Constantine I

His main claims to fame are (1) building Constantinople, (2) legalizing Christianity and requesting the council of Nicaea, and (3) re-uniting the empire after a civil war.

So I would say, more like Spiritual and Organized.

Aggressive and Spiritual. Definitely not Organized...he dismantled Diocletianus' tetrarchia.

That makes him unorganized, how?

And I don't see how he was aggressive. As far as I know, he didn't embark on any new wars.

Well Organized makes sense, but so does Imperialistic concidering the whole reason he was at war was to purge the Empire into 1 again and regain it's power... and that 50% extra settler production sure does match the fact that he founded Constantinople as well as settled Samaritans late in his rule.

I defenitaly wouldn't say agressive. The only thing that comes even remotely close to that was his late campaign to RE-conquer Dacia. That is the only wars I know of once the Roman Civil Wars ended. Agressive is a term more for the conquering "take over the world" warmongers like Alexander, the Nazi's, Montezuma, Ghengis Kahn, and Napolean.

I think Spiritual/Imperialistic would be a good fit for Constantine. I believe Justinian I already has these traits in Civ though.

I only know how this works in Civ III, so I'll go with Religious and Militaristic. Maybe Expansionist, though the only territories he conquered were already part of the Empire.

I only know how this works in Civ III, so I'll go with Religious and Militaristic. Maybe Expansionist, though the only territories he conquered were already part of the Empire.

Just about everything was at some stage :mischief:

That's why a revived Byzantine Empire could clean up Europe so much better than the European Union.

'Vote Autocrat, Ignore Borders!'

Just about everything was at some stage :mischief:

That's why a revived Byzantine Empire could clean up Europe so much better than the European Union.

'Vote Autocrat, Ignore Borders!'
So that's why Turkey is so eager to join!

That makes him unorganized, how?
I'm asking how he was organized. :p
LightSpectra said:
And I don't see how he was aggressive. As far as I know, he didn't embark on any new wars.
Started out with jack, grabbed his father's part of the empire. Invaded Italy, won several battles, some at pretty respectable odds (like Turin, and of course the Pons Milvius). Later, invaded Illyricum twice, defeated Licinius consistently on both land and sea. Eventually carried war over to Asia Minor. Sounds pretty aggressive to me.
so does Imperialistic concidering the whole reason he was at war was to purge the Empire into 1 again and regain it's power... and that 50% extra settler production sure does match the fact that he founded Constantinople as well as settled Samaritans late in his rule.
Also true.
RulerOfDaPeople said:
I defenitaly wouldn't say agressive. The only thing that comes even remotely close to that was his late campaign to RE-conquer Dacia. That is the only wars I know of once the Roman Civil Wars ended. Agressive is a term more for the conquering "take over the world" warmongers like Alexander, the Nazi's, Montezuma, Ghengis Kahn, and Napolean.
He took over the Roman world. :p
I like Religious/Militaristic too. That's kinda why I like Civ III traits better than the CIV ones.

I think Spiritual/Imperialistic would be a good fit for Constantine. I believe Justinian I already has these traits in Civ though.

I'm thinking Justinian might be more fit as Spiritual/Expansionist, and Constantine should be Spiritual/Imperialistic. After all Justinian did have an amazing worker speed rate when he built the Hagia Sophia and did expand the empire greatly in order to try and get it back to the size it was when Constantine was emperor. What do you think? These fit both guys better?

Spiritual or Industrious and Organized.

Constantine I is probably the most influential political leader in the history of the world (or at least the western half of Eurasia), and it's a shame that he has never been as a Roman leader. The real reason is that in the popular imagination today the Romans are a pagan bunch of legion producing republicans, though such an impression was manufactured by renaissance humanists and enlightenment ideologues; before that in the Catholic and Orthodox worlds Rome was the Christian Empire, the realm of Constantine, saints Paul and Peter, and of course Jesus himself. If Civ 4 was made in 14th century France, Poland or Russia, Constantine would have been the leader.

Top Bottom