Consoles

[ICARUS]

Chieftain
Hey. I've been playing my Civ II game on PS1 for years now, and I never get tired with it. I used to own Civ III on the PC, which was GREAT, but I kinda lost it :cry:

Now that Civ IV is out, does anyone know if it'll be available on either PS2 or XBox? Because although my PC could handle Civ III (barely) it was still very slow and my PC calibre, along with the crappy monitor, sort of puts shame to the greatness of the Civ games. Particularly Civ IV for that matter, which looks really, really good.

If its on either PS2 or the XBox, right now, or its set to come out soon, its going to make life a lot better for me. I would greatly appreciate any details anyone can give.

Thanks.

The short answer is no.

[ICARUS] said:
...And the long one?

Noooooooooooooooo ;)

I actually have no clue, although if CivIV does come out on console I imagine it will be one of the next gen three (PS3, X-Box 360, Wii)

Truronian said:
Noooooooooooooooo ;)

I actually have no clue, although if CivIV does come out on console I imagine it will be one of the next gen three (PS3, X-Box 360, Wii)

So it isn't set to come out on any console in the near future? OK, fair enough.

I guess I'll just have to get it on the PC for now.

Thanks for the help.

Considering how much of a memory hog Civ 4 is on the PC, it's hard to imagine they could fit it in the PS2's 32 MB or the Xbox' 64 MB... Next gen consoles have a bit more room but it would still be a tight fit. You'd definitely need one with a hard drive, though (so, no Wii or basic 360).

In any case, I don't think I'd want to play Civ with a gamepad, on a standard-def TV... Ouch...

The Wii does have a hard drive, but I don't think it would work out.

Its a shame though, because if Civ IV WERE to come out in a next gen console, Wii would work best. The Wiimote looks perfect for God Games, and it'd likely work well with Civ too.

They have said that it will come out on a portable console. Your guess is as good as mine if its DS or PSP or N-Gage(lol, unlikely). DS seems more likely due to the touch screen.

They've had versions of Civ on cell phones too, I think, but those have to be seriously simplified versions of the game. I can't imagine the full version of Civ IV running on something like a PSP or a DS. The screens are too small and they don't have nearly enough memory or storage. Not to mention the lack of a keyboard...

If you cut out all of the animations, and the 3D graphics and you only play on small maps, the game should run. The lack of key board isn't to much of a problem as the DS has 2 screens.

It's not a console game. It requires mouse and patience. It won't move over to consoles easily.

jayeffaar said:
They've had versions of Civ on cell phones too, I think, but those have to be seriously simplified versions of the game. I can't imagine the full version of Civ IV running on something like a PSP or a DS. The screens are too small and they don't have nearly enough memory or storage. Not to mention the lack of a keyboard...

Yeah I saw an advert for that. You really can put Civ games on your mobile phone. To be honest though, htf is that meant to work? I consider pong to be a high-tech mobile phones game, even for a high-tech mobile phone.

I bet the one on mobile is nothing at all like the games on PC. Does anyone actually own one on mobile phone?

AlCosta15 said:
It's not a console game. It requires mouse and patience. It won't move over to consoles easily.

Really? ...Why?

This may sound ignorant, but Civ II works perfectly on PS1. Sure, I could imagine playing it better on a PC game, but it still works fine on a PS1.

How would it be so different to putting Civ IV on a PS2 or an XBox, other than quicker option-choosing via a mouse?

Top Bottom