1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidating the Quick Questions thread into a FAQ

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Stalker0, May 13, 2018.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I am "considering" taking on the enormous task of combing through the Quick Questions thread and creating a distinct FAQ for the various questions answered there.

As I said, I'm considering, as its quite an undertaking. But to get me started, does anyway know of a way to quick acquire all of the text for a thread? I would like to see if I can pull all of the text into a fairly easy to read text file to make parsing quicker.

vyyt, pza, bigcat88 and 2 others like this.
  2. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Chieftain

Problem is - quick questions thread is about all versions and lots of stuff has changed over the past 2 years

CppMaster likes this.
  3. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Human Being Supporter

So you're the one I dreamt of that will be the catalyst to the eventual "Vox Populi Gold Edition Manual.pdf". It will look very nice in printed form. In it will be artwork, a table of contents, notes, system requirements, game settings, FAQ section, strategy, civilizations, leaders, technologies, military units, and a foreword written by Gazebo in late 2019. :goodjob:

Dawnpromise, Skidizzle, vyyt and 2 others like this.
  4. Maxxim69

Maxxim69 Chieftain

It took only two minutes for Firefox 60.0 with Re-Pagination WebExtension to parse 150 pages of the Quick Questions thread into a single page on my 6-year-old PC with a 3-Mb ADSL connection. Save the resulting page as HTML or TXT, et voilà!

5. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

How comes you propose this just after I thought it?

Moi Magnus wall of text explaining how to run through the MOD menu, a text that could and should be copy-pasted, leads to a FAQ.

I think I have some FAQ ready:
    Q: Text is misleading, it says one thing but does another.
    A: VP is only supported in English language. Change your game language through Steam options.

Q: Icons are missing, screens don't open, tooltips are wrong.
    A: Enhanced User Interface (EUI) mod cannot be used as a standalone mod with Vox Populi. First uninstall any EUI (bc1 files in game folder), then proceed to install VP EUI version through the installer.

Q: There are no resources in my map, only luxuries.
    A: Resources other than luxuries must be researched before they show up.

6. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Not true. VP installs EUI 1.28g which can also be used to play vanilla games.

7. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Chieftain

Why does the FAQ thread have to be based off the Quick Questions thread particularly? Wouldn't it be easier to make it it's own thread?

CppMaster likes this.
  8. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

Exactly my thought. Not every quick question is frequent.

9. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Not necessarily, but it is a source of inspiration.
    I've always read that the EUI that comes with VP is customized. I don't really know for sure. Maybe it's just freezed in that version to avoid incompatibilities. Whatever the answer, it's a very frequent question.

10. pza

pza Chieftain

While It sounds like you're joking, something like this is probably the best thing to do for the new user experience. Like a "HowToVP.pdf", that even reaches into strategies for victory conditions and a tips & tricks section. But also with the basics, like how to install, how to play multiplayer, and where to find help and modmods. Not a "what changed from vanilla", but a brand new introduction to someone who knows the very basics of ciV. (and then, we could have a "zigzagzigal" writing guides for the civs:mischief:)

vyyt likes this.
  11. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Human Being Supporter

Indeed, I am making a comparison to what exists for "Realism Invictus", a CIV IV mod. They put together a PDF manual with a thorough explanation of the basics of the mod, playstyles and changelog for new users and experienced. I think it would be something that would benefit nearly anyone.

12. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Ofc it is. But it is done via a compatibility sub-mod 6a/6c, the original EUI files are intact. When you play vanilla, the game uses original EUI, when you play VP, those sub-mods customize it.
    Anyway, the more reason to explain it correctly.
    Also, the first FAQ should be „how to install VP”. Really, number of posts in various threads regarding this simple thing is... huge.