[GS] Connecting Power to Cities and Buildings

vorlon_mi

Emperor
Apologies if this is a newbie question, but how does one actually distribute power from power plants to those buildings that need it? I've only played a few games and have not figured this out yet.

Do I have to build a power connection between a city with a power plant and a city without?
Is that done with a unit (like a builder or engineer) or through another process, e.g., using a trade route to build a road?
How many power plants do I need? Is there any difference between coal, nuclear, or other?

When I use the lens for showing the Power status of my empire, it always looks .... dark. :undecide:

Given adequate resources, a Power Plant will adequately generate and distribute power to City Centers within a six-tile range of the Industrial Zone the plant is located in. No power connections needed! The Power lens shows the extent of power coverage, those cities without power, and the cities without any need for power. A Power Plant will use enough fuel to meet the power demands for that turn (meaning 2 uranium resources for 17 power, for instance), and there is a hierarchy for choosing fuel for overlapping coverage. Power Plants and fuels do differ with respect to yields, efficiency, and pollution. The most straightforward path would be with Coal Power Plants, whereas the cleanest would be waiting for Hydroelectric Dams and Renewable Energy tile improvements, though these only power the host city. It is worth noting that Mexico City affects the range of Power Plants.

The Wiki provides more detailed information.

Power is more for builders and those playing into the late-game. You can cluster your cities within range of Industrial Zones to minimize the number of Power Plants needed to provide power, but you can also build Power Plants in every city, because what's stopping you? If you are playing for a fast Science Victory, Coal is an early and reliable source of power and production. If you are sticking around long enough to endure the effects of Climate Change, other sources are most likely preferable.

Personally, I do not find the Power system all that well-developed, as it is not very difficult to power one's cities. I would recommend JNR's Progressive Power Consumption mod for added complexity.

Top Bottom