Continent Landing Strategy: Virtual Bridge

Huanie

Chieftain
Hi fellow fanatics!

I have found this tactic to be kinda interesting, not sure if it is designed to be like this, but since it's there for now we might as well know it and understand what this means.

I was playing Japanese on Huge map, pangea, Emperor level difficulty. Although it was pangea, the world was basically 3 continents. Once I was done conquering my continent, I need to move onto a different one to expand my sphere of influence (I was hoping for a conq victory).

For a single landing campaign I built around 8 galleons and transported my troops over...but supply of new troops is always in need, as the enemy had railroad and constant wave (I am talking 80+ calvaries) hitting my lone town there.

Now here is the trick. It seems that the command "Load" does not count as an movement. Note that you can get into a transport by "walk" into it, or be loaded into it. When you "walk" into it, you will use up all your movement, and that will be it for that turn. But if you are "loaded" into it, then you reserve your movement. So I will have a transport/galleon in my harbor city, my units get there in 0 turns (railroad), and be loaded into it so they maintain their mv. Now, you move the transport/galleon out, it moves 4 spaces (5 for transport, +1 if you've got any sea wonder), so 4 spaces away you put another galleon with fresh mv. Once it gets there, 2 transports overlap, you 'wake' all the units on transport 1, then load them again into transport 2. Once again, no mv used. This way, there is a virtual bridge and when they finally arrive at the other side, they are ready to be used as new units from that city! Not sure if it's supposed to work like that, but in a war with enemy far far away, this is very helpful.

Huanie

I never had Civ II, but remembered that there was something like this in Civ I and CivNet. I just couldn't reproduce it in Civ III.

As I recall, in Civ I the mid-ocean transfer to the next ship in line was automatic. What I hadn't figured out was that in Civ III you needed to wake the transportees, wake the next ship to carry them, and then load the transportees onto the next ship.

Now, if you have enough ships to create an chain, you've got a bridge -- a little tedious to make it work, but worth the time and effort.

Given that we've got the capability, Firaxis ought to give us a way to automate it.

Great strategy, but I don't know if I could stand doing all that work!! :goodjob:

Nah, Firaxis should fix it so we can't do this. It's a human cheat. Let the AI cheat, but not the human.

"Nah, Firaxis should fix it so we can't do this. It's a human cheat. Let the AI cheat, but not the human."

Agreed. It is rediculous to have ship chaining back again in Civ3. Remember how civ2 mp always ended up in a howitzer-engineer railroad blitz? Well if this isnt fixed when civ3 mp comes out, then the games will be decided instead by infinite-transport blitzes to someone's home continuent. Is this really the kind of "strategies" that firaxis intended us to use? I sure hope not.

Loading and unloading should each cost 1 move point, with a maximum of one load and one unload per turn.

I compelety agree Simwiz2. They could just make in impossible to unload in ocean squares. HOwever the problem would be you couldnt transfer ship to ship.

Since airlift is infinite now, it's way easier to rush an airport.
Or did they fix it in the patch?
Usually I use neither of those, I just calculate how many troops I need and land them all at once.

Good find Huanie. I think I will use that tip myself until Firaxis fixes it. And I think they should fix it b/c it is a cheat but damn right I am going to use it!

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I found that one out, too but was to narrowly focused on my tactical situation to draw the conclusion that it would work several times in a row in one turn....:crazyeyes

Actually I kinda miss the Engineer-Howitzer-Blitz! After all, I`m German :D

And it seems the AI learned to you war wearniess against you - they keep me at war even though they loose because it might get a different AI ahead technologically. I`d love to be able to drive over them like in CivII ;)

Top Bottom