1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Constant District Cost Mod 0.3

this mod will make cost of districts constant

1. ichbinsehselber

ichbinsehselber Chieftain

Thanks for reporting this. Just checked it.
    The base cost is constant. But the effective cost is scaled with the game speed. For instance the base cost of lavra ist configured at 50 in this mod. In online game speed the lavra cost 25.
    It is working as expected, as far as I could see

2. Gilgasmash

Gilgasmash Chieftain

Slight oversight: the cost of bath should be half of aqeuduct.
    Also, these costs are, imo, way too low. Districts cost 2x by the time you can build them, and quickly climb to 4x or more. Aqueduct should be 80-100, others 120-150, otherwise your cities won't have anything to do midgame while you wait for neighborhoods, even without abusing chops.

@Brave Sir Robin, the base cost might show 90 on epic, but the actual cost should have scaled when you build it. This is simply how the game works.

3. ichbinsehselber

Setting the bath to 50 and aqueduct to 90 was actually intentional. I did not go by exactly 1.5 cost modifier for each building.
    (Correction: 40 for bath / 60 for aqueduct)
    Yeah, perhaps you are right. (which game speed does your experience / opinion come from?) Though for my taste the district cost should be lower than in vanilla. Depending on feedback by other users this might be changed upward in the next version.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  4. Gilgasmash

Gilgasmash Chieftain

Hmm, in the version I have, the cost of both is 60.
    The thing, I feel like cheaper districts gives a bigger boost to civs with a unique district (since it doesn't count against the city limit), and even bigger to Germany with their limit already higher. I usually play Deity on Standard or Quick, fwiw,

5. ichbinsehselber

6. ichbinsehselber

thanks for reporting this. Updated the cost of bath to 40 in version 0.3. Aqueduct is (still) 60.
    Agree. Unique districts appear to be very good. Slightly less so with this mod. (In vanilla they cost half and in this mod a bit more than half of their base districts)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. Paulytnz

Paulytnz Chieftain

Hi there,

Just downloaded your mod and about to try it out.

However I do have a question. Is there any way you could make it so that the cost progression stays in place for the Campus and Theatre Districts? I was trying to edit my files for this effect and kept running into problems lol. I really just want to leave those 2 alone as they are the important ones that you should need to have a big cost for late game. Everything else is fine imo and should really only be limited to tiles/population etc.

8. ichbinsehselber

@Paulytnz:

to do that you would have to modify my DistrictsScenario_Districts.xml in several ways:

1.) delete the general updates

<Update>
    <Where CostProgressionModel="COST_PROGRESSION_NUM_UNDER_AVG_PLUS_TECH" />
    <Set CostProgressionModel="NO_COST_PROGRESSION" CostProgressionParam1="0" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where CostProgressionModel="COST_PROGRESSION_GAME_PROGRESS" />
    </Update>

2.) delete the entries for theatre and campus

<Update>
    <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_THEATER" />
    <Set Cost="90" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_CAMPUS" />
    <Set Cost="90" />
    </Update>

3.) for each existing district entry in the xml file add another one for the costprogressionmodel.

The xml file will look like this
    <Update>
    <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_HOLY_SITE" />
    <Set Cost="90" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_HOLY_SITE" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_ENCAMPMENT" />
    <Set Cost="90" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_ENCAMPMENT" />
    </Update>

*continue with other districts here*

9. xsr

xsr Chieftain

Hi, thank you for the mod. Just wanted to let other people who are quite ignorant like me yet wish to tweak some stuff. In GlobalParameters.xml, editing using notepad, there is a GAME_COST_ESCALATION, with a value of 1000. Changing the value to say 500 should halve (a) district scaling, and (b) resource harvesting scaling.

[ i.e. I think 1000 means 1000%; e.g. with tech and/or civic tree fully researched, all districts and all harvesting will be x10 their base values? So setting it to 500 would halve it, and setting it to 100 would remove the scaling completely, I think. ]

Of course, this scaling is intrinsically linked to settler and builder cost scaling, which works a different way but can also be tweaked, under Units.xml. [ Perhaps tone down or even remove the extreme district and harvest scaling, and transferring that to a great increase in settler scaling, with the idea that settler scaling already works as a scaling in itself? (e.g. Setting up another campus in a new city is gonna be increasingly more expensive even though the base cost of the district never changes, because the settler cost for new cities is increasing for each new city that you establish? ) ]

Whatever it is, I think the whole system is intrinsically linked together. e.g Constant cost districts in isolation would mean that harvesting that stone will be closer and closer to an insta-build; constant resource harvesting without constant cost builders would make resource harvesting obsolete at some point; etc.

edit: forums.civfanatics.com/threads/district-cost-mechanics-a-very-questionable-design-choice.603675/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

is this compatible with the winter patch?

11. MentalMike

MentalMike Chieftain

what about the buildings inside the districs? are they constant too?

12. ichbinsehselber

This mod does not change the building cost (inside districts) these are constant already in the original