 down that way.

In over 3300 hours (+ >2000 hours offline) on Civ6, I've never built a national park.
And I've never played as the US or Canada.

be patient my friend... It'll come... you're asking good questions ;-)

Hehehehe, i did win sometimes, but it is true that I have a lot to improve :p

I think is the most exciting thing about this game, you can make hundreds of differents strategies each times to try to win!

Never conquered a citystate either. The game is so much more fun with them, thats why I use free walls for CS mod

Was gonna say never use nukes, but Wilhelmina was being annoying as hell AGAIN in my last maya game, and with some uranium in my borders I couldn't resist. That one was for all the past games where you kept whining and denouncing and declaring war.

I say one, it were 6 nukes....

Winning a conquest victory.
Playing on map sizes smaller than standard (and even those and large rarely - Huge Maps is were the fun is for me)
Using online speed.
Utilizing battering rams or siege towers.
Played Gran Columbia (I intend to stay away from them until they get nerfed and will instead manually force them as AI opponent in every game until then. The AI needs any boost it can get and for them they are more balanced)

Top Bottom