Congrats firaxis (AI) you finally outsmarted me

Wow! It seems I will have to check this out. I hope there will be more improvements in the next patch.

Now I am waiting 10 mins to load a Civilization game on Amiga :D This was a true masterpiece.

I'd love to see a true top down view Civ mode. Like in Civ I.

Yeah -- I just started a new game as Inca. The Maori landed a settler on my continent so I thought -- hmm, free settler. I took the settler, and both the Romans and Swedes got upset. Swedes attacked me -- no problem, was able to wipe out their first wave of attackers....and started to think I would start to march against them.

Then came the second wave -- and third wave including horsemen that I couldn't fight against. They were very coordinated in attacking my wounded units, eliminating them out, and then focusing on my capital. I lost my capital soon after.

To the Swedes.

Swedes.

Granted I was on immortal....but still have not seen that happen ever.

I will have to say that the AI is improved.

Haven't had time to play a game yet.

But after reading this out of curiosity i had an AI only game playing on Emperor in the background while i did other things and checked it every so often.

So far one AI totally conquered by another civ and two other civs reduced to only a few cities. This is currently around the medieval era. The AI performance seems massively improved and i'm excited to jump into another game when i have time.

This was on 'Contients and Islands' with high sea level

Wow! It seems I will have to check this out. I hope there will be more improvements in the next patch.

Now I am waiting 10 mins to load a Civilization game on Amiga :D This was a true masterpiece.

I'd love to see a true top down view Civ mode. Like in Civ I.
The "Tactical Camera" mod allows you to zoom out further and it feels more directly overhead rather than isometric.

Yeah -- I just started a new game as Inca. The Maori landed a settler on my continent so I thought -- hmm, free settler. I took the settler, and both the Romans and Swedes got upset. Swedes attacked me -- no problem, was able to wipe out their first wave of attackers....and started to think I would start to march against them.

Then came the second wave -- and third wave including horsemen that I couldn't fight against. They were very coordinated in attacking my wounded units, eliminating them out, and then focusing on my capital. I lost my capital soon after.

To the Swedes.

Swedes.

Granted I was on immortal....but still have not seen that happen ever.

I will have to say that the AI is improved.

You think you got it bad, my pre patch mentality had me losing over half my empire to Spain! And they were determined to finish me off. Had to quit...

I hate to be that guy but I'm having a pretty bad experience right now. I'm attacking Kupe and even though he had plenty of opportunities to attack me, he didn't do it even once. He can shoot my ships with catapults, there's even a skirmisher sitting there, just next to my ship pillaging his harbor, he had some ships of his own, including a Quadrireme who had the opportunity to shoot me twice. Nothing, nada, not a single offensive move. It's like he just gave up. A city state I conquered before offered more resistance than that. It feels like there's something wrong, like he can't attack at all.

My units from attacking his capital.

289070_20190919010051_1.png

The AI also seems to be back at their tendency to give everything they have when you invite them to a joint war. I thought they had fixed that. Dido and Pedro would give me their own mother if I had asked for it.

Off topic but I finally got my first dark age, legitimately. I actually managed to play badly enough to get one. It took me almost 2 years but there it is.

Edit: I finally got attacked... by a City State unit!!! Kupe himself doesn't seem to care.

Edit2: The problem might be land vs naval combat. As soon as I landed a Warrior on land, his catapult shot my unit.

Last edited:
A bit further into my first game with the new patch (Gorgo, Immortal, Large Terra) and I've actually had to chuck in the towel on a war with the Aztecs because they were about to wipe out half my army. I settled for a few ex-Malinese cities and will have to come back and finish him off later.

The AI is now much smarter at using ranged units, which alone is a huge buff. They also seem to be a bit more aggressive upgrading their units, which meant I ran into a stone wall when they went up to crossbows.

It's not a controlled experiment, but very good so far.

It means you can't steamroll as you want to and therefore I ran into some serious loyalty problems. Had to quit a war with China and lost 2 cities due to loyalty afterwards.
Qin didn't even have walls but it looks like he rushed for crouching tiger when I attacked...
Phew, I have to adapt... That's awesome! :)

After all your descriptions about the Ai I was feared enough. Tested a game on King level.
I experienced that I have to be much more careful if I want to start a war. Now it prevents me to go into my bed when it's time to.
Some issues like sea units movement and attacks aren't improved I believe (could made better in next patch) but the most happens when fighting on land. Therefore it is much more complicated to get enemies cities there.

The problem might be land vs naval combat. As soon as I landed a Warrior on land, his catapult shot my unit.

I had a notable game pre-patch, where the AI fleet refused to attack my embarked land units. It was a relief first, It felt quite bad as the war went on.

They bombarded my land units on the coast. But allowed them to cross safely the sea qhen they were more vulnerable. It was very weird, and this single issue allowed me to win the war.

Im unsure how often does this happens. But it is probably not a problem with the patch. I really like the care from Firaxis taking care of bugs and improving the game weak points. Just hope they keep doing it for a couple of patches more. As there is still some unresolved issues.

I had a notable game pre-patch, where the AI fleet refused to attack my embarked land units. It was a relief first, It felt quite bad as the war went on.

They bombarded my land units on the coast. But allowed them to cross safely the sea qhen they were more vulnerable. It was very weird, and this single issue allowed me to win the war.

Im unsure how often does this happens. But it is probably not a problem with the patch. I really like the care from Firaxis taking care of bugs and improving the game weak points. Just hope they keep doing it for a couple of patches more. As there is still some unresolved issues.
I've seen this in several of my games. There was even a live show - the one introducing the canals - from FXS itself where this was plain visible! So I am sure they are aware of this. I think FXS should address this bug ASAP.

I've seen this in several of my games. There was even a live show - the one introducing the canals - from FXS itself where this was plain visible! So I am sure they are aware of this. I think FXS should address this bug ASAP.
I don't know if it's still the case, but there was a time when embarked land units would enjoy ridiculous resistance to attacks from naval units. This was done because the AI lacked any programming by which it might distinguish walking on the land from splashing into the ocean. Indeed, the AI would effectively trap players' naval units by surrounding them with embarked units that the latter had to slowly bash its way through.

Seems to not be an issue so much these days.

Naval is still a disaster but that sort of makes sense and it is difficult to program well.
But some crazy pre patch stuff like being at war with harald and bumping a galley into 2 longships that retreated was rather weird.
The fact they still spawn in lakes is not a good sign also.
I have stopped playing water as it is too easy still.

The AI is good at taking Coastal Cities by brute force, assuming they don’t have walls. If you’ve built only Melee and Ranged, you can be quite vulnerable because your Melee can’t fight back and your Ranged do reduced damage.

Early Naval Barbs are also tough. The ranged ones really hurt, and you can’t clear the camp unless you wipe all the units out and then get a land unit over to actually clear the camp.

But yeah, otherwise, Naval is a bust. Playing Vicky, I often end up with a heap of Naval units that are basically idle other than being on auto-explore.

"How do I survive if I'm not on an island or otherwise isolated" seems to be a valid question now... My current start is to build units, units, units, units, some more units, settler... But if there's a neighbor, they come with even more units (and about 6 cities). On King :D

Oh, and donkeys might be donkeys, but that's compensated by Gilgabro, but them Nubian archers now that she knows how to use them...

Last edited:
I’m using unit mods and am a bit unfamiliar with the current unit lineup on the base game. When it comes to naval combat the AI is powerless against 2 ships of the line with 3 range and one melee ship. It does not matter much if the melee ship is outdated. Just move the melee ship one tile closer (2 tiles from the city) to give the ranged ships line of sight. Bombard the city defences turn after turn (should take 2-3 turns). The damage should be higher then the ability of the city to generate its health as it is not surrounded. At the end of the turn you could move the melee ship one tile back so all ships stay out of range of city bombard.

Do this simultaniously with another team of ship of the lines. And push with a decent blob of land siege units on another front 6 units. And you could take out the AI without it being able to defend itself within 3-5 turns. To the point that you’ve made the war succesfull within the 15 turns to make peace. Or repeat this once more.

I’m using unit mods and am a bit unfamiliar with the current unit lineup on the base game. When it comes to naval combat the AI is powerless against 2 ships of the line with 3 range and one melee ship. It does not matter much if the melee ship is outdated. Just move the melee ship one tile closer (2 tiles from the city) to give the ranged ships line of sight. Bombard the city defences turn after turn (should take 2-3 turns). The damage should be higher then the ability of the city to generate its health as it is not surrounded. At the end of the turn you could move the melee ship one tile back so all ships stay out of range of city bombard.

This is a problem unlikely ever to be solved, sadly. Civ 5 was just as bad. Once you had the range promotion, the AI couldn't do a thing. Combine that with the Indirect Fire or, God forbid, the two-shots-per-turn promotion and two or three artillery or frigates could win the game.

This is a problem unlikely ever to be solved, sadly. Civ 5 was just as bad. Once you had the range promotion, the AI couldn't do a thing. Combine that with the Indirect Fire or, God forbid, the two-shots-per-turn promotion and two or three artillery or frigates could win the game.

True, it kinda is like the english midieval UU bowman on civ 5. The AI can’t handle 3 range. But you could start to dominate in the midieval/renaissance era with the ship of the line as any nation on the coastline. Without needing to wait with the 3 range on land army units till you reach drones with +1 range and stuff (or late tech artillery).

With the allready bad navy combat AI. This gives the human player a large advantage the AI cant match.

Top Bottom