Conquest victory?

innonimatu

the resident Cassandra
I've been cheking which victories are possible with the standard map size of RFC RAND. Apart from the UHV, space race is easy (as usual) and domination can be done. Cultural victories should also be possible, if a game lasts long enough.

What about plain conquest? Can it be done with the stability penalties from expansion? One thing I noticed in my warmonger games is that razing cities doesn't seem to prevent loss of expansion points (might as well occupy them). Was this also the way RFC "classic" behaved?
The best I could do without collapsing was to vassalize everyone on the map. I thought that should lead to a conquest victory. It doesn't. So, is conquest possible in any way with the standard map?

The best civ for conquest would be Persia, since their special power doesn't get canceled out by occupation (i.e, you only lose 1 point when you raze a city, as opposed to 3 when you don't occupy the city). And they spawn early enough to wipe everybody out, just like the Romans did. Now if the Persians can only get some decent marble and stone...

It's best not to even let the civs be born (because you won't then need to raze their cities)--just crush their troops by sacrificing some catapults/cannons and then kill them with a stack of your own.

I think as it now stands, conquest is impossible: first because there's not enough production, and second because there's the unknown element of random flips of your cities and barbs (i.e. you can't kill them all at once), and third because of the way civs are spawning (not close enough to each other).

Top Bottom