1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats, you're a half-billionaire!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IglooDude, Feb 11, 2015.

1. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator

Inspired by the US Powerball lottery that today has a jackpot exceeding five hundred million US dollars, I was pondering, and thought OT might have some interesting ideas.

Hypothetical: You played the lottery (even if you don't play lotteries, you were given a ticket as a gift) and your ticket is the only winner. You cash in the ticket for a half-billion lump sum, screened by law and accounting firms so the public will never know you won. After taxes are taken out, you set up all your children and grandchildren with college funds, buy the mansion/yacht/whatever, spread a few million around among your friends, and generally set yourself up for a life of luxury as you wish.

You've still got over three hundred million left over, though. What do you do with it?

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Well, I wouldn't have started with the things you started with.

Put 50 million in account. Buy a hundred houses and set them up as rentals at a thousand a month each, which in my part of my town is about two thirds normal rent. That loosens the budget for a hundred families. Hire a good real estate attorney at ten grand a month salary to run the operation at a ten grand a month salary with instructions to add houses as available based on maintaining a secure balance that can cover a year of taxes, insurance, and maintenance on the lot.

After that I'd have to stop and think, but that has been my 'lottery win plan' for a long time. I probably spend fifty bucks a year on tickets, so naturally I have to have a plan just in case I win.

3. Justo

Justo Emperor

Outside of some general investments in property etc to ensure I always have a small fortune I would create or buy my own video game development company. They would pretty much create games that interest me and potentially remake (buying the rights if possible) old games that I liked (E.G. Imperialism etc).

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I've actually given this some thought. My initial plan was to get some of OT's heavy hitters together for a conference to set up a foundation to burn through the odd $100mill on basic science funding. I wouldn't want to perpetual foundation. Maybe something that would burn through the principle and any interest earned in 30-40 years. I'd want to fund longer term science projects, things that would take 5-7 years or so. I'd focus on any science which looked to potentially being of benefits to the greatest numbers of people, and the world's poor. But I'd also be trying to focus on longshots. Things that the government and private companies aren't already financing. I'd be willing to take a fair number of strikeouts while swinging for the bleachers.

5. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Put all of it in index funds, bond funds, and rental (residential and commercial) real estate. Live off the dividends and rent.

Then, go get a Ph.D. since I won't have to worry about money.

6. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Yeah, after satsifying the basics (family, housing, chump change nice things) I'd set up almost all of it in bonds and live off the multi-million interest per annum.

7. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Honestly, I'd like to say I'd do great things, and have great plans, etc.

But realistically, if I ever somehow come into "never worry about paying the bills ever again" kind of money, what I'm going to do with it is become a shut in, staying home to play video games and read books and watch movies all day, with regular forays into the world to go to concerts/music festivals. That's really all I'd want to do.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Invest in Real Estate and have lower rent to help out select renters, and poorer people.
    Place large amounts in community housing groups which has subsidized housing for poor people.
    Place money in property trusts.

Put aside large amount per family, do NOT want to spoil them. I want them to have a better life. not become lazy spoiled and greedy.

Stop working and go on month long holiday in Japan, then can go and study programming like I always wanted.
    Buy myself something nice, like a $1000 high pressure state of the art rice cooker.

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I basically do that now, and I don't have any money.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I would sign up for Cutlass's plan.

11. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Well yeah, me too, so not much would change except I wouldn't have to go to work 5 days a week :lol:

12. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Id put it all in a savings account and carry on playing video games.

13. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

:cooool:

14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Start a hedge fund.

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Become a koch-head.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

First I would hire Whomp or whoever to invest half of that money into whatever is going to provide a decent yet relatively safe return over the long term.

Then I would take my entire family and some friends on an amazing adventure around the world.

Then I would fly into outer space with a lady.

17. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Give Obsidian a proper Q.A team.

18. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I'd tick the box which says "let everyone know I've won", so it won't be a secret.

Then I'll start lording it up like the neuvo-riche little pillock I've always wanted to be, deep inside :mischief:

19. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

How could you JR ! :mad:
    We could help you spend you way out of the 1% :lol:

20. NetGear

NetGear King

money corrupts ya know. but i would at least try valiantly to do the same thing as well. just not sure if all that money will keep me grounded for long.

staying anonymous is the super important part also. on the offchance all that fortune doesnt change you in the slightest bit, people around you will still make you miserable.