1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Congratulations to We-the-people

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Shadoweave, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Shadoweave

Shadoweave Chieftain

Hello guys,

Me and my friends enjoyed playing 2.7.1.1 last night. We had fabulous games without any desync issues!
    This is the first time that 2.7 is working great for us. What a difference with 2.4! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!!

2. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

I play this and Vox Populi. Community mods are the best, just as community Linux distros are to operating systems! Cheers! :)

Nightinggale and Shadoweave like this.
  3. Shadoweave

Shadoweave Chieftain

Debatable :scan: :crazyeye: :lol:

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Hi guys,

my congratulations too.

It has been a long time since I last visited this forum.
    But it is great to see, that there are still active modders around.

At first I was a bit sad, when I read, that RaR mod project was discontinued.
    But then I saw, that you guys started this mod project based on RaR.

So basically WtP is continuing RaR legacy, just like RaR was continuing TAC legacy originally.
    (Please consider giving credits to RaR and TAC as well as other RaR contributors in your overview.)

Currently I am not playing RaR or any other Civ4Col mod.
    But maybe I give your mod a try during this vacation.

All the best wishes from a former modding colleague.
    Keep up the spirit. :thumbsup:

Bye the way, who are the core team members of this project ?

Best regards,
    Ray

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  5. HermanHeydt

HermanHeydt Chieftain

:) I concur.
    The best Christmas present by far, made this vacation time that extra sweet.

Sad to see RaR end, but We The People will prevail!

Nightinggale likes this.
  6. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

Now that is how to make a proper thread. Everybody stays on topic and it makes the reader happy. At least it made this reader happy.

I'm so happy to hear that. I spent ages fixing desync issues (or more specifically a specific one), which was in RaR 2.7. I had to develop an entire network sync debug display engine to assist in figuring out what is going on when going out of sync. It turned out to be triggered by culture spread of the AI, something which was impossible to figure out based on player actions just prior to going out of sync. Getting the network stability to this level was a lot of hard work and I'm happy to hear that the work paid off :hatsoff:

Now that we have desync debug engine with extensive logging, we can hopefully fix future desyncs faster. However it has also been mentioned as a way to test performance improvements, like with and without fast code to ensure that it really will only provide faster code and not actually also alter the game mechanics.

With the exception of copying a fix from K-mod, I have done all the desync fixes, mainly due to being the most experienced in the area. However I wouldn't mind other people being skilled too. In fact I wrote the network coding guide because I want all mods to be desync free, both for Colonization and BTS.

Sadly we recently had a bug report about desync related to bargaining with natives. We haven't confirmed this yet, but even if it's true, it's luckily not the hardest issue to avoid for players until a proper fix is released. At least it's much easier to avoid than something the AI can trigger.

I wrote something about updating the credits. Right now it's technically still claiming to be RaR without the WTP people mentioned. We can do better than that, but at the same time it should have a redesign to avoid the credits from being a mess related to translations. One thing is for sure and that is old credits will not vanish from the readme/credits. Deleting names from a credits list is the same as claiming credit for the work of somebody else and that's just something you shouldn't do. Even if all the work of a certain person is deleted (say all the code is rewritten), that person should still be in the credits because it contributed to shaping the mod. Example: say we rewrite the school mechanics and integrate the learning by doing into the school system (it's a proposal under consideration for long term plans), then then all the original LbD code will die. However even without even a single line of code, the concept itself will still be there, which alone justifies the credits. There is also the credits for just keeping the mod alive through all those years.

Credits in the source code itself is a different story. They will slowly fade away with the natural evolvement of the code. This mainly happens to code, which is scrapped because a complete redesign and rewrite benefits performance, bug avoidance, xml modder friendliness or whatever reason we could have to replace code. Credits in the code itself dies if it happens to restrict further development.

• Nightinggale
    • Devolution
    • Albucc
    • ShadesOfTime
    That's the list of programmers in the team.
    That's the list of graphics artists, xml modders and text writers in the team. We need more people. It's not that programmers can't do anything other than program, but it would be nice to be able to form a team where each task can be handled by somebody with a passion for the task in question, or at least that general area of the task.

We could also do with a web designer. A proper homepage wouldn't be bad and it would also be nice if we could have a web interface for translators. It seems getting translators to use git and edit xml files directly is a bit of an issue :sad:
    It shouldn't be that difficult to make an interface to edit utf-8 encoded xml files if you have experience with web interfaces.

7. HermanHeydt

HermanHeydt Chieftain

I will be able to help out with webpage sometime come summer or august.
    Sooner if the system I am designing at work finishes ahead of schedule (though experience tells me that is wishful thinking)

Getting an interface up and running should be right up my alley as well - cannot commit as of yet, but willing to help out.
    Will check out some of the files and start to think about an efficient solution.

devolution and Nightinggale like this.
  8. Alignn

Alignn Chieftain

I'm interested in working with the text in the game! Really enjoyed RaR the last few weeks and noticed some niggling issues in the civopedia. Some grammatical, but also technical, like the transport section referring to trains, which appear to have been replaced by carriages and waystations.
    I've also got some experience with programming, so git and xml would be no problem to work with.

Nightinggale and ryanmusante like this.
  9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

After many domination victories on Revolutionary level, I tried a something different. A speed independence victory. (around 80 turns) Minor tweaks to the map. ;)
    You learn something new every game. I have ALWAYS ignored the other nations preferring to properly blood my troops against them for the inevitable showdown. Who know they would give you man-of-wars :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CptBadger likes this.
  10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Thank you for continuing to develop We The People off of RaR. Been awhile since I played RaR 2.7 and just D/L'd the updates to get WTP up to 2.7.1.1. Look forward to the challenge. Thanks again.

11. TaylorItaly

TaylorItaly Chieftain

Thanks for this amazing mod!!!
    I have a lot of fun with this.
    Actual i wanted to bypass the time till anno 1800 come out; but now i will play Colo and "We are the people" the next weaks!!!