1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Confession time - what have you never done in this game that other people do routinely?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by walkerjks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

I should say, "top-level relative to me." He can jump into Deity games with silly gameplans and execute them based on a far greater depth of understanding than I have.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Yeah, I'm more like @Navelgazer ... If I go through the trouble of destroying a civ, I'd rather keep the cities...

And so this is another 'never do' for me: Rename Cities... but you know what ? I just might start doing it now that you guys have put the idea in my head ;-)

3. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

I'll add one more thing:

- I never watch any videos related to Civ (or any other game). YouTubers, livestreams - I just don't care. If I ever need a tip on how to do something in a game, or want a rundown on coming new features, I much prefer a written description of several sentences to a drawn out, boring video.

Jimdigriz and OmegaDestroyer like this.
  4. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Be competitive/play on a high difficulty. Too much bother, too much stress.

5. KayAU

KayAU King

Things I never do:
    • Attack city states
    • Build support units
    • Build air units
    • Levy city states
    • Use spies for anything other than counterespionage
    • Read the gossip
    • Try to spread my religion outside my own civ
    • Actively pursue a victory condition other than Science...although I always win one of the other victories by accident before I can get there
    • Limit or prevent city growth

Frankly, there are a lot of things I just can't be bothered with, because it feels redundant and unrewarding to me.

6. FedorWin

FedorWin Chieftain

I’ve never ended my turn without dismissing all the small pop-ups on the right. That’s probably why my games drag for so long even on quick speed.

I don’t recall ever purchasing a great person with faith or gold. Other than the religion/prophet race (if I’m going for it), I don’t usually pay much attention to the great people screen. Just create the conditions, the great people will come out eventually.

7. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Two things:
    I never betray a friend (be it conquering their CS, sabotaging/stealing from them, etc.)... and I never forgive (you cross me, all your cities are going to be razed, "buddy", and I don't care what you offer me for a peace deal, you are dying... such games inadvertently turn into domination runs)

Oh and I never use map pins

8. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

I recently declared my first formal war.

..after playing for over 1000 hours.

9. earlofbrigand

earlofbrigand Chieftain

Of the YouTubers I like McWhiskey and Marbozir. I have to say though that amongst all of them there is a downplaying of religion in favour of science and domination. Perhaps they are the 'optimal' way of playing, but I prefer to mix things up a bit. Game Mechanic is obviously good at what he does, but spends far too long thinking about moves - I'm talking from the perspective of the viewer, not complaining about his gaming style.

10. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Build Districts with adjacenecy of 1, I often neglect to build Theatre Squares as a result because Wonders tend to be built in bad places. I also rarely remove my improvements, once built, they tend to be there for the whole game and never replaced by a district.

11. racha

racha Warlord

I'm in the group that's never attacked a city state. In fact, I use a mod that gives rebelling cities a chance to become city states because more is better (or at least more is more).

I've also never built the mobile SAM unit, or whatever it's called.

12. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Things I rarely do that I think others do a lot:

- Play the meta/optimal way, which is chop lots, harvest lots, and spend the first 70% of the game conquering as much as possible. I do SOME early warmongering on rare occaisons, and I'll do the occaisonal chop to place a district or rush a wonder, but I still do these things quite rarely.
    - As a consequence of the above, I almost never go for conquest victory, and as a consequence of THAT, I think I've nuked someone like two or three times in my 2500 hours.
    - Ignore religion. I hate not having a religion, for any victory type. It makes me feel like I'm missing a big part of the game. The majority of the time, my first district is a holy site, and unless I have a really good early game, I will generally ragequit if I can't get a prophet.
    - Projects. I just always forget about city projects. This often leads to some of the "no prophet ragequits" listed above...

Now some things that I have NEVER done, as far as I can remember...
    - Used a balloon or drone to extend siege weapon ranges. It's just so incredibly niche that I've never done it, especially since I don't warmonger. Similarly, I haven't used a medc or supply convoy... same reason, I don't warmonger, and on the very rare occaison that I do, it's just to kill an early neighbor, so I don't get the chance for these late units. I have used battering rams and siege towers a fair amount, though. Despite that I don't warmonger, I use military engineers all the time because you can get a lot of era score for connecting railroads and tunnels, so I usually make at least one encampment per game.
    - I don't think I've ever used anti air units, because the AI never makes air units.
    - I don't think I've ever used airports to move around an army for serious conquering... it takes so much investment to get an aerodome, AND a hangar, AND an airport that I just rarely have one, let alone two. I'll usually make one aerodome just so I can have somewhere to pump out bombers so I can bomb invading armies if necessary, and that's it as far as the airgame goes. I probably have moved some units around in the extreme lategame if I was really ahead and was just "waiting for my science win", but it was just messing around, not with the real intention of using it to do anything important.

Jimdigriz, Kjimmet and Navelgazer like this.
  13. KayAU

KayAU King

Renaming is another thing I generally don't bother with, but there is one exception. If Alexander attacks me, I take his cities and give them proper, not "Alexand-this-or-that" names. Such as for example "Australiatown" or "Australiaville" or my favorite: "Other Australiatown". Yes, I was playing as Australia last time that jerk attacked me.

tedhebert and Deadly Dog like this.
  14. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Ha! Good to see I'm not the only one who does this. : )

tedhebert likes this.
  15. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

I've never watched a streamer to play this game.

racha likes this.
  16. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

Reading the comments I realized how much did I not do :D.
    But my primary thought was intentional chopping for production. I only clear land if I want to build something there.

17. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Hmm. I've watched some strategy/gltich videos from people like potato, saxy, spiff etc, but I've never watched them just... play the game. I don't really like streams/LPs that are just gameplay and commentary, I can do that myself.

18. Solver

Solver Grumpy Civ beta tester

• I seldom chop. No chops most games, sometimes 1-2 to help a critical construction. I am not sure if I've ever harvested a resource. I know chopping helps, I just don't like it.
    • I'm too lazy to move the main governors. If fighting wars, I use one as a front-line governor to help with loyalty, but the main governors almost always get set up in my core cities and stay there.
    • This isn't intentional but I never build the Great Bath. Seems like the AI likes it a lot, and one of them always builds it before I can even consider it.
    • I very rarely get to use nukes. If I'm going for domination then wars become a breeze once balloons are available, and nukes come too late. If I'm playing for a different victory condition, there is little need to nuke anyone.
    • As should be clear from the above, I'm really not about minmaxing or even approaching optimal play. I'm not into trying to win as fast as possible, and I'm experienced enough that the game is not too challenging anyway below Deity. I'd actually enjoy more challenge, but not in the way Civ6 does it - the higher difficulty levels are essentially about giving you a large handicap to overcome, which isn't terribly fun.

Chefofrats likes this.
  19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I never raze cities or build anti-air, and I've never played online speed or used the terra map script.

I've only done the following for achievements:
    - play deity
    - capture a city state
    - build/use nukes
    - play dual or tiny map size

20. mentos15

mentos15 Chieftain

I never let myself or the game grow stale by settling into a routine, and actively attempting to avoid things that I "never", or "always" do - whether it be challenging and changing my play style or strategy habits, victory conditions, difficulties, civs / leaders, unit builds, scenarios, map types, settings, speeds, achievements, etc. It was something I had allowed myself to do with every other Civ since 1, but now, with having played VI for more hours than any previous iteration realize I had been artificially limiting my enjoyment all along.