(CONFIRMED) Waiting for other civilizations...

Pitboss

Prince
When I'm 99 years away from reaching the time limit (first game in BTS) it gives me "Waiting for other civilizations...", and I wait and wait ... but nothing (playing vs AI) but the game just remaings stuck their (even on closing and reopening civ with that save).

I renamed the savegame so it could be upped, please rename it to a .CivBeyondSwordSave

edit : Just read about the "Patch_302", installed it, retried it, but the problem still remains.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,167
  • Robin Zechs AD-1922.civwarlordssave
    367.5 KB · Views: 279
guess my bug might be the same, but here it goes:
savegame 3.8MB, downloadable from
http://vincent.dreamhosters.com/AutoSave_AD-2058-September.CivBeyondSwordSave

lockups
found error as well:
plot 52,25
ships of romans attack the city of carthage, CITY!!! located a few plots to the right of the ships, amphibious attack
romans loose the attack, ships move back, 1 plot to the right of their original spot.
carthagians launch counterattack on the ships(didnt figure out which units he used) there we have the lockup!

load this savegame only possible with recompiled DLL 36civs..

and no, that's not the reason of the bug! simply delete those units on plot 52,25 and lockup is gone!

ADD, wrong savegame upload, new savegame: at the turn where it locksup
DLL: http://vincent.dreamhosters.com/CvGameCoreDLL.dll

ADD2:
in that game i also have WANG KWONG 2times, korean, same face..

ADD3:
forget what was here, seems to be a not persistantly! testing some more, sometimes, loading the savegame gets you pass the lockup
have to try to load your savegame several times, and you can pass it randomly...sights..

putting spies everywhere to check what's going on:
1) Carthage get's captured(succesfull amphibious attack) gamelock
2) Carthage doesn't get captured(non successfull attack) no gamelock

Thanks Pitboss. The hang will be fixed for the patch, but your save revealed another bug with the Apostolic Palace. Nidaros seems to have minus 2 hammers for its Buddhist buildings, but it's not clear how that happened. Do you remember if it is perhaps because the Vikings had defied a resolution when the Apostolic Palace expired, thus getting an additional -2 hammers?

Just putting this info once more(structurized) to make sure firaxis catches this one in the next patch>

savegame 3.8MB, downloadable from
http://vincent.dreamhosters.com/AutoSave_AD-2058-September.CivBeyondSwordSave

load this savegame only possible with recompiled DLL 36civs..
DLL: http://vincent.dreamhosters.com/CvGameCoreDLL.dll

lockups error:
plot 52,25
ships of romans attack the city of carthage, CITY!!! located a few plots to the right of the ships, amphibious attack
case 1) Carthage get's captured(succesfull amphibious attack) gamelock
case 2) Carthage doesn't get captured(non successfull attack) no gamelock

btw, the game locks AFTER(in the same next turn though, waiting for civs...) the city has been RECAPTURED.

ADD:
in that game i also have WANG KWONG 2times, korean, same face(either a bug, or just simply because there aren't enough civs, didn't count them :p)

taketounwanted,

How did you identify what unit was causing the loop? I've had this occur twice in my current game. I fixed the first one by loading a save 10 turns earlier and ending all current wars but this an available option this time.

@chapel perilous

simpliest solution if you have no programming knowledge, go into the worldbuilder, delete first 1 civ, then another, then another, or 3 at a time also..and narrow it down(make sure when you delete 3civs, to save you change before you press next turn) so if you didnt catch it with those 3, you load the minus 3 civs savegame, and delete 3 more...once you can proceed to the next turn..you delete only 1 of the last 3 you've deleted..once you located the pecific civ(remember, can also have the same bug twice in the same game) you can narrow down by deleting units/cities..

to check if it's a war caused issue(which is mostly the case of lockups in my humble opinion) you might just go into the worldbuilder and first try to force peace among everyone! That'll tell you right away if it's a lockup because of a war action.

if you have knowledghe of programming, then i assume i don't have to go into the deeper aspects of tracking bugs, but, since im not the one going to fix this, i didnt took time nor effort to check which part in the code is causing that...im sure firaxis will fix this pronto and a patch for this is out in a week! :)
Lockup bugs like these will kill any 2nd game most likely..so im pretty sure firaxis will release a patch very soon....i wonder if the beta testers were sleeping or only tested the first 100turns LOL

Im running alot of autoruns to test memory differences right now..between vista 32bit and vista 64bit...and performance issues...

right now im testing a 75civs smartmap(larger then huge!!) for memory usage to see how far i can go before i hit the MAF...the game is awesome stable!!! and very FAST!! alot better then warlords...only this lockup thing..i have it eventually sooner or later in every game...and just have to bypass it by killing that specific unit causing the capturing action..

but i really wonder if beta testers actually do STRESS for performance and memory and AUTORUN to catch AI issues...pretty stupid if they didnt because such issues like this are easy to catch if you TEST a game properly...

I've got this waiting for other civs bug at 1876ad. I go back and retry from earlier autosave and it still hangs at 1876 :confused:

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1876.CivBeyondSwordSave
    380.7 KB · Views: 238
Same problem. It hangs up in 1795 in my current game. Restoring from a Save does not help.

I've attached my DxDiag file in case that helps.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    51.5 KB · Views: 369
I kept that too but figured there were enough saves already posted.

So here is one more for the pile.

Attachments

• Hang Up Bug 1795 Portugal.CivBeyondSwordSave
    453.1 KB · Views: 229
And I thought I was the only one with a hangup...

If a patch fixes them, will it corrupt old savegame files? I've been playing at this one for ages.

And I thought I was the only one with a hangup...

If a patch fixes them, will it corrupt old savegame files? I've been playing at this one for ages.
Hopefully not. The infinite loops are often where a function somewhere returns a value that causes another function to call the first function which returns a value that ..... etc.

Change the value that the function returns, and it fixes it (without changing the save file).

Can't guarantee that other bug fixes won't break the save backwards compatibility though.

I get the same thing just after a new vassal appeared on the map (I don't know if the vassal has anything to do with this bug, though)

Big and Small, Large Map, Marathon speed, 1788 AD.

Hopefully not. The infinite loops are often where a function somewhere returns a value that causes another function to call the first function which returns a value that ..... etc.

Change the value that the function returns, and it fixes it (without changing the save file).

Can't guarantee that other bug fixes won't break the save backwards compatibility though.

savegame incompatibility is mostly only due to the change of the savegame itself. As long as you don't change the read/write methods it's loadable(any wrong value stored because of wrong methods however will be read again)

so if the BUG, is caused because of the code itself crashes, and the wrong values are not stored in a savegame, this won't happen(if the bug appears first in the turn after you have saved) ..if it's accumulating over time, most likely will crash later anyway, even if you fixed the bug itself(this is not so common though)

BUT, considering the number of BUGS reported by people, even if this single bug wouldn't cause savegame incompatibility (bet 99,99% on it that it wont) dozens of other bugs reported by people will cause savegame incompatibility( 99,99% it will not be compatible)

even if you load it properly, and cummulative bug is there already..
any display bug won't interfere with what is saved and what not, but if you have for example double tech rate because of some wonder, even if you fix that, the tech you've gained in the game is stored already, the techs you have discovered due to the bug you have already..

so even if it's loadable and playable, i'd advise you to start a new game, even if you didn't see there was a bug, it doesn't mean it wasn't there!

I wouldnt load a savegame with a new patch, really, so many bugs have been reported..firaxis must fix them asap(and they will, if i would be working there, i'd be working 24h/day right now because there are just too many bugs to be left in) and im sure firaxis will do the same....so just play to get to know the game a little bit, and spare you epic REAL games once a major patch has been released...that's my advise..

Yes, let me say I have had the same problem. Game seems to crash during turns.

Top Bottom