Continuous Revolutions

sable_twilight

Chieftain
Playing latest version of me mod, at chieftain level with a total of 5 cities, early game, and I keep getting continuous revolutions.

I get the message about the people wanting to replace me as leader, I decline (because I do not care for the way the computer runs my civ into the ground, killing off units that I have been nursing up the levels). My cities go into riot, and I go and deal with the rebels that crop up. I end up putting most or all of them down within a few turns, and then wait for my cities to calm down. The very turn they do, I get another revolution message, which I decline, and the process happens all over again.

I have lost track of the number of times this cycle has repeated itself at this point. At least a dozen times (yes, with much reloading on my part). At what point will this calm down? Will it ever? Shouldn't revolutions - if you accept the demands or not - act as some form of release value, resetting the revolution counters of the cities that remain in control?

And where the heck to the revolutionaries get resources to crank out 4 sets of armies ever 2 to 7 turns?

The cycle will continue, basically, until you do something to address the problems. Why are the cities revolting?

Non-state religions? Then get your state religion in there.

Culture pressed? If so, then those cities are probably a lost cause, but you can try building culture in those cities, as they won't be able to build anything else productive until they are stable again.

Or are the cities too distant? Well, the only way to address that is to progress up the tech tree (if I recall correctly, techs like currency, code of laws, astronomy, railroad, etc. help reduce the distance penalty), build stuff like courthouses and lighthouses in the cities, etc.

If it's financial trouble, then, well, maybe you can fix that in the short term, and maybe you can't (especially with all of your cities revolting).

You might just have to accept some of the demands. You'll get more out of your civ with the computer running it than with your cities consantly revolting. And then after the cities have had a few rounds with being run by the computer, they might have quieted down.

That's what I had to do in my current game as Mansa Musa. In the early game I had to turn over my empire to the AI 2 times for 16 turns each. But after I got my empire back in my control after the 2nd time, my cities were all pretty stable again, and I haven't had any problems since. Now I'm in 1st place in score and cruising to a victory.

In general, only reject demands if you have the prospect of addressing the unrest otherwise in the short term (completing a wonder, conquering a city, getting a key tech or religion, etc.) Otherwise, it often makes the most sense to just accept the demands, as the cities will become nothing but a drag anyways if they get into a cycle of perpetual revolt.

Hey, on the bright side, the AI has to deal with the same thing, at least. (Check out the game in my signature, where I show AI Rome getting itself into the mother-of-all-revolutions).

Or are the cities too distant? Well, the only way to address that is to progress up the tech tree (if I recall correctly, techs like currency, code of laws, astronomy, railroad, etc. help reduce the distance penalty), build stuff like courthouses and lighthouses in the cities, etc.

Is there any manual with those things, I mean exactly which technologies or buildings in the city help to reduce the distance penalty?

Top Bottom