1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest on continents maps?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Leuf, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Leuf

Leuf Chieftain

I had this problem to a slightly lesser extent with Civ3, but how do you manage to get a Conquest win without first triggering Domination on anything but a pangea map? The problem I have is that any AI that is small will always stock up a settler or two so if I raze any significant area of cities another AI will plop down a city. I can never seem to get myself into a position where I am strong enough to be at war with EVERYONE left, have enough units to control the areas that I've razed and finish everyone off.

My last game I didn't even raze, but when I captured a city it was far enough away from the rest that there was ONE tile that was 3 tiles away, coastal, and not within any borders. Sure enough England sends over a transport with a settler and 3 mech inf.

I play on Noble with small maps (too many crashes for me on normal). Usually this means 2 continents with 2 civs each, and one smaller continent with 1 civ within galley range of one of the others. I usually take out my neighbor early, then one of the two civs on the other large continent. That leaves me with 2 and I can never manage to get both of them without triggering a domination first, and usually I think if I had domination disabled I would lose to space race before I could kill them both.

I'm thinking one possibility might be to first take my continent as usual, and then go after all the coastal cities of 2 AIs so they can't send out settlers anymore, but they'll just rebuild them..

How are you guys pulling it off?

2. petey

petey Prince

Clear out one of the islands and keep a force stationed there while you take out the rest of the civs. Ship some workers over too to build roads/railroads all over it and then just attack anyone who shows up with a settler. Build a city with an airport there as well so that you can quickly send in reinforcements if necessary. Also, build a large navy and sink any transports that ship out from the AI cities so they can't get to another landmass in the first place.

It is hard to get a Conquest victory and you have to specifically decide not to go the Domination route and just raze cities instead of capturing them.

3. FenrysWulf

FenrysWulf Evil Norse Wolf

It seems pretty clear to me that if you don't want the AI building a city in an open space, you need to have one there instead. So don't raze conquered cities. It's as simple as that. If you don't want to win by domination, disable that condition and take your chances.

4. Jantis

Jantis Chieftain

Yeah, I have to cheat and turn off the Domination victory condition. I R CHETUR!

5. Oggums

Oggums King

Take your continent, then raze the other one.

It helps if you keep an ally on the other continent, the civ that's closest to you. That way you can use it's nearest coastal city as a safe port. After you raze the other civs on that continent, turn around and jack your buddy.

If that's not possible, I'd just wait for marines and carriers, then load up several transports along with air support to lower defenses. Even later, you can load up a bunch of Gunships, which get to land and still move to attack on the same turn, as long as you have some marines/infantry to take the empty port and hold it.

But the key to conquest is razing the second continent. It's pretty much the same as Domination for most of the game, but the end is more satisfying. ;)

The fact that the AI you aren't at war with will plop down cities should be an advantage. They'll incur maintenance costs on cities that wont have time to grow and be very productive, plus they have to spread out thier units more.

6. Leuf

Leuf Chieftain

Should I go after the 1 civ continent or 2 civ continent first? I've noticed that one continent is often divided in two by impassable mountains, I'm not sure if this is new with 1.52, I hadn't noticed it before.

7. Hergrom

Hergrom Bushido Master

On a continents map, naval power is your best friend. For conquest, and other types of victory too.