1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquer vs. Vassalage

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by STEINMAN1000, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

If I can conquer, easily, I'll conquer.

I seldom play for space/culture, so most of my games, I play with a domination/diplomation win in mind. Usually I'd rather have the vassal's land and better cities to accomplish that. Thus, most of my vassals have only a handful of scattered cities that are too much trouble to chase down, and neither helpful, nor a threat to win culture or secede.

2. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Unless I control 45% of land area or more, I prefer annexation because I hate my vassals putting a cultural pressure on my newly conquered cities. Unfortunately, cities with strong majority of vassal culture still tend to revolt just like any other city under cultural pressure.

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Let me ask about this, since I so rarely take vassals.
    In BtS, you control the cities whole BFC, whatever the cultural pressure - right?
    And you are saying that pressure from neighbor cities will cause the captured city to revolt?
    Can it flip?

In vanilla and warlords, is it true that the vassals culture remains and a captured city might be able to work only a few of its tiles - is that true? can it flip?

4. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

In BTS: Yes, you get the whole BFC. Pressure can cause disorder but not a flip. I station my old outdated archers/warriors in such cities to prevent disorder.

5. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Yes - in the sense you can work the BFC tiles as you choose. The culture from the vassal (or others) remains, and it will usually dominate yours.

Yes, the city can revolt. Ignore the fact that you can work the BFC tiles - as far as I can tell, the revolt mechanic works just the same way it does in a non-vassal situation.

The city can flip to a third party, and to its former owner if you have that option enabled.

Dunno.

6. Choeimok

Choeimok Spreading the confusion

I usually just play with no vassal states - been ticked off by the mechanics a few times too many.

7. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

If you have "culture flip after conquest" selected, it can flip. Otherwise not to original owner.

There were no vassals in vanilla. Warlords vassals did not cede tiles to master, so you might only work a few of the capture city's BFC tiles, just like you would if you only signed a peace treaty.

8. plastiqe

plastiqe Grinch

I playd Civ III for a long time as well but once I got Civ IV I never went back. Civ IV BTS is the best game in the series for me. It's also interesting that if you go back and check out Rhye's Mod for Civ III, you can see that it is where they got a lot of their ideas for Civ IV.

For instance, Archers being a defensive as opposed to offensive unit. : /

9. STEINMAN1000

STEINMAN1000 Chieftain

I played civ 3 for about 12 years. Just recently started with BTS, took awhile to get used to it, but now civ 3 seems so ancient. Still though, one of the best strategy games ever made:D.

10. qazq2

qazq2 Warmonger

I really like to vassal, however, sometimes it is better to conquer. It depends on your situation; I usually vassal but not always.

11. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I think that the complete conquest is better because :

1) All the citizens in all conquered cities immediatly change to Your culture once the rival Civ is eliminated (with the exception of barbarians I think) - no revolts.
    2) You do not need to pay the high maintenance costs in Your cities associated with having a vassal. (Which easily beats the happines bonus You get having one imho)
    3) You are in complete control :)

On the other hand having a Vassals gets You :

1) Happines "We influence another civ" bonus
    2) Possibility to end wars quickly and decisively
    3) An opportunity to "milk" Your vassal with corporations, and by "milking" I mean reaping profits by establishing corp. branches in his territory and ordering him/her to adopt free market :D

12. TheSunIsDark

TheSunIsDark Settled Great Scientist

Conquer. Vassal happiness is normally much less than the motherland unhappiness, and you get a diplo hit for vassalizing. And you can get a city. I only vassal if I need the votes for diplo victory or if I can't be bothered to take the last city, normally one on another island.