1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquests: City Aerial View

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sparrow3, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

:( Why have they removed the aerial view of the city in Conquests?

I found this useful for determining quickly what had been built. Also, it was sometimes useful when spying or building an embassy to take a look at the aerial view. It could give you a hint as to where the AI was culturally. I miss my aerial view. :cry: Is there anyway I can get it back.

A patch! A patch! My kingdom needs a patch! :help:

[c3c]

2. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I believe the city view is enabled for random map games (but the new wonders aren't in it).

As for the scenarios/conquests, that is because most, if not all of them have different buildings/wonders than what is in the normal game, so they would have to make all new graphics for all of them, which would number in the 100's (too much time/resources for something very few players spend any time looking at).

3. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

Thanks for the reply, Bamspeedy.
    I tried loading Sn00pys terrain v4.5; I didn't get an aerial view in that scenario either. I did get the view in (what do they call it?) the basic game. It seems that everytime I create a xxx.biq file it looses the aerial view. I am very confused.

4. Bamspeedy

What are you confused about? Apparently, they programed it so that *any* mod does not get the aeriel view. I agree, that this was probably overreacting on their part, because just doing terrain changes shouldn't disable the aeriel view. It should only be when there are any 'rule' changes.

5. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

AH, now I understand; but why would they do that to all mods. I disagree about turning it off when the mod has rule changes. If anything city aerial view should be an editor option. If they are too lazy to produce new aerial view art work for statue of Zeus or MoM, at least give the old stuff.

Anyone out there know how we can get this working again?

6. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Ask nicely, instead of calling them lazy.

7. kokoras

kokoras Bizarre

1/12.I saw the news at the home page,it refers something on the complains about the bird's eye.Actually it says that dispite the lack of the new G.W in city view the game is very good etc...But no one in here ever said that the game is mediocre,all of as continue on celebrating the new expansion for it's gameplay/new units/improuvements/for everything,as much as i am concerned.
    But that does not change the fact that this lack seems unjustified,i feel like they didn't care if the game sould be as ''perfect'' as it sould be.(I like city view)
    Excuse me but i can't accept everything without a cause,and in my eyes this decision(for the new G.W)is unacceptable.

8. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

No areal view is good! It served no purpose, and it was impossible to mod.

9. JazzToucan

JazzToucan Warlord

It adds a bit of charm to the game. There are many type of civ players. Some, like me, like to sit back once and awhile and say: "Ah, there's Bablyon or Moscow, etc." Corny, yes, but hey, that's civ for 'ya.

10. Schizophreniac

Schizophreniac Chieftain

Feel the same way myself. JazzToucan

Thats like the worst thing they could remove. But hey, the game still is one of the best I have ever tried.

11. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

I still love the game but I too liked too watch the bird eye view of the cities. It's those "extras" that make this game so special.
    The same is true for the Palaces that are missing too:(.

12. JazzToucan

JazzToucan Warlord

Yep. Overall the game is excellent. The scenarios, particularly Rise of Rome and Napoleonic Europe are superb.

Civ 3 is the only computer/video game of any sort I have played in five years or so.

13. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

We can no longer see our Palace grow over the Milleniums now????

IS this just the Conquests, or the random maps or all??

As an old time Civ 1 (DOS) > WinCiv> Civ2 > Civ3 > C3PPTW I must say, I kinda missed the loss of the Wonder Movies. Yea yeaa call me Professorish but I really liked the sense of accomplishment in completing a Wonder, and the epochical feeling of advancement. (I'm Not a Power Player who milks everything in sight, so I never allways had every wonder.) Yea I know spend the effort on the game (Fix the RCP "FIX"!) But to be honest, I would pay a liitle more to get the "extras" of WM or, as discussed here, the aerrial view. I WOULDN'T want the game to be simply eye candy but still, this IS CIVILIZATION. Lets have a little culture! (NO flips, please!)

Just my 2 cents worth.

14. JazzToucan

JazzToucan Warlord

I'm with you... although I skipped Civ 2 entirely. The good ol' days of original Civ watching those city improvements -- particularly the Wonders -- "materialize" in the city view screen with the familiar grainy materialization sound effect... the feet of the Colossus... ah, nostalgia. :)

15. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

I wasn't aware that the palace view was gone too. :cry: What can they have put in that required them to remove both palace and aerial view? :mad: What ever it is; it is not apparent to me.

BTW I like sitting back and admiring my handy work in the views, also.

16. Bamspeedy

I don't think the palace view is gone, you just don't get notifications of the pieces you can add (for random map games). Just hit the key for the palace screen (what is it, F9?).

17. kring

kring Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

You do get notice for random map games; in my current C3C random game, I have the notice pop up about 9-10 times so far. I think it is the scenarios where it isn't popping up.

18. Ivan the Kulak

Ivan the Kulak King

Well, neither Palace view or city view are that important, IMO. City view would be much more interesting if while in civil disorder you were treated to a view of citizens ramaging through the streets, pillaging shops, while your troops chased after them.

19. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

I for one hate what they did to the arial view. I mean the turning off the mods is reasonable even if it makes it impossible to see their scenario only buildings but not including the new wonders is IMO just lazy, why even make on if you won't put the wonders in. They put the new improvements in last time so maybe it was lazyness, or maybe they were rushed to get the game out and didn't have time to add new building spots on the areal view.

20. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

Well, Ivan the Kulak, I have to agree on one part and disagree on the other, but thats just MHO. I (obviously) like the city and Palace views, albeit with the stipulation that the game itself does take priority ... without a (well) working game, the views are worthless, of course. But what a cool idea, rampaging mobs during anarchy ... unfortunately, this would take even MORE resources and efforts away from the basic game, so, lets not add it in UNTIL after the Palace view and the city views are fully functional with all the new wonders etc, AND (YES!) the Wonder Movies are restored ...

In the spirit of your suggestion, another cool idea would be that if you lose (are conquered/killed off) the final movie shows your Palace getting sacked ... lets see the mob burning it down ...but in the interest of not loosing it, lets keep it short, say 15 or 20 seconds or so ...

Sigh. Fun thoughts. Still, I'd rather they fixed the RCP "fix" first, without creating yet another new problem in the process.

Civ. A lesson in life: the saga of the effects of unintended consequences ...