1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

conquering a city triggers military victory for one player and religious victory for another

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by king of nowhere, Apr 3, 2017.

1. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Chieftain

today I just wanted to get saladin's achievement, so i set up a duel pangea at the easiest difficulty and i set about beelining mameluks and mass-producing them. Normally when i want easy achievements I just pick religious victory against kongo, but hey, this time I needed to conquer a city to get the achievement, so i didn't care who the opponent was. I was in full "let's get this over as soon as possible" mode.

I ended up against cleopatra, no matter. I beelined mameluks, she founded a religion. I didn't care, I just needed to get 4 or 5 and conquer her capital. I could make a religion of my own, but i didn't want to be bothered. I just pass turns quickly, when dang! I lost the game! cleopatra got the religious victory. Turned out she sailed some missionaries past my front city and I didn't see them. kinda humiliating.

well, ok. i reload three turns before, and i declare war right now. cleopatra has all cities with religion, i have 4 cities (i couldn't be bothered to make more) and 2 are converted. she only need to convert one of my cities to win. of course she has no army to speak of, i face her first city, it goes down even faster than i tought, i conquer it and... dang! i lost again!

Yeah, turns out if I conquer her city, now I have 5 cities, 3 of whom are converted, and so I lose. I didn't even get to the "do you want to keep this city" option, just insta-loss. ok, i reload again that same turn.

But what happen if I conquer the capital?? by conquering all capital cities, I should win the game. At the same time, after conquering it the majority of my cities will have cleopatra's religion, and so cleopatra should win the game!

Well, I spent some 30 minutes on this game, may as well try. I conquer the capital, not knowing what to expect - win? lose? draw? game crash? - and I immediately get the military victory. I checked again, and noticed that the capital was also the holy city, so now that I conquer the holy city did I also achieve a religious victory at the same time? well, since I got the military victory, it probably wouldn't have mattered. it was a nice paradoxical situation, though.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You would not have gotten a religious victory by conquering her Holy City -- only the original founder of a religion can win a religious victory with that religion.

3. SlySlySly

SlySlySly Chieftain

This is true, a religious victory is when you convert the majority of other civs' cities to your religion. You would do this by founding a religion and then focusing on spreading it. You can not win a religious victory by capturing holy cities.

So therefore, you did not win both. You only one military.

I find it strange that you didn't use Saladin's religious bonuses. When I play as Saladin, I focus on founding my religion early, convert my cities, then city states, then let pressure and my missionaries/apostles finish off all other religions. But you won military nonetheless.

4. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Chieftain

well, so I got a military victory while she got a religious victory at the same time, but my military victory had priority.

as I said, I only wanted to get achievements. i needed to win with arabia and to conquer a city with a mameluk, winning by conquest was the faster way to get both