Conscription

zeta

Mod Addict
My friend and I were thinking that it would make more sense if conscription worked a bit differently: instead of giving a unit every 6 pop, it should give those units when at WAR. That way civs may spare gold and really get those units when in need. Otherwise those new units just sit there doing nothing (at least when you're not the one to start a war).

Opinions?

Don't just sit on units. Send them out to explore and clear barb camps, or DOW a nearby enemy. You don't have to take cities, you can just wipe out units until you get favorable peace conditions.

My friend and I were thinking that it would make more sense if conscription worked a bit differently: instead of giving a unit every 6 pop, it should give those units when at WAR. That way civs may spare gold and really get those units when in need. Otherwise those new units just sit there doing nothing (at least when you're not the one to start a war).

Opinions?

I really like the current conscription, it saves you a couple of hammers every few turns and lets you worry about other things than just building soldiers.
Your suggestion sounds like it forces you to stay in war, which I really don't like a tree doing.

I think it is mostly ok, but 6 might be a too low number. I my last game I was literaly drowning in Units, and from the atomic age on I had to delete them, because I was getting 2-3 units every turn.

Also, there is a small exploit with this civic and and city states:
If you liberate a city state, you will get a free unit out of it, since for a short time you are in possession of a new city with pop > 6.
Ok, no big deal. However, after liberation, all enemy AI Units are expelled from the CS territory. Then, the CS declares war on this AI. Two turns later, the CS will usually be captured again, and you can liberate it again...
Rinse and repeat.
Each circle, you destroy one AI unit and generate one for yourself.

I think it is mostly ok, but 6 might be a too low number. I my last game I was literaly drowning in Units, and from the atomic age on I had to delete them, because I was getting 2-3 units every turn.

Also, there is a small exploit with this civic and and city states:
If you liberate a city state, you will get a free unit out of it, since for a short time you are in possession of a new city with pop > 6.
Ok, no big deal. However, after liberation, all enemy AI Units are expelled from the CS territory. Then, the CS declares war on this AI. Two turns later, the CS will usually be captured again, and you can liberate it again...
Rinse and repeat.
Each circle, you destroy one AI unit and generate one for yourself.

That's about the same 'exploit' as getting free liberation bonuses for liberating the same city again and again.

I agree. If my suggestion is bad, then at least that pop number should be higher. About 7-8.

Disagreed, 6 pop is significant for the part of the game that the policy is designed for.
Realistically speaking if you're getting 2-3 units per turn you have to have at least 12-18 cities all growing every turn, which I will admit is not really a fantasy-sum but it is still more than you expect to have in a game with standard settings.

Perhaps only the name may be changed, conscription give the idea of requisitionning people to war.

As the policie give a military unit when town grow for example we can consider it's to defend the city and we can name the policy 'Defense service'.

Perhaps only the name may be changed, conscription give the idea of requisitionning people to war.

As the policie give a military unit when town grow for example we can consider it's to defend the city and we can name the policy 'Defense service'.

"Selective Service"

Top Bottom