Constitution Poll - Naming Convention

Constitution Poll - Naming Convention

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
OFFICIAL DISCUSSION: City Naming Convention

City names are determined by the order of the citizen registry
City names are determined by rank, then citizens (by registry date)

MOTH's method

Citizen Registry determines the order. The next 10-15 cities have names proposed at any one time. Whenever the city name list has less then 15 items the next person on the Citizen Registry is informed via PM and a post in the City Name Thread that they can now propose a city name. If they fail to post a City name within 1 week then the next citizen is informed. The citizen is allowed to post a proposed name even after the week goes by, but they are placed at the end of the current proposed list.

Provolution's method

We part the citizen registry into increments of 20 cities, grouped in 4 groups of 5 cities.
We then poll these against each other as a series of five names to be founded.
Then the citizens are free to vote for the series they like the best for the next five cities. In the next phase, we take cities 21-40 and does the same. This will allow all citizens to be eligible for naming a city throughout the game. The people can also call in motions to rename cities with a 60 % majority. This opens for removing freeriders and gross misconduct players epitaph from the city naming. When this polled is once called and a new name placed, the city can never be renamed again.

Ravensfire's method

as we create cities, we open up nominations for the city name. Everyone votes. Once your suggestions for a city name is used, you can't suggest any further names. We maintain a list (in one post) of the city names, and who suggested them.

Must be that time of year again. CT and I agree on something! :D

There's such thing as too much democracy, folks. While the first few times could be interesting, the process of voting for city names will grow tired quickly when done for the 38th time. We have a hard enough time polling policy and decisions without enduring this tedium.

Better to have a system in place that can reward those who drive the early game, as well as those who join late and contribute. And eventually, almost everyone will still get to name a city. It just won't be based on a random entries to the Registry --- there should be a system in place.

Vote Option B, then vote for me to run the Office! :D

Donovan Zoi said:

There's such thing as too much democracy, folks. While the first few times could be interesting, the process of voting for city names will grow tired quickly when done for the 38th time. We have a hard enough time polling policy and decisions without enduring this tedium.

Better to have a system in place that can reward those who drive the early game, as well as those who join late and contribute. And eventually, almost everyone will still get to name a city. It just won't be based on a random entries to the Registry --- there should be a system in place.

Vote Option B, then vote for me to run the Office! :D
which is option b ? :lol:
Im gonna wait for a few aruguments b4 i vote

Black_Hole said:
which is option b ? :lol:
Im gonna wait for a few aruguments b4 i vote

Um....the second one down? :mischief: It just sounded nicer than saying "vote for City names are determined by rank, then citizens (by registry date)!"

Donovan Zoi said:
Um....the second one down? :mischief: It just sounded nicer than saying "vote for City names are determined by rank, then citizens (by registry date)!"
sorry dont know my alphabet yet ;)
But i am going to have to agree with you after seeing how it went this DG...

Option A, people who have been here longer should get more, as they are more experienced, and it should ALWAYS be approved by the general populace.

thescaryworker said:
Option A, people who have been here longer should get more, as they are more experienced, and it should ALWAYS be approved by the general populace.
actually that doesnt mean they are here longer, it just means they were online when a mod posted the citizen registry... like this dg i was gone on vacation for a whole week so i came back finding out the game was forcefully started and got on like page 5 of the registry even though newbies were far ahead of me

Donovan Zoi said:

:eek: *checks her tempurature*

I'm abstaining. I know that city names are important to a lot of people, but it's not a major issue with me. Or as Rhett Butler said to Scarlet O'Hara: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

I do not like the labeling of methods by names of presenters. I would prefer the nature of method reflect in the name. Such as "All Term Segment Method"

Public polling on the constitution? That's as bad as public election polling...

classical_hero said:
Option two is by far the worst option to take. It gives too much power to the few.

It is the only practical method. Every other option shown here is either some form of lottery or very time-consuming (or both!). The lottery (any system based on the order of posts in the CR) would be an embarrassing way to run a nation.

:hatsoff: Step right up, folks! Get your ticket for a chance to name one of our nation's great cities!

Take a chance and dream, kiddo. In $COUNTRY_NAME, your name could be in lights just for being in the right place at the right time!

No, DZ. I still believe it's elitist. ch is right. Option two is just a way for the favored in the game to get their names on cities first. :p

I understand your point, Cyc. I also remember that my main contribution to DG4 was naming the second city (Vandelay) via being the first poster in the CR, and then heading off to the ISDG. So there is elitism in waiting to be the first in line for the new forum to open as well. Or opening the forum yourself, as was my case! ;)

I just really feel that there has to be some kind of pre-determined system in place. I also feel that basing our upcoming city name choice on a poll that may or may not happen(once that system becomes old hat) is just asking for trouble. Cities should be listed in some type of order ready-to-go, to be referenced by the DP during the gameplay session. And I can't think of a system that makes more sense than allowing those rights to go to those who contribute the most by running for office.

We can revamp the Citizens Honors program to reward those contribute but choose not to run for office. A successful inductee could be awarded the naming rights to the city next-in-queue.

cyc i believe it is fairer to do it that way than by the people that post in a topic first... I was against this earlier but after thinking about it awhile its much fairier to have office holders get city names first, then citizens

This is the very first time i have taken part but i chose the first option because people who register first should be able to pick first.

Well, it doesn't really matter. The person who has probably been President the most times made this poll with too many options, therfore allowing the vote to be splintered. So what the hell.

You will notice that the people that run for and obtain high ranking offices are the ones that are telling the average citizens that this is good plan for them. And just like Americans believing Bush, those citizens vote for it.

If it had too few options, you'd be crying foul that it doesn't contain every input of the WOTP. :)

or we could have discussed the options before posting a poll and closing all discussions... unfortunately we have to start on a deadline...

Top Bottom