1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting to Internet via Router

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by deanej, May 18, 2011.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

Does anyone know how to connect to the internet via a router? I can connect by plugging the modem directly to my laptop but would like to use a Speedstream 4 port router borrowed from my parents so I can have a hardware firewall (since being directly on the internet is very dangerous to say the least). Perhaps I should mention that I have never configured a router before, was not here when my RoadRunner internet was installed (so I don't know any settings regarding it), and Speedstream appears to have vanished without a trace (so there's no tech support to contact, and the documentation that I have is woefully inadequate; it assumes that you plug it in and it works). I can't figure out what's going wrong; the router can't see that it's connected to the internet when I plug in the modem into the WAN port. My computer can see the router but can only get on the internet if it's plugged in directly to the modem.

Please help; I'm pulling my hair out and I don't want my computer to be exposed to hackers much longer!

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

A home router typically is pretty much plug and play. They know better than to sell you something that would take effort to use. So plug the modem into the port on the router that says net, and plug the PC into the PC port, and you should be good to go. It has more features than that. But you don't need them to get started.

3. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

And don't forget to secure the signal if you're going to use wireless features. Consult the documentation that came with the router, or if you can't find it, you can probably find a copy online.

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Your router might need settings to connect to the internet via the modem. Just plug your modem directly into the wall like normal, go on your ISP's website, and see if they have instructions for setting up a router. Otherwise call your ISP's tech support, or a friend - it's difficult to understand your problem without seeing it.

5. deanej

deanej Deity

That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't work. Perhaps it's worth mention that the router can also act as a printer server.

It doesn't have wireless. This router is as old as broadband internet itself.

They don't. And my router's documentation assumes that everyone with cable internet uses some provider called "@Home" for some reason.

My issue is pretty much as reported - I hooked everything up and it doesn't work. I assume that some people on here have experience setting up routers. Is there some magic trick to making it see the internet that I don't know about? Until this week, I assumed they were plug and play just like a switch is.

EDIT: Just go an email from Time Warner. They told me to contact SpeedStream for support. But as I posted, SpeedStream went out of business years ago! There's nobody to contact for support! It's up to you guys.

6. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Routers to my knowledge typically aren't plug-n-play, at least not the older ones I know of.

Most routers are configured by opening your browser, and going to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - give this a try. It might ask for a username and password, in this case (usually) leave the username blank and enter the password 'admin'

If those numbers don't work, google the make/product number of your router and find out what it's default IP address is.

7. deanej

deanej Deity

I've found that already. I tried entering my host name and even cloning my computer's mac address but it still won't connect.

8. illram

illram Moderator Moderator

So you tried setting it to automatic DHCP? I have cable and that's what my Linksys is connected as.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

At this point I would go buy a wireless router for 10 bucks off craigslist.

10. Cutlass

Some routers have a little reset button hidden on them somewhere. Try that.

11. deanej

deanej Deity

If by automatic DHCP you mean a Dynamic IP address, then yes.

Just did a reset. No go.

I noticed on Motorola's site (the modem is a Motorola sb5101) that "Connecting PCs directly to the cable modem requires additional configuration which can only be provided by your cable provider." Obviously Time Warner did just that; I'm wondering if said configuration makes it impossible to connect to a router.

EDIT: Just in case anyone was curious; I found the router's proof of purchase in the stack of papers Dad gave me on it. It was bought in November 2002.

12. Cutlass

13. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Honestly, if you haven't gotten it to work yet, it's time to just replace the thing. 20 bucks just isn't worth this kind of hassle.

14. Cutlass

A new router will probably not just not have the problems you are facing, but be better in other ways as well. For example, it will probably have a better firewall, which is what you wanted it for in the first place. The firewall of one 9 years old may have known exploitable holes.

15. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

2002?! Dump it.

16. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator

What kind of cat-5 cable are you using between the router and the internet cablemodem? 2002 was back far enough that every ethernet port wasn't autosensing crossover cables, it may require one and you're probably using a straight-through one. What do the link-lights show?

17. illram

illram Moderator Moderator

I believe DCHP uses dynamic IP addresses but DHCP is a specific setting the router should have for connecting to the internet. Is there a dropdown box or list of settings where the router asks you whether your connection is PPoE, DHCP, and others? Usually cable ISPs use DHCP.

There may also be a page on your router homepage where you have to enter your username and password. Look for that. Screenshots of your router homepage might also be helpful, showing the tabs and options you are working with.

18. fromeast2west

fromeast2west Warlord

Comcast used to tie it's service to specific mac addresses out here, and the DSL service I recently got rid of worked the same way.

To put any other device directly downstream from the modem you either need to run a program (usually on a CD provided by the ISP), or call the ISP and have them re-provision the modem.

19. Cutlass

That's a terrible policy :crazyeye: People are changing computers all the time.

20. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

If you haven't already, open a browser, enter http://192.168.0.1 in the Address field, press ENTER, and you should be prompted to log in to your router as an administrator. The login is likely just "admin" and the password is probably empty by default, "password," or "admin" again.

Once you get into the router setup screens, see if you can run the on-board wizard to automatically select the proper settings. You shouldn't have to do a whole lot of manual configuration.

Alternatively, yeah, just fork out 20-30 bucks and buy a working piece of hardware. :)