Content Laborer (A Barbarian Chiefdom) - Not a modded game

Buttercup

King
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Interesting Screenshots thread or to make a new thread. This seems to ring a bell from somewhere but I can't quite think where, or if this is something I've never seen before. Either way, I'm certainly not entirely sure what caused this to appear in my completely unmodded game of Civ3 Complete:

I conquered a Mayan city which had previously been conquered by the Egyptions. The three Citizens consist of: One Egyptian, one Mayan and one Barbarian Chiefdom.

The only thing I can think of is that the Mayan special unit defeated a Barbarian unit and produced a Worker, which they then added to a city and that this guy has somehow survived all the way to 1630AD. I guess it's because I don't play the Maya very much, but I guess some people are very familiar with this? If not, here's a screeny of it. I love games where you think you know everything and then something new to you pops up out the blue.

Does the Barbarian citizen get angry when you kill Barbarians? ! lol ;)

Does the Barbarian citizen get angry when you kill Barbarians? ! lol ;)

It is discontent while you are at war with the barbarians which is always the case as you cannot sign a peace treaty. In this spefic case the discontent is concealed by the ample amount of luxuries. But add a few more citizens and once you have at least one discontent citizen, the mouseover will tell you about the discount due to war against home civilization.

Could be the reason for that is, that I usually look at AI towns only in the early stages of the game: I try to establish embassies as early as possible, and I do all my warfare in the early stages. In the later stages (i.e. in a UN or space game) I stay friendly with the remaining AIs in order to get their vote or to harvest their techs/gold/luxuries. So the time I get to see an AI city might be so early that the AI did not yet have time to a) obtain a foreign worker and b) join it to one of its towns/cities.

Having thought about it, wasn't there a guy once who tried to make a town completely Barbarian, just for the curiosity.

I do all my warfare in the early stages.

You clearly don't play max water huge archipelagos much :p

(although having said that, the designer's idea of an archipelgo can still sometimes create landmasses that equate to 40% of the world's land :rolleyes: )

You clearly don't play max water huge archipelagos much :p

That's true. For the last couple of years I only played the GOTMs, no spare time for a "private" game... And the GOTMs are usually standard size. (But there are a few archipelagos, even such, where the human player starts on Gilligan's Island and is isolated for the early part of the game.)

That's true. For the last couple of years I only played the GOTMs, no spare time for a "private" game... And the GOTMs are usually standard size. (But there are a few archipelagos, even such, where the human player starts on Gilligan's Island and is isolated for the early part of the game.)

On a Huge map its still really quite hard to start on Gilligan's island and combine it with a half decent starting position. Some might say infuriating. When you do finally get a combo like this its a similar feeling to opening a loot box and getting some rare item. Its really disappointing how more thought wasn't put into Archipelago designs across a whole raft of issues. You can try to mitigate island cramp by reducing the amount opponents, to which 16 is quite always cramped, but go too low, to say 8, and you're just gifting an AI the gigantic islands and possibly making the settling phase too long and laborious even for yourself if you get a gigantic one. It boils down to Pangaea being 1 main land mass, Continents being 2 and Archipelagos 3 or 4. You will 99.999% never find a map that is actually just a huge network of scattered islands most of which are greatly isolated from each other. Again, finding a game where building the Great Lighthouse early actually provides a decent advantage is like opening a loot box and finding a rare item.

Top Bottom