1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Continents have begun to appeal to me

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by FenrysWulf, Jun 4, 2003.

1. FenrysWulf

FenrysWulf Evil Norse Wolf

I always play on archipelago because the computer spawns like crazy and sends out settlers way too quickly, and I want to be left alone to develop at the beginning of the game. Then I set out to conquer the rest of the world when I'm ready.
    A few days ago, I decided to try a game on continents, and I was really surprised at how satisfying it has been. Although I selected the small continents option (on a huge map) I am on an uber-continent with originally 11 civs I believe. I wiped out the civs on one side of me so that I don't have to defend that border, but then one day I was minding my own business when one of my other neighbors declared war on me. That's fine and I was ready for them, but soon they got more and more of my neighbors in on the act too. Pretty soon I was at war with 11 nations, seven of which were on my continent. Although I may have been at war with 11 nations before, they were always on separate continents and didn't really do anything, but this time they are all trying to take a piece out of me. I have to say this is the most difficult and intense game I've played in awhile. My borders are so big and I have so many potential enemies. It's a very satisfying game, and I think I'll try this a lot more in the future.

2. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

You should try pangaea! In that type of map wars are often even more complicated. Like 4 on 4 or 5 on 5, or 15 AIs against you... ;)

3. Aggie

Aggie Deity

Obviously pangeae is the type of map for a warmonger game :) AI can't handle war on another continent well enough.

4. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

That would be the understatement of the year! The AI can't handle war on another continent at all.... :)

5. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea, Pangaea.

:)

"The AI can't handle war on another continent at all.... "

Yeah, they'll send a boat with two units on it, drop em off in your territory, and with the same boat, travel all the way home again to get two more units :lol:

6. R3dKnight

R3dKnight Warlord

well that's until they discover bigger transport that is. yeah i found continents game are a bit tough since establishing contacts thru sea travels bores me. (ok ok so i'm lazy) but i like the isolation too.

7. FenrysWulf

FenrysWulf Evil Norse Wolf

I think pangaea might be too much war for me. I need a respite once in awhile to build factories and stock exchanges and so forth, and I'm not very good at peace, so if I have neighbors they are usually at war with me. I refuse to make concessions either, so if I'm at war I insist on winning it. For that reason, I'll probably just stick to continents. I agree thought that the computer can't fight wars overseas. Their hearts don't seem to be into it.

8. Ville

Ville Deity

Pangaea is the best
    BUT in our SG: BoG2, Persians landed about 8 troops per turn to our territory, but they were killed by artillery and Panzers:lol:

9. Mercenary Gen.

Mercenary Gen. Chieftain

Pangea for me

10. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

i like archapalgeo but huge pangea maps with 15 opponants is always fun........... if your winning.....

11. Hellfire

Hellfire Prince

Archipellagos have the advantage of isolating everyone, making it hard to communicate and wage war early on. They also slow the tech race and continents that are closer together get advantages. Trading techs with other civs is crucial at higher levels.

And what's worse is that the Sistine Chapel, Sun Tzu's art of War, and pyramids don't work across the sea, only on your current continent!!

Pangeas are easier wage war on but you have to be a good diplomat. Otherwise everyone gets in contact with everyone else and its over quickly for you because you fall behind.

I like continents because I get a number of the civs on my continent, but not all of them. This way the civs don't go hog wild trading techs until I get way ahead of them. Plus it doesn't make sea power completely useless, you still have to have a navy to work with.

12. CellarDweller22

CellarDweller22 Alive And Kickin'

RANDOM!!

That way, you can't shape a strategy based on land mass that you haven't discovered yet.... :rolleyes: ;)

-- From The Cellar :cooool: