Congratulations Firaxis!

15,000 players for a strategy game like Civilization is most definitely not fatally low. I used to play AoE III pretty competitively and even in its prime the numbers for that game were nowhere near what they are for games like Counter-Strike and Black Ops and the like. The simple fact is this: Civilization V is not, in general, accessible to the typical computer gamer, very few people appreciate the time and devotion to a single game of this. I'll admit, I've been playing sparsely (mostly due to having graduate exams) but also because playing this game requires a lot of attention and time that some people just aren't willing to give. Honestly, when I got on this game the other day and saw that we were peaking out at around 28,000 players for the day, I was blown away that ANY strategy game would have such a playerbase.

Thanks Piece :) I haven't played Civ in so long, I started out when I was a kid playing Civ II and then picked it up again in Civ IV, now I'm back and long overdue for some empire building.

Admittedly, I'm a bit biased in these strategy games. I've been conditioned by the Total War series of games, so I'm definitely loving the revamped military setup along with the new hex tileset. Just makes me sad to see so much doomsaying over this game because I've enjoyed every incarnation of it that I've played.

Speaking of TF2, imagine if Firaxis spent the next 3 years doing for Civ5 what Valve did for TF2? Tons of post-release support and patch after patch of free content updates.

THAT would turn me around on this. Maybe it'll happen. I'm skeptical, but wouldn't that be nice if it did? :)

One can only hope, but with 2K Games in control, I don't see this ever happening. :(

Honestly, I don't think many companies except Valve do such an amazing job on their games before release dates, maybe Blizzard. Then again that's probably the main reason we had to wait so long for titles like Diablo III, Starcraft II and Half-Life 2.

Hey there guys it's me again and I'm happy to inform you that after almost one year, Civ5 peaks at 28k players. Time for an expansion perhaps?

Yeah I'd say getting the game working at some decent level is much more important than an expansion or even another DLC.

In your face, Call of Duty!

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Man, I'm really pleased that developers can get some money with quality games. Can't wait till you start patching the game and giving us some nice expansions (and add Incas), untill then I'll be cleaving, chopping and maiming with Montezuma.:goodjob:

CiV is not even close to beating MW3.

Current Players Peak Today Game

23,212 82,240 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
22,937 59,526 Team Fortress 2
21,082 79,984 Counter-Strike
16,228 65,028 Counter-Strike: Source
14,788 62,750 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
13,635 76,127 Football Manager 2012
9,385 29,272 Sid Meier's Civilization V
9,291 24,765 Dota 2
4,586 16,045 Terraria
4,229 13,325 Left 4 Dead 2

People are still playing Left 4 Dead 2?

And what of this "Dota 2" ?

Which of both games is better is subjective.
But civ5 beeing more casual friendly is objective.

But I must say, civ5 managed to bring my friends to the franchite, who always passed on older civs. So I finally can play civ online unlike civ1-4

Playing multiplayer>all the features we lost

Amusing how an archaic game like normal CS can still beat CiV in player numbers.

And Dota2 is a port of the Warcraft 3 custom map DotA, basically a 1 hero per player spellfest, the easy gameplay has also spawned unofficial clones like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, which are all basically the same game.

And Dota2 is a port of the Warcraft 3 custom map DotA, basically a 1 hero per player spellfest, the easy gameplay has also spawned unofficial clones like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, which are all basically the same game.

I actually know that, but since it's never been released yet but people are already playing it with numbers in top 10....I am curious :)

CiV is not even close to beating MW3.

Yeah, but at the time this post was made, MW3 wasn't even out, so it's not really relevant. One game is a few months old. The other is a year and a half old.
Anyway, the fact that Civ V still regularly is in the Top 10 is good. Long as Firaxis keeps supporting the game it will probably stay that way for awhile.

The possibilities with mods are incredible, I can see that CIV5 will become fun for everyone and that is the goal of the devs as they plan to help the community on that issue.
The tone of this post is too cheerful.

Amusing how an archaic game like normal CS can still beat CiV in player numbers.
It isn't surprising though, as the CS games have sold extremely well internationally and both will run on very low end and old computers. There was an internet cafe I went to in southern Spain a few years ago and it was mostly full of young teenagers playing CSS. This wasn't a big city either.

I actually know that, but since it's never been released yet but people are already playing it with numbers in top 10....I am curious :)

Invite only beta.

I am probably will get flamed but Dota2 is more addicting than Civ5 lol. :):):) Anno 2070 too!

Well yeah Dota2, despite all it's flaws of simplicity, is a better designed game, unlike CiV that just completely threw away all it's improvements over the years, Dota2 is just a contiuation and I expect improvement on an already very addictive game that respects it's past improvements. During the last IEM championship (I think) the viewer counts on the LoL (basically the same game) stream greatly exceeded the SC2 numbers, which was the main event.
And yeah it's still only in beta, I would not be surprised if it takes the top when it's released.

And Maniacal, I'm not even talking about CSS, just normal CS, which I thought died out when CSS got popular, evidently I was wrong.

Top Bottom