Confused about conflicting opinions: To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by monsterfurby, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

In fact, Civ V perversely turns Empire building on its head by presenting the player with such constrained game play options that he or she will not build up a large empire (optimally speaking) and must burn down everyone else's. Most of my games end with me having fewer than 8 cities (many times five or fewer) and having burned down the rest of the world. In other words, I've built a minor, backwater of a nation state and left the rest of the planet a depopulated no-man's land. So much for building an "empire" to stand the test of time. The game should be called Apocalypse instead of Civilization. Just my two cents. Other's opinons will vary.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

ugh, the above post sums up why I haven't installed the game yet. I just got it for an early christmas present last weekend. I've heard so many negative things about this game, I have no desire to play it.

3. Charles Martel

Charles Martel Warlord

Which is probably less painful than trying to achieve the following: Panzer "Shafernator" General, e.g. a steam achievement that requires spawning over 100 Great Generals, building an army of over 100 standing units, and beating the game 100 times.

4. rschissler

rschissler King

Reading this says it all.

5. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

I would say, if you loved civ iv, you will not like civ v. If civ iii was more your bag, then it is probably worth buying civ v. If you are new to civilization, you will probably find civ v cool during the learning curve, but then clouds will appear on the horizon after you get into it.

6. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I loved Civ3, even more loved Civ4 and still love Civ5 a lot.
    Still, there are "fanatics" that don't love Civ5 and these forums are full of them. :D

7. markantony

markantony Warlord

*holds head in hands*

I had NO idea that that was an actual Steam achievement. Kinda says it all really.

8. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

why would you do that? It's lots of fun to get huge numbers of puppets with tp spam. I've many times gotten 500+ gpt on standard continent maps using this strategy, including an immortal continents game post-patch. also, if you take tradition and keep happiness > -10 your capital will still grow quickly since the +50% now almost completely wipes out the -75% from unhappiness. also, keeping your primary city count low helps you get more of the much more useful national wonders.

9. Surgeon

Surgeon Warlord

If you play on emperor level or lower I'd say yes. If you have a ton of other stuff to play though Id say wait until you have nothing to play first :)

10. Left Foot

Left Foot Chieftain

For me, put simply, there just isn't enough variety from one Civ 5 game to the other. One of the big draws of the Civ series for me was the "what's going to happen in this game, how am I going to end up playing in order to win?" feeling I had every time I started a game.

This feeling is gone with Civ 5. Every game feels like a carbon copy of the previous game. I find myself bored with it very quickly.

When I need to force myself to play a game, so as not to feel to have wasted my money, that's not a good sign.

Only an expansion may save it somewhat - not a patch- , but I'm hoping that they will start working on Civ 6 rather than the expansion.

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

That's so weird. I felt the same way about Civ4 until I started playing mods.

12. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Absolutely. I keep thinking I'll find some interesting building/strategy thing, but Civ5 is completely transparent and shallow. Just walk over the AI. Profit. (Worse - not even any role-playing possible...) Never play games out of a sense of duty, I agree. If you find yourself doing that, something's gone very badly wrong.