1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

"Contact the Senate.....tell them we have engaged the Borg."

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by CornMaster, Jan 6, 2002.

1. CornMaster

CornMaster Romulan Commander Retired Moderator

Another BOTF post.

Well...after playing this game for about 3 years...I have finally battled the Borg. And I must say.....all the doomsday stories I heard were very dishearting.

For example.....one player took 50 Federation Starships and set most of them to Ram....(as that does the most damage)....they just barely destroyed the cube...and limped away with a few ships..

So naturally....I wasn't too enthustasic about fighting them.

Let me set the stage....after a few non-agression treaties with the Ferengi and the Klingons all my ships had been moved to my Starbase orbiting Mintaka. 28 Starships I believe....over the course of a few turns. So...I decided to put an end to my ongoing war with Cardassia. And sent all ships to orbit Cardassia and begin Plantary bombardment. I intended to bombard the planet until no life remained. Unfortuntally the Romulan Star Empire has encured massive debt....due to the betrayl of my allies some 150 turns before, and our massive Navy. So I've been unable to construct new ships or buildings. Thus I can not risk trying to capture the planet.

However...enroute to Cardassia we picked up a distress call from a Cardassian Colony...the Borg were attacking and had killed over 200 million Cardassians already.....thus we directed our fleet to intercept. (If the Borg were to capture the colony...another Cube would be constructed.) Although our enemy would be destroyed.....a greater enemy would be born. And the Borg threat had to be addressed.

Thus I have included some screenshots of this historic battle.

Attached Files:

2. Ohwell

Ohwell Chieftain

Well, I don't have this game, but the story is making me very anxious to find out
    about the borg! It reminds me of Starcraft, where the Terrans and Protoss try
    to end the zerg! What is this game called? Battles of the Federation? Gotta get it:D
    Good storyline so far...

3. CornMaster

And of course....the battle.

You will see Romulan Ships Decloak, fire disruptors, followed by plasma torpedos....

Attached Files:

4. CornMaster

BOTF stands for Birth of the Federation. Where you play as one of the 5 civilizations in the Alpha Quadrant. Either Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, or Cardassians.

There are many features that are like Civ...and many more features....battles are fought in space "zoomed in" ship to ship combat, minor races with unique abilities, random events....like Borg attacks and Crystaline Entity, Subspace distruptions, etc... A lot of the things that Civ was missing showed up in this game. Also written by Microprose.

Unfortunatally....it early bugs were never fixed to great satisfaction...and slow down bugs, memory leaks, and intermettent crashes can cause fustration. But talk to Palehorse....he will tell you that the pro's outweight the cons. He was recently introduced to the game...

5. CornMaster

Here is a better animated .gif.

However....it was slightly too big to post....thus I zipped it up. For anyone that is interested.

6. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

Good job CornMaster. The borg doesn't seem all the hard now. According to the FAQ I have they have 6100 Shields and 735 Hull.
    I like the animated gif, and the second is way better.

7. CornMaster

8. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

The borg is not hard to kill later in the game, especially if you start on advanced since you don't need loads of ships to kill it. The problem of the borg is really when they come too early or they appear on the other side of the universe and you have no way of reaching them...

9. CornMaster

So....up for a game. :)

10. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Oooo a challenge. My problem would be that it could take along time to complete and I would probably lose because the computer loses too easily. The main problem would be arranging it though. My hotmail address in Dell19_UG@hotmail.com if you want to try but I make no promises.

11. CornMaster

Do you have MSN, ICQ, or AIM?

Me and PaleHorse play about 2-3 hours a day.....usually late at night (EST) time.

And that was a friendly challenge. :)

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

That was my MSN name that I posted. My ICQ number is 103112480.

13. damunzy

I added you Dell, you just have to allow me.
    If anyone wants to add me my numbers/names are:
    AIM: PaleHorse76
    MSN: junk467@hotmail.com
    Yahoo!: PaleHorse76

I am a BOTF newbie so take it easy on me. Plus I just play for fun, so whether I lose or now makes no difference. Broodwar on the other hand. ;)

14. damunzy

Here is a screenshot of the PowerGraph in CornMaster and my most recent BOTF game. Notice me, the UFP (United Federation of Planets) is beating the tails off of everyone else. Look at the poor interpretation of mighty CornMaster the RSE (Romulan Star Empire). The computer just doesn't recongize his mighty power.

going to try to sneak this in since CM keeps deleting my posts. yes! The PG is all! Behold the Power of Pale! or is that cheese? Anyway, spank my monkey Romulan boy! Cheesie as arse built in cloak cheat.

15. CornMaster

*Cough*

You may have more systems...but who has more Dilithum?
    Who is kicking the Cardassians ass? Destroyed 3 outposts, 2 star systems, and 5-6 starships.
    Who has faster research?
    And of course....who has cloak? ;)

But all in all....we have both played a good game thus far. To go with my successful war against the Cardassians, was an early campagin against the Klingons which drove them out of the south and toward the north of the map (UFP/FA). And a successful conquering of the Pakleds (Who's special building gives 100 more research. :)) has also helped my production.

Edit: Don't believe that morale crack above....all my systems have 120+ morale....only Pakled has below 100. And thats still in the 60's (How would you fell if you had been conquered by the Romulans. ;)

Edit 2: Palehorse keeps editing his post....to make me look like I'm crazy.....I'm just tired....so anyway...I going to bed. And disregard ANYTHING PH says. ;) Except the Powergraph of course....it's valid.

16. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Next time you start a game I would quite like to join although I always thought that the Romulans would have an unfair advantage in MP games. They don't do well in the single player game because they usually end in in the middle of the map and the computer tends to attack the Romulans first. So I find it easiest to win with the Federation on a beginning game but I like to use the Klingons or the Cardassians on an Advanced game. Klingons because they have a nice cloaked ship and the Cardassians for their intelligence department...

17. CornMaster

The Romulan cloak is an excellent advantage...but remember...the Romulans have some of the weakest stips in the quadrant.

With an overall lower sheild and hull armor then all other races, and weapons that are mid range. (Federation has better shields while Cardassians have stronger hulls) If the Romulans don't kill in the first attack.....then it's likely they will lose a few ships before the battle is finished.

Also...I rarely fight in a 1 on 1 fight. Where the numbers are equal. Romulans can't win those fights too well either. Always try and have 1.2 to 2 times more ships then anyone I attack.

And example would be when I too a cloak scout and fought a Klingon Troop Transport. As we know Klingon TT's gave weapons. It got me down to about 10 shields (from 80) before I finally destroyed it!!!

Anyway.....the reason I choose the Romulans are 3 fold:
    1) Good Cloak
    2) Singularity Plant (Comes in handy when short on Dilithum)
    3) Strong security. (Internal)

18. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

The Klingons would be great since their ships have better weapons and their battle cruiser can cloak except their intelligence is very bad. I have had several single player games before where I kept on throwing troops at the Romulans so that I could quickly stop them from using their intelligence. They took over one of my battle cruisers and destroyed alot of my improvements but I managed to take over their three best planets and then they were dead. :D

I find that it depends on what level you start on alot. The cardassians are probably the weakest race with beginning tech because they tend to struggle to get minor races to join them yet they are good at higher tech levels because then they can use their military might. The federation are the best race overall since they are good at early expansion and always have strong ships. The Ferengi do well early on but on an advanced tech game their homeworlds population is too low to power all its unique buildings and be able to construct ships quickly.

I have noticed how bad the Romulans are when they are outnumbered especially when they have to fight on two fronts and that is why I do not like them. The best moments are always when it looks like you will lose but then with a few major victories the tide turns in your favour.

19. damunzy

I must say that I am jealous of the Romulan cloaking technology and would play them if CornMaster didn't already claim them. I started out with the Cardassians in a level 1 game b/c I thought they had cloaking. Boy was I wrong. I played them for a few games without much luck (both MP and SP). I just converted over to the Feds and have been enjoying great success with them. I have altered my strategy somewhat from what I was doing with the Cardassians (I was continually altering it with them, testing out the game) and I think I have one that is pretty sound. NOw I just have to continue making good decisions when it comes to diplomacy and technologic advances. Just found out this game that different races have different needs for new ship types. That was a pain to find out. I also found a bug in the game where I got 2 free outposts. I haven't been able to redo the yet as we have continued on with the game and I don't want to monkey around but it may just be something that the game allows you to do when you gain the ability to make Outpost IIs.

20. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

A bug that I found was when you make contacts with minor races. If another empire finds a minor race first and then they become subjugated by the major race, then you sign a treaty that shows all their planets. This causes you to be able to liberate the minor races system later in the game but you still will not be able to talk to them, even if you wipe out the major race that once subjugated them...