1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

constant lack of strategic resources

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by newbie2, Mar 2, 2018.

1. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

I know this sounds a lot like confirmation bias, but anyone else feels like the game is purposly denying the player strategic resources?

In my current game on emperor, I have ten cities and for the first time triggered since I have the expansion the era score where you have 3 cities more than the next player. They arent clustered together either, on average 3.5 tiles apart.

yet nowhere in my empire do I have a single Iron. Researched Military engineering, and suprise, no Niter anywhere. And this happens in a lot of games

I know you are ment to build encampments to reduce being dependant on multiple copies and become suzerain to acquire the resources, but especially the latter is a very unstable way to get them as the AI constantly flips them. And reducing the cost from 2 to 1 is a start, but doesnt improve your situation when you have 0

Do you guys use any special settings to avoid this? I can understand the scarcity of Uranium, but Iron, seriously?

2. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

You can use Magnus's promotion that lets you build units without the necessary resources.

Sherlock likes this.
  3. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

Which is a start, but doesnt help for upgrading existing ones.

The loyalty system (which I like, don't get me wrong), also makes it less viable to found far flung cities for resource reasons

4. liv

liv Warlord

Only thing other than Magnus or the wonder is war
    It is usually what I end up doing.
    Research bronze working early and then try to figure out what the situation with iron is and plan a war if need be.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

Which wonder?

Nobody uses any start settings different from the default then?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. liv

liv Warlord

Jebel Barkal. It gives two iron. I think AI likes it

7. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

Nah, they are pretty thin on the ground for everyone, player or AI, which is like 9/10th of the cause for the AI's utter laughability in wars, they'll have the tech but not the resources. I've seen entire continents without Iron or Niter and some resources are like 1 or 2 to a whole map. It really skews the balance even more heavily to the civs with UU's that replace the foremost strategic resource units (Rome, Kongo or Arabia)

If a CS has a strategic you can otherwise not acquire you should probably kill it and secure the resource. Otherwise you risk losing suzerainity in the middle of a hot war and therefore losing the ability to heal your units.

LobstaBoy likes this.
  8. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

I've never tested, but I assume the units you build with Magnus can not be healed? Seems like a waste of an ability and hammers...

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Why would you assume that?

10. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

Normally you can not heal a unit if you do not have at least 1 copy of the resources for it, i.e. swordsman can not heal if you don't own iron, horsemen without horses etc.

newbie2 and Unikornus like this.
  11. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Thanks. Good to know.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I can confirm its not confirmation bias. The strategics often get lumped a bit in certain areas and I think this is intentional because what is the point in having strategic resources if you do not get shortages.
    So the key one is Iron, without iron, knights are gone ... and swords. Researching bronze working early has been ignored a bit by optimum players where the games you see online are always with iron. The reality is often you do not get it. What the point in having them if you always have them? The idea is to cope through adversity. I quite like it. Bronze working no iron... OK what do I do now? The answer is its fine just not as fast or you can always trade for the stuff and give the trader a gift just before you go to war so they do not joint war you.

whylom likes this.
  13. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

I can understand for mid- late game resources to be rare. But iron or horses? thats just the game telling "f*** you". I had multiple instances where I had an empire of around 8-10 cities fairly spaced out, but no acces to any strategics. Thats just bad map generation/ design and a frankly stupid layer of artificial difficulty

Its not just for the units, but also the eureka's, which, if you are very unlucky, can cost you 20-30 turns of research because you can not boost it

And again i hear this "just make friends, just trade". The AI is very often unreasonable in its demands (and has a city state bonus), and why would you trade strategic resources away online, as their only purpose is to make troops.

14. Exquisitor1

Exquisitor1 Chieftain

15. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

I get iron often but I go to war early too. I find that's it's pretty rare for me not to get it (I do prioritize bronze working early to find it though). It's not that big a deal if I don't have it then I'll just prioritize horse units. I think Hattusa provides copies of resources that you don't have as a Suz bonus so that's another option as is trading for it. I think there are more than enough ways to get it, but you can also play around with the resource options at the start of the game if it's not to your liking. I think there is an option for plentiful.

16. Spartacus73

Spartacus73 Chieftain

I frequently play on Abundant resource settings and rarely ever have difficulty finding strategic resources. I probably should play on normal more just to throw in more of a variable for not having something, but if you really want to avoid the shortage the option is there.

17. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

I think I might start playing on abundant resources, because this is starting to become infuriating. Once again no iron. Not only no iron in my cities, but not even in all the possible places that there are still to settle. In a time where AI uses their free joint war CB constantly, this is a significant problem

EDIT: oh and in case you wondered, no niter either offcours.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  18. Spartacus73

Spartacus73 Chieftain

What you are describing sounds more like what you would expect on a Scarce setting, which would be fine if you were looking for that kind of challenge. For Normal setting though maybe not so much. Hard to say without seeing your actual maps, but just taking what you are saying at face value.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Well it can be a problem or a challenge depending on attitude

20. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

No offense, but that kind of post doesnt contibute anything. We all know joint wars are broken. An option to freely declare war, but no mirror option to call in friends when you are attacked....

I wouldnt mind if its once or twice in ten games, but like said, its constant. denying gameplay with no good basis is a layer of artificial difficulty that has no added value