1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Continents

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by demidyad, Aug 3, 2016.

1. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

I did some investigating into continents by skipping to random parts of the Polygon vid and checking the tooltip. If one were to spend a bit more time going through it you could probably map out the continents exactly, but I have to say I can see this being very unclear and confusing in-game :think:

Spoiler :

Imagine getting a combat bonus on one tile but not the text tile over? The 'borders' seem fairly arbitrary.

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

3. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

Pretty sure we'll also be getting a Continents Lenses, which will color code the tiles on the map according to their continent. Using that it will be easy to identify where continents' borders are. :)

4. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

Fair point but it still seems kind of arbitrary, no?

5. BornInTheLoo

BornInTheLoo Warlord

Aren't real life continents quite arbitrary? Ural mountains the border... uhm.. well, if you say so!

6. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

These seem even more arbitrary and quite smaller than I would have expected.

7. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

I'm guessing this was on a tiny pangaea map for the playtest and maybe there's always 7 continents on the map regardless of size, or something like that. But I would hope that on a large terra map the continents would make a bit more sense, being separated by seas and mountain ranges, like in the real world!

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

As noted before, the Ural Mountains are an arbitrary boundary between Europe and Asia. And India is demonstrably on its own continent and has the world's biggest mountains as a barrier, but is still considered part of Asia. Let's not get hung up on this. It's a game, not a plate tectonics simulator.

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

However, mountains and seas are good to have as the borders between continents, because those are barriers to movement, and easily recognizable on the map.

10. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Warlord

Now I want a plate tectonics simulator.

11. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

I think you guys are using "arbitrary" a little differently.

From a historical perspective, those are somewhat arbitrary borders (although I think there is some debate there).

The complaint is that the current borders are arbitrary from a design perspective. It would have been nice for them to simulate the historical continental divides using rivers and mountains. But it could be that such a technological feat was too much given the production constraints for Civ VI.

Edit: My complaint so far is that it seems like it could be tedious to keep track of; and I don't want to leave a lens on constantly. Fortunately it's usually only 2 things we'll have to keep track of (hopefully), our starting continent and "everything else".

12. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

That's why I use the PerfectWorld map script, it's exactly that :goodjob:

But as Big J Money says, I'm talking about arbitrary from a game design perspective. I was imagining that things like Elizabeth's bonus for settling a city on a new continent meant either travelling across the sea, or crossing a mountain range. I didn't imagine it would be the choice between settling the city on a grassland tile 6 hexes from your capital, or the desert tile next to it.

13. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Warlord

Its of course one more UI element on a already full UI, but it would be nice if there was some sort of border designation even with the lens. Even if it was just a thicker black line on the hexes.

14. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

Ok something is definitely up with the continents, this can't be the final code.

Spoiler :

Laurentia is both north and south of another continent, Antarctica. At this point I'll just accept that the continent code isn't finished yet and they have some haphazard placeholder system ;)

15. gfeier

gfeier King

Ed said something about one continent for every two civs in the livestream. I sure hope this isn't the case for large maps with a lot of civs.

16. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

You're looking at tiles on a board, these overlaps are going to occur.

Spoiler :

Oh look. Asia is both north and south of europe.

But wait! if you go slightly north, then Europe is both north and south of Asia! :rolleyes:

17. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

You're assuming they're connected. I hope you're right though.

18. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

Thanks Mr. Smart Man for enlightening me and then rolling your eyes at me but if you watch the video you'll see there's an ocean in the way. In the spirit of Civ6's cartography theme I made a hand drawn map

Spoiler :

19. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Same issue in the Firaxis livestream today. Pangaea to the northwest, Mu in the middle, and few tiles south is Pangaea again. In the Firaxis stream, they might be connected but it still seemed really weird to me. I really want to see this continent lens at this point to see what these continents actually look like. I'm also curious if this is a Pangaea issue or on a continents map, will we have one landmass be A and B, another C, and another B, C, and D. If there are 3 continents, one should be A, one should be B, and the third should be C and D. The same continent shouldn't exist on separate landmasses. But we'll see.

20. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Your map is wrong. Laurentia runs along the western coastline.

I'm really not.

Spoiler :

Those 4 circles are all tiles that are confirmed Laurentia. The arrows represent other areas that have been seen to be Laurentia. With the location of those four circles there's virtually nothing to suggest that Laurentia doesn't extend north to south along the western portion of the supercontinent. In fact, if anyone is making an assumption, it's the OP that just assumes Antarctica extends to the coast, bisecting Laurentia for no apparent reason.

To put it in simplers terms, Rio is literally founded on the border of Laurentia and Antarctica.

Edit:
    For a more cluttered example; Blue = Laurentia. Orange = Antarctica. Yellow = Zealandia. Purple = Pannotia
    Spoiler :

Rio was founded in Antarctica, but many of it's western/southwestern tiles are in Laurentia; while the city center is in Antarctica, the campus and The Pyramids end up in Laurentia. So, to Address the OP's initial concern; Yes, it seems entirely possible that if this civ were instead, say, America, then it's continental combat bonus would not apply to the defense of Rio's western territory, as it lies on a different continent.