Confused about conflicting opinions: To buy or not to buy?

It's a good game if you take it like a generic war and management strategy game and not as a sequel of Civ.

It's a big disappointment if you think of it like the successor of Civ IV... It's more like its bastard son... To me better buy is EU III....

Love it! From this point forward I'm only referring to V as FitzCiV!!!

Which makes the decision very easy: wait until that game has got more patches and expansions.
Don't buy it now.

I have not seen lschnarch post a single positive comment about ciV.

Don't let a few very vocal haters keep you from buying the game, especially post-patch it is quite fun. I still have that one more turn feeling.

Moderator Action: Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand, and not other posters, thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

IMHO its the biggest gaming disappointment of all time. Its not about the bugs, sluggish behavior, poor AI etc. It just doesnt have IT. IT being in your words : a decent story to tell.
They changed their target group, and as mentioned in this forum (and an interview with firaxis dev) the target group are Civ Rev'ers not Civ IV'ers. I think civ V is a great game, the epic fail was to call it V instead of Civ Rev II. Alot of people (incl me) was expecting more Civ (not necessarily 4.5) not less (dumbed down or streamlined).
BTW. You might come across certain statements in this forum. Let me translate some of them :

1. streamlined
Meaning : Lack of content

2. ... compared to vanilla civ 4 release....
Meaning : The bugs, lack of content, poor gameplay etc are defended because they did it before. So a serial killer is acceptable, because, well, he did it before.

3. ... out of the box its always like that and will be fixed with patches over time...
Meaning : Thank you for paying 50$ for being our BETA tester.

4. ... all you haterz and whinerz just wanted a civ 4.5....
Meaning : If you liked civ 1-4 theres a good chance you'll dislike civ V.

5. .... 1UPT and Hexes are Awesome! ....
Meaning : Wanted a Panzer General 2010, not a Civ V.

6. You cannot compare civ5 with BtS
Meaning : "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

My best advice would be : Try the demo. But dont try it once or twice, try it a lot of times. The first couple of times the shining graphics will blind you. Then it will start to sink in.

CiV was my favourite, but is not being chased off that position by a number of other candidates - the newest EU3 expansion

I would recommend the EU3 expansion ("Divine Wind") over Civ5.

However, wait until the next patch before buying Divine Wind. As it stands, it has some serious bugs (hordes not working as intended, poorly balanced Chinese factions, cascading alliances, and a couple of other things). These bugs are likely to be fixed soon: the devs at Paradox say that they are already working on it.

CiV is a good game platform, the mods are coming along nicely. I really think a lot of people forget how important this is. This game can be made into what you like about the Civilization series. Quite a luxury in the gaming world.

Will Civ 5 deliver as a replayable game you will probably enjoy? Yeah, especially if you play with mods. Would it be wise to wait til February to buy it? Absolutely. We will have a much much better sense of the game and the direction it is heading by then.

My suggestion is to wait until the game hits the $20 bin at the store. It is not worth full price, it's far too buggy, mainly late in the game. I have yet to finish a game without it crashing. Hopefully, by the time the price drops, there will be enough patches to make the game more stable.

I do agree that the game does feel a lot more watered down compared to Civ 4. But the gameplay is still good (when it's not crashing, or getting terrible graphic glitches).

Better to have "my stack is bigger than your stack" than battle system that AI can't handle. This is number 1 thing that civ 5 go wrong and it's not funny at all.

I seriously believe combat is possibly the worst aspect of the game, even if it became a little better with the patches, it is still broken beyond acceptance, whether you like how 1UPT ended up working (which I don't for a couple of reasons) the AI is, to be fair, "almost" absolutely ******ed handling combat and 1UPt at many levels; unit movement, tactical warfare, pathing, and on top of these it, again, almost completely ignores the naval and aerial aspects of the game.

Anyways, you may probably find very easily someone happy to sell his/her "license" AKA "right to play the game you will never own" to you for half it's price OP.

Will Civ 5 deliver as a replayable game you will probably enjoy? Yeah, especially if you play with mods. Would it be wise to wait til February to buy it? Absolutely. We will have a much much better sense of the game and the direction it is heading by then.

That's a good point. Look at it as a risk/reward scenario: what is there to lose? If you buy it now, you lose $50 USD and take a gamble, which may or may not pay off. If you wait a few months, you lose nothing; you simply don't gain a video game.

You might come across certain statements in this forum. Let me translate some of them :

1. streamlined
Meaning : Lack of content

2. ... compared to vanilla civ 4 release....
Meaning : The bugs, lack of content, poor gameplay etc are defended because they did it before. So a serial killer is acceptable, because, well, he did it before.

3. ... out of the box its always like that and will be fixed with patches over time...
Meaning : Thank you for paying 50$ for being our BETA tester.

4. ... all you haterz and whinerz just wanted a civ 4.5....
Meaning : If you liked civ 1-4 theres a good chance you'll dislike civ V.

5. .... 1UPT and Hexes are Awesome! ....
Meaning : Wanted a Panzer General 2010, not a Civ V.

6. You cannot compare civ5 with BtS
Meaning : "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Nice vademecum of the forum Vincentz, it could be expanded though.. ja!

...All the Civ games have been glorified war games, so I honestly don't see much difference there.

You really don't get the point of the Civ series at all. Civ has never (until Civ5 anyway) been a war game, and certainly not a "glorified" war game. It has always been amongst the worst war games if played that way, and hasn't improved markedly in this aspect since Civ1. Civ5 is another really bad war game that subtracts much of the empire building game that most Civ players over the decades crave. Hence the hate.

I would wait now. The lead designer has been "invited to leave", or whatever (but he left), so civ5 is in a crossroad right now. Wait, and see.

Oh, by the way, Elemental has turned into a marvel after the latest patch, really a good place to use your money for the holidays. You won't be dissapointed.

I would wait now. The lead designer has been "invited to leave", or whatever (but he left), so civ5 is in a crossroad right now. Wait, and see.

Oh, by the way, Elemental has turned into a marvel after the latest patch, really a good place to use your money for the holidays. You won't be dissapointed.

amazing what good designers can do for a game... hopefully they can get that one to work on cVI.

I thought elemental looked good when I saw it in the stores but then I read reviews that it was glitched, I heard a patch was in the works sounds like it worked. Is elemental really like a fantys version of civ ex (do you research techs, and make alliances)?

I'm waiting for the Gold Edition (plus I have over 70 games to play which I haven't installed and/or finished yet), which I ended up doing with Civ4 (and while I don't regret getting Civ4 I didn't enjoy BTS for very long).

Buy it. I haven't seen better 4X game in 2010, simple as that.

Or play old Civ4, if you haven't got bored with it, and don't want to risk getting new game you may or may not like.

I would recommend the EU3 expansion ("Divine Wind") over Civ5.

However, wait until the next patch before buying Divine Wind. As it stands, it has some serious bugs (hordes not working as intended, poorly balanced Chinese factions, cascading alliances, and a couple of other things). These bugs are likely to be fixed soon: the devs at Paradox say that they are already working on it.

I would recommend hammering rusty nails into your forehead, whilst dangling your nethers in a tank of hungry pirahna, before I would recommend you buy Civ Panzer General, sorry, Civ 5.

Greeting everyone!
Before I set off on my semester abroad in China, I was firmly resolved that, once I get back in February, the first thing I would do is buy Civilization V and enjoy some of the new Civilization goodness.
Why wait till you get back? You should buy it... in China. I heard the prices for games are "cheaper" there. ;)

On a more serious note, even though Civ V has many flaws, I think it is still good value-for-money in terms of the hours of enjoyment it will give you. Your first 50 hours or so should be fun, especially the warfare aspects; it only gets boring upon repeated playing or if you are a peaceful player who doesn't like to do battle.

Take a look at the mods. I like to do that before I buy a game. I would recommend you buy the game. The mods and new patches are beginning to make the game more akin to what people expected. Also dont take people taht go around talking about how Civ 5 is for console gamers and yatayata. War in Civ 4 was as much a part of, or even a bigger part of, the game, than Civ 5. All your needs are accomplished by warring, while in 5, you have happiness to worry about. My guess is that they feel the building options to customize your cities are a bit lackluster, but in my current game I am having fun building my empire, because of some tweaking I did on my own and the mods that add or modify buildings and buff improvements other than trading posts.

Top Bottom