Conquests: Buggy or infinitely harder?

Lorax

Chieftain
I added conquest expansion pack and played Regent - which I usually use....I find myself able to "keep up" technology wise, make money with PTW:Gold version (patched v1.29f)....

Well, for some reason - with conquests (non-patched/I played one game last night) - I couldnt keep up - not even close - couldnt build wonders and worst of all - my civ made nothing....I couldnt support a medicore army - NO science or luxury....every turn was in the red...

Is Conquests harder on the same level as PTW?
Or is the patch much better - corruption wise?

I had that same problem when I first got Conquests, it was because I went to Republic to early the 2 gpt unit cost is a killer when you have a bunch of small towns. I started going straight to monarchy, and stayed in that till Democracy came around, now I don't have any problems.

Originally posted by wakkoxc
I had that same problem when I first got Conquests, it was because I went to Republic to early the 2 gpt unit cost is a killer when you have a bunch of small towns. I started going straight to monarchy, and stayed in that till Democracy came around, now I don't have any problems.

Bingo.....

That must be it....I had lots of small towns and researched straight to Republic and changed over very early in the game - it was after that when things went to hell.....

In civ 3 conquests I am noticing more and more having gold and knowing people seems to get your further then researching stuff then older civ games. That and crushing everyone with a huge army which is best supported in despotism Fuedalism and later facism for me. Republic and democracy are really peacetime governments though republic can handle some war the unit costs kill you until you get alot of big towns. Monarchy is a decent government too mainly cause theres no war weariness. As for wonders, the AI civ builds them faster on harder difficulties then you can even hope to achieve unless you prebuild for it or get the tech before them and start building the wonder. The difficulty seems to increase signifigantly after monarchy difficulty in conquests.

Many (probably most) people have found that they need to "step back" a level when they get Conquests, until they learn the differences between it and earlier versions. ;)

BTW, corruption problems are noticably better in the *beta* patch 1.15. If you don't want to deal with "unfinished" versions (betas), the final version of the patch should be out by the end of February. :)

Many (probably most) people have found that they need to "step back" a level when they get Conquests, until they learn the differences between it and earlier versions.

Yeah, probably - except, I had only limited experience on Gold version ;) .....But on Warlord, I couldnt even trade - the CIVs never had any money or had any tech advances for me to trade for - it was very, very boring....So I would rather take a rear kicking or two to learn the ropes on Regent - which at least has the semblence of CIVs being competant...

BTW, corruption problems are noticably better in the *beta* patch 1.15. If you don't want to deal with "unfinished" versions (betas), the final version of the patch should be out by the end of February.

Beta patches dont bother me - I installed 1.21 beta last night....Hopefully this will help....but it seems switching to Republic so early while the cities werent fully developed was the downfall...

Thanks to all who have helped.....

Lorax:
I think 1.21 is a PTW patch and not even the latest at that. I think you mean 1.12 patch. That is the one I am using for C3C.

Originally posted by Padma
Many (probably most) people have found that they need to "step back" a level when they get Conquests, until they learn the differences between it and earlier versions. ;)
I didn't have problems with C3C after PTW. Maybe if I was industrious-addicted it would be another case. It actually felt easier:eek: I'm in minority I suppose:D

Originally posted by Ville

I didn't have problems with C3C after PTW. Maybe if I was industrious-addicted it would be another case. It actually felt easier:eek: I'm in minority I suppose:D

you're not alone, i had that too :crazyeye:

Originally posted by Padma

Padma's right. I tuned down to Warlord to take on C3C. Did quite well and learned a lot of lessons on some of the Conquests.

C3C is harder until you adjust. It needs to be patched to at least 1.12 to play properly or corruption kills too many cities.

I ran a couple of warlord testing games. One of them was entirely in 1.00, the other went from 1.00 to 1.12 to 1.13, so it was my patch-testing game. Right now I'm playing a game as the Celts on regent, my normal level-- and I'm doing quite well. Only one AI is a threat to me, the Aztecs.

Top Bottom