Conversations: Who's here, Who's not.

Any time I feel like taking a leave from this forum I just need to peep off the mods which is like next to a breathing for me. Also its easier done while keeping the "infraction score" at high level and as long as Trump remains the potus. Luckily enough I cant say I expect any trouble on those fronts for years to come...

I wouldn't say that. I'd say that most of us recognize that we might have one or two "pet" positions that maybe differentiate us, but that the bulk of our positions are fairly standard.
I'm pretty skeptical of all systems of thinking. Probably stems from a mother who was both dogmatic & gullible and spending over 2 years of my adolescence incarcerated in a cult-like boarding school. I can't read a book, post or article without seeing flaws in it. To me, most "systems of thinking" (whether philosophical or political) seem to be mostly a way to avoid thinking and just a way to copy/paste generalizations onto whatever situation one hears about/experiences.

Growing up in many weird environments also showed me how variable "normal" is. Daily I try to reflect on the absurdities of life & culture. Not that I idealize any other culture or time. I marvel actually at how functional our world is although it's certainly unsustainable. So much of human discussion, on this forum & elsewhere, basically comes down to arguing about what social norms should be & what is acceptable & unacceptable. It's kind of exhausting & futile, like arguing about what the weather should be. I like when I see humor and friendly banter but something about this forum environment (moderation on silliness & personal threads and the fact that agreeing with each other probably produces less excitement in the brain that a good fight and online there are no actual consequences of riling someone up) encourages mostly endless debate about what should be. I feel like life is to be enjoyed with friends rather than obsessed about with strangers but it's kind of addictive hence "I'm here" right now.

I'm pretty skeptical of all systems of thinking. Probably stems from a mother who was both dogmatic & gullible and spending over 2 years of my adolescence incarcerated in a cult-like boarding school. I can't read a book, post or article without seeing flaws in it. To me, most "systems of thinking" (whether philosophical or political) seem to be mostly a way to avoid thinking and just a way to copy/paste generalizations onto whatever situation one hears about/experiences.

Growing up in many weird environments also showed me how variable "normal" is. Daily I try to reflect on the absurdities of life & culture. Not that I idealize any other culture or time. I marvel actually at how functional our world is although it's certainly unsustainable. So much of human discussion, on this forum & elsewhere, basically comes down to arguing about what social norms should be & what is acceptable & unacceptable. It's kind of exhausting & futile, like arguing about what the weather should be. I like when I see humor and friendly banter but something about this forum environment (moderation on silliness & personal threads and the fact that agreeing with each other probably produces less excitement in the brain that a good fight and online there are no actual consequences of riling someone up) encourages mostly endless debate about what should be. I feel like life is to be enjoyed with friends rather than obsessed about with strangers but it's kind of addictive hence "I'm here" right now.

Well, at the end of the day such 'systems' are the necessary shortcut of life. Using politics and political parties as an example, the average adult voter has far too much going on in their life to thoroughly explore the positions of every candidate for every office on the ballot. Is SF pro-life? Is TL going to support the governor's initiatives on renewable energy? Where do they stand on the California high speed rail project? Will either of them provide a conduit into the state assembly for the corrupt mayor of the next town up the road? I personally think that people voting for our representative to the state assembly should know these things, as a minimum, but generally speaking they don't. In fact, most people voting in the upcoming election ten days away aren't any more likely to be able to put names with the initials SF and TL than you are. But one is a Democrat, the other is a Republican, and just knowing that allows for a pretty good guess to be taken at every one of those questions. I don't advocate for "straight ticket voting," but I acknowledge it as being far superior to "hey I saw an ad with some soundbites about this guy paid for by I dunno who and I can't say whether they were somewhat true, somewhat stretched, or just outright lies...but that informs my vote."

Hell, I miss Fifty. And Abaddon.

I wouldn't say that. I'd say that most of us recognize that we might have one or two "pet" positions that maybe differentiate us, but that the bulk of our positions are fairly standard.

Yes but you probably think that the combination of pet positions you do or don't have is unique to you (on CFC).

No one here has the same politics as anyone else. But a lot of people agree, loosely, on a lot of things.

NewI assume we cannot use this thread to express a wish that certain members leave the site permanently? What about all those who have a certain political view?
I agree, only posters with an uncertain political view should be permitted.

No one here has the same politics as anyone else. But a lot of people agree, loosely, on a lot of things.
I barely have the same politics as myself.

I agree, only posters with an uncertain political view should be permitted.

I barely have the same politics as myself.
I think back to my politics five years ago and want to slap myself. I'll probably think the same in another five years.

Because you stole those views from others!

You should have stayed with your in-born political views -- like the rest of us!
Are we sure that's a good idea?

Source.

The experiment suggests we’re born with knowing more than right from wrong — we’re also born with a sense of justice. Or at least vengeance.

Hmm. This calls for an experiment!

Let's lock a bunch of babies up in a room, not teach them politics, and see what political views they have when they grow up.

Hmm. This calls for an experiment!

Let's lock a bunch of babies up in a room, not teach them politics, and see what political views they have when they grow up.
My country is already doing that on Nauru.

Top Bottom