Continental Security

Ansar

Détente avec l'été
When you guys play on continents and there end up being 2 continents, when do you guys launch your attack? :confused:

I usually do like bingen, clear my continent and go for SS, but I always keep a large military at the ready. In addition to bombers at key coastal points, I usually have 3 or 4 aircraft carriers all filled with bombers and ready to go, plus transports for my other units if the other AIs won't let me build in peace. I'm also prepared to go on the offense if I'm missing a resource for the SS. If you're asking what year, usually around 1700 to 1850.

Steve2000 is right about the LOTS of bombers. :D

Artillery and infantry. Just dump a big stack in their territory, they'll throw all their cavalry, medieval infantry and longbows at you, but it won't matter.

Bah bloody thy sword or does thou require such large toys to wage war. :lol:

Once I get into my first war, I usually dont stop fighting. So by the time I get threw all of my contient, I am getting Galleons, launch twenty or so filled with Calvary and take thy enemies capital and with it, his head.

AnsarKing101 said:
When you guys play on continents and there end up being 2 continents, when do you guys launch your attack? :confused:

As soon as i can :evil:

If you want to know how, then you need to have a good war fleet. Lots of galleons to disembark the initial stack of troops. Then, you put those ships on a shipchain to ensure continue reinforcements from the mainland. It's not a bad idea to include in the initial stack a settler and a pair of obsolete units to be disbanded for shields, so you can raze a pair of cities and build a city of yours to act as a beachead for the invasion. Also, be sure to have some spare money to rush ASAP a harbor (resources, luxuries), a barracks (fast healing) and a temple (cultural pressure safety) into your beachead city.

The fact that the city must be coastal should be evident from the context - how can you build a harbor in an inland city? But for better clarity: yes, it must be coastal, or else the whole shipchain and supply thing wouldn't work. About the hill, i tend to prefer a strategic position, being it on hill or not, but if it's also on hill it's better.

I usually clear my continent fairly quickly on Emperor and below (Before knights), once on DG as well. I usually take theirs with Cavalry and other things, usually my ol' armies

Uh, an add-on. If you already know Steam Power (and have coal) consider sending with the shipchain a few workers to railroad your new acquisitions.

When the AI start using ICBM and my land is no longer real "Safe", I know it is time to destroy the human races and launch the attack

bingen said:
I usually do not bother to. I just secure my continent and launch a spaceship.

Agreed, I find it difficult to launch an attack against another continent, everyone once in a while I'll do it though.

Maybe I should have made my question more clearly.

I meant when do you take over YOUR own continent.

AnsarKing101 said:
Maybe I should have made my question more clearly.

I meant when do you take over YOUR own continent.
Ah, that's different. Usually not until I have knights (or their equivalent) or maybe wait for Cavs. It also depends on who my neighbor(s) are. If I have the Vikings next door, I'll be sure to go after them before they get Invention and Berserks. If it's a civ with an early UU, I'll try to wait until their UU is obsolete.

At the very latest, if I'm trying to build the SS and my neighbors have all the aluminum or uranium, that may be when I decide to attack. Seems like there's always at least one resource missing.

As soon as possible, though I do like to use civs with an early UU, especially Carthage. If I'm not a civ with an early UU I try to secure some ivory and go for the temple of zeus, nothing like free units =P

Have to agree with you gmaharriet. I got in a war with my neighbor, Joan of Fart(copywright from Theodora's AWS) , just for rubber. Glad she diddnt have Replaceable Parts yet. :)

Top Bottom