[C3C] Conquests of Might and Magic 3 Preview Thread

tom2050

Deity

CoMM3 Update on the way!

Hello!
I am making this thread, just as a preview. I hope to have this ready to release pretty soon! Everything is coming together, and many updates have been made. The mod is pretty solid, and most issues ironed out. I am testing and making small changes here and there.

I was never truly happy with the way the Conquests of Might and Magic (Heroes of Might and Might 3 conversion) mod turned out from all those years ago. I always felt it was too unstructured and open ended, which caused too many issues. So I streamlined it a bit, went back to the basic model of what makes the game enjoyable, and worked around what works (such as AI strategies). I feel that it has turned out very well, and provides an interesting and different twist to the game.

This entire mod fits on a single tech tree screen, and works surprising well. The game has a good pace for it's 540 turn limit, and you will constantly have a steady stream of tech's providing fun new creatures, magic items, units, upgrades, buildings, resources, and other hidden surprises.

Why have the entire tech tree in one era?
This has allowed for 10 unique civilizations (30 total) with their own unique town graphics, that come with their own unique Level 1 through 7 unit lines, with upgrades. This gets around the '5 culture limit', but with some minor side-effects (such as limited governments, and a single era). While these may not be beneficial in other mod's, they work perfect for a fantasy mod, and so the positives far outweigh these nuances.

Some of the things you will be able to look forward to:
- Graphics: Many new unreleased units are included (I will eventually upload them). Many old units have been improved graphically as well. Terrain has been improved, and parts of the civilopedia have been refined.
- 10 unique civilizations. These town's are all different, but each goes through times where their creatures may be weaker than other's, yet they may be cheaper to build. Or you may need to shoot for a new creature or spell on the tech tree before you can effectively launch an offensive. Town's can upgrade certain creatures by casting creature enhancing spells on them, to increase their stats, or provide them with certain strengths against high end enemies. Rare specialty resources can be found that allow super unique 'Legion' units to be built (all Heroes creatures that are summoned from other time eras).
- Spells: Lot's of spells available. Certain creatures from each town can upgrade throughout the game and make use of powerful spells such as Haste, Stone Skin, and Precision. Depending on the creature, some are more useful than others, and these spells can assist differing situations. Each civ also has certain spell units available to provide air power, teleportation, paratrooper upgrade lines, bombard spells, and defensive spells.
- Heroes: Just like Armies, Heroes serve a special purpose. If you want peace, you will miss out on some powerful structures, such as the Thieve's Guild, and Taverns of Might and Magic. Heroes can run around, and not only strengthen a creature, but can be used to reinforce the front battle lines. The Hero can summon spells from the homeland directly to them, so they can instantly help defend or provide reinforcement as needed.
- Civilopedia has been enhanced with links, and resources, and complete unit and building data, to make sure it is accurate, and to be crash-free. There are many links to make it as easy as possible to find needed information quickly. You won't have to worry about a lack of information here, and won't have to worry about the game crashing from missing files.
- Difficulty information has been added in-game, so you can see what each difficulty level consists of during the game start up.
- Is primarily a conquests and builders oriented mod. Expect a lot of units to be running around, each with many different types of units. In the end game, it is common to see a battle between 2 factions consisting of 20-30 different units. AI aggressively builds creature dwellings, and also builds a variety of it's available units at times.
- Each town has strength's and weaknesses, which come and go throughout the game. For example, our barbarian dwelling Stronghold town is weak on defense, but excels when attacking. They are most vulnerable at the beginning of the game, but become fearsome attackers mid-game. They are true ground-pounders, and are successful only with a attack-before-being-attacked attitude. They also are well equipped to deal with attacks on other towns.
- Fighting different towns requires a different strategy. Know-thy-enemy is key. Do what needs to be done to minimize your own town's weak points, and learn to maximize your towns strong time periods when they arrive. Attacking the defensively minded Fortress swamp creatures with an ill prepared attack group, and you will find your force quickly decimated at their doorstep. Finding yourself knee deep in the dead? If you wait too long that is what may happen while the Deyjan Necromancers amass hordes of skeletons, vampires, and liches!

A few screenshots during mid-game:

Undead, Wights, Skeletons, and their evil magic spells wonder the border of the Barbarian empire. How many more do these necromancers have lurking behind the fog of war.

A lone Hobgoblin searches the neighboring swamp territory of the Fortress creatures. He spots Lizardmen, Gnolls, and Serpent Flies around the large city of Deadwood.

New units such as the Earthquake will rattle your enemies, and break down their fortifications.

Powerful creatures of the Elemental Conflux may be difficult for neighboring factions to deal with early in the game.

The Elven Capital of Piermont, home of the Rampart creatures, has a wide variety of creatures available during the mid game. Here, Pegasi, Centaurs, Dwarves are setting up a defensive network throughout their cities.

The Civilopedia is updated to provide easy links to useful information. Each creature has detailed information on what it can do, along with HoMM3 descriptions to add some backstory and flavor.

I'll add more as I can. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to upload!

Last edited:
That's good keep it up I can't wait to try it with I get my computer back

Awesome news, Tom. Can't wait. I loved the first iteration and this sounds even better! Perfect timing for me as I finally have a working Civ 3 install again after years without. Absolutely can't wait to play this mod! Will be an honour to play it. Your work is always of the highest calibre!

The community is lucky to have you back, mate!

PS: Awsome snowy mountains graphics! There not from Civ 5 are they? Years ago I made some mountains from Civ 5 screenshots that looked a bit like those only crappier.

Tom... Great to See you are close to the Release of CoMM3 and from your preview post it sounds and looks like it has Many Desirable Improvements and Adjustments to enhance the Game.
I am sure it will be Much Fun to Play.

Thank you all!

PS: Awsome snowy mountains graphics! There not from Civ 5 are they? Years ago I made some mountains from Civ 5 screenshots that looked a bit like those only crappier.
Believe it or not, they are HoMM3 itself, modified a bit. And good to hear you got Civ 3 working on Linux! :D

The Heroes that you enlist to lead your creatures into battle, can summon certain magical spells and units to their aid. Below, an Earthquake unit can be summoned through a magical portal to the Hero army.

Regular Heroes and Heroes of Might have a smaller range to summon magical units.
Heroes of Magic, although not as strong, can summon spells from a very long distance away, making them useful for attacks deep in enemy territory.

Some of the intro screens have been updated as well, with some new Climate, Temp, and Age graphics

Sometimes it is tough when you don't know how tough the difficulty levels are going to be? Now you can know before you start your game!

Full difficulty information is provided on the Game setup screen, so you can easily determine how much challenge you want.

Right now, Proven is a nice challenge, with the AI receiving very few 'bonuses'.
Expert is a small step up, but can be tough if you are not careful.
Above Expert the AI is given small incremental bonuses, but much care must be taken to survive.

The game will be best played with AIPatrol activated. It not only makes barbarians more active, but somewhat minimizes 'stacks of death'. Because the Civ AI's will roam around, this causes them to be a bit more spread out, and attack in waves. It also makes it so you won't know if an AI civ has decided to attack, and makes the game a bit more mysterious.

To add a bit a flavor, Plagues and Volcano's are on, but Plague effects are pretty short and minimal, and really won't effect too much. Pollution is also minimal, but may happen a bit with large city populations. Cleanup times are low, so micromanaging that hopefully is minimal.

Pretty stupid question... Of course the mountains are from HoMM like the whole terrain set.

Looks great Tom. The set up for heroes sounds really good. I like the difference between might and magic heroes.

How did you put a civilopedia link in the set up screen? Also, what is AIPatrol? Is it a setting in extended editors or the conquests ini file?

Pretty stupid question... Of course the mountains are from HoMM like the whole terrain set.

Looks great Tom. The set up for heroes sounds really good. I like the difference between might and magic heroes.

How did you put a civilopedia link in the set up screen? Also, what is AIPatrol? Is it a setting in extended editors or the conquests ini file?

Here was is a link to AIPatrol discussion from some time ago. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/fix-for-the-barbarians-sort-of.100704/
Yes it's in the conquests.ini file (or has to be added).

I was able to add the difficulty settings to the Game Limits button that is on the startup screen, so they will show there. I believe in the script file.

Finishing adding some extra touches to this. To expand things a bit, it is actually pretty easy to swap mods to the main files (to play with city view and palace view), only takes a couple minutes.
A palace view is being added, and <cough> something of a city view, but we will see how that goes.

I wasn't able to do everything I wanted to do, due to the size placement restrictions Firaxis made with those image files, but was able to modify them enough to create what is needed. There will be 9 different ones, which you can just swap out depending on the town you are playing.

And then build your town, just like in Heroes from the ground up.. to completion once you have earned enough achievement!

All 17 upgrades are implemented for each town. So although the palace is just a visual, should add a nice extra unique touch to the game experience.

:thumbsup:WOW! The palace-view screen is absolutely stunning! I haven't seen any palace-view since I got addicted to modding - except when trying Steph's multi-era mod. He did not know why the palace suddenly reappeared in his mod (the biq was in the Scenario subfolder). How did you re-activate the palace-view (and upgrade-mechanics)?

:D Well not in mods/scenarios as normal.. I've been playing around with it, and it really is super easy to make a quick backup (copy and paste Conquests files to a backup folder), and copy and paste mod files into the main files. Then if you want back to normal, paste the conquests files back in. Mods run so much smoother and faster anyways this way.

But, the option is there is someone wants it. Trying to finish these up, to get this mod released soon as I can.

I've finished all 9 Palace View graphics from HoMM3, and they work well in game.

Some of this is probably known already, but the good thing is that the Palace View graphics can be enlarged, to incorporate bigger images. Although they are hardcoded for the upper left of the image to be at a specific x,y coordinate on the palace view screen, the enlargement of a graphic will allow it to extend all the way right and down from that x,y coordinate. This can allow for a much greater variety of graphics.

I created a .PSD file, that has the maximum size of magenta backgrounds for each 00 through 16 palace piece of the screen. I will upload these, as the layering makes it easier to create a new Palace View of whatever you like, since you know exactly where you can place images, and then super easily copy the merged layer image and create a PCX.

For the City View however, and very unfortunately, many of the graphics cannot be enlarged. I am also putting together a PSD file, with the pcx images overlaying where they are located on the screen, so it may be easier to customize City View screens for mods (as to know where a building is at, and how big it can be). Also, using layering, you can know exactly how it will look in game.
EDIT: Combined graphic PCX (such as IMP-Ages1) did not allow the graphic on in game to enlarge, but other single images (like Pyramids, etc, expand across the screen from their starting x,y coordinate).

For the most part, there is no special process involved to determine which graphics overlay others. For Palace View, the higher numbered graphic files overlay the lower numbers graphics files (from 00 to 16).

For City View graphics, seems to simply be that graphics overlay anything to the right or above their x,y starting coordinates.

Last edited:
Thanks! So thought about it, and the City View will be a lot different than regular city views. This will be more of a "Map View". So here in each city clicking on the City View icon will bring up a nice map of Erathian lands. Map will show the lands of all the factions territories that you can play (Tatalia, Avlee, Erathia, Bracada, etc) I think this will be kind of nice anyways for the feel of the game. As you build your factions creature dwellings, it will place them (along with a picture of the creature) on the map. Clicking those will bring up that creature dwelling and creature info on the civilopedia.

This will fit pretty well, since the Palace View pretty much shows the city already. Now for the annoying part of re-arranging all the bldg entries in the BIQ and PediaIcons to make the right ones match so they work. :D Hopefully Steph's editor will let me do that more easily. And thanks to a post Civinator had made a while back that explained some of the city view workings a bit.

Okay, I believe I've done about all I can, otherwise could mod forever. The city view and palace view screens are the best I can get them. The city view actually turned out pretty interesting. A lot of mods could do some really cool and unique things. Like EFZI came to mind, could have an overhead of the island, and buildings could kind of tell a graphical story as you build them, which can be different for different civs with unique buildings. It has some pretty cool possibilities. Or a War scenario could show battle plans on a map, e.g. and update with troop movements. Even perhaps, building Intelligence buildings on a pre-designed map, could then show a hidden route or easter egg, to help a player find an enemy weakness or hidden secret, or special pass. Has really opened up some interesting things that could be done, that can push Civ 3 experience even further.

I used a map of Antagarich (HoMM3 continent), and it shows structures appear around the continent as you build them. At some point in the future, if I throw together a scenario, the 'city view' map could be a kind of general guide to the lands before they are unfogged, and I might try some of the ideas above. I will also release the .PSD file for it soon, which will make it a bit easier to customize a city view screen to whatever someone desires.

I'm going to play a quick CoMM3 test game to do a final run, and then I am going to try to get an upload up tomorrow, or this next week if possible.

Top Bottom