1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Continuing the switch: How well does wine work with these games?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Macha, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Macha

Macha King

For the last few months, the majority of my computer use has been on Linux. So, I'm looking into moving more of my stuff onto Linux, as it's a PITA to reboot into Windows for certain tasks.

So how well do the following games work in Linux compared to Windows, for anyone who has used them with wine? (some of them are listed as working on the wine website, but that doesn't really distinguish between performing decently, and merely running).

Civ III & 4
    Team Fortress 2
    Unreal Tournament 3

Also, it's a PITA to redownload all my patches again from Steam (and in the case of UT3, the whole game), so is there any way to copy my windows installation to wine?

2. taper

taper Meet Tux

I run CivIV under Ubuntu 8.04 with no problems at all. I haven't tried the others listed, but I know Padma has instructions for CivIII in Technical Support. I've had to do quite a bit of tweaking for certain games, some work straight out of the box, but I'm very impressed with Wine. If a game is rated higher bronze or higher on winehq, it will most likely work on any modern Linux distro, but it might take a little work.

3. zenspiderz

zenspiderz Just some bloke..

If you can't get a windows program to work in wine you can use virtual box to host an actual windows installation on your linux os. The virtual box is a bit more resource hungry a solution that wine but it is simpler to configure and will definetly work (well assuming the program actually works in windows.)

Using wine and virtual box you can run any windows program without the need to reboot to a seperate windows install.

4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Except I don't think virtual machines run DirectX too well, so the super 3D games may not work so well.

5. Macha

Macha King

This.

6. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

You're lucky if the virtual machine can do any sort of 3D acceleration. Wine too is great, but there are issues. Your best bet for being able to play all games is to simply have a second partition with Windows, its the easiest, most painless method of doing this.

7. Padma

Padma the Absent Admin Administrator Supporter

QFT.

I'm a Linux user, and don't use Windows except when I'm paid to (i.e., at work). But even I have to admit that if you want to play Windows-based games, you need to have Windows installed.