1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Converted Units from EE2

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Refar, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Refar

Refar Deity

Units converted from Empire Eart 2 by Walter Hawkwood and me.
    Just one package for now, but more are planed.

Early Sailing Ships <<< Database Link
    PapyrusBoat, Barque, Caravel, Carrack, Holk, Cogge, 3 more Merchant or Cargo Ship variants. Walter Hawkwood made some national texture variants, and some variant textures with different TC layout for some of them - check each units folders, to see what siuts your needs.

All under 1500 Polys (most of them a lot less). 256 Textures. Custom combat animations and damage textures (The later might need some work).
    Spoiler :
    Artdefines:
    fScale 0.20 ~ 0.25 (will be needing adjustment to ship type / mod context / personal taste)
    The <NIF> should be the normal *.nif <ShaderNif> the *_FX.nif
    Use included animation (KFM) with every unit.
    The PapyrusBoat and the WhalingBoat are animated to fire forward, rather than broadside. Use <fExchangeAngle>0.0</fExchangeAngle> to account for this (and probably increase battle distance). Compare the Submarines ArtDefine for reference.

2. Refar

Refar Deity

Reserved just in case.
    It's late, i hope i did not mess up nothing in the upload...

3. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

Cool! I may be able to use some of these :D :goodjob:

4. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

So, these are the unit packs you mentioned (or WalterHawkwood mentioned). This is good, there are lots of possibilities to remodel and reskin for moding.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Nice :).

I hope we'll see some of the modern units in here :).

6. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

We first did all the interesting purely sailing units out there. There are also several oar-propelled ones and then there are post-sailing ones; hopefully, our cooperation will continue as fruitfully as before, and you'll see many more of those.

7. Refar

Refar Deity

I have updated the animation template for oars, but did not managed to actually finish up a unit before the holydays-crazyness took over, so the oar-propelled ones will take a moment. Maybe next year ;)

8. Zerver

Zerver CIV4 Unit-Maker

Moma!!! Great set!

9. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

OMGOMGOMG! :woohoo:

10. GFO_Anubis

GFO_Anubis Warlord

Very nice set :D Ill use these for sure...

11. JustATourist

JustATourist Lost in Translation

Very beutiful ships, indeed. :)

12. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

Excellent job on the conversion. I've already added the Cogge into RFC Europe where it fills a valuable niche. I also must compliment you on the excellent supporting information and documentation you provide with these ships: a readme with all the useful information necessary to include these units in a mod, some lovely preview pictures, and included buttons. A first-class release all around!

13. ripple01

ripple01 Emperor

Is there a Viking Longship model in EE2 by any chance? We sorely need one...

Cheers,
    ripple01

14. Walter Hawkwood

Nah, there isn't one. We sorely need that ourselves for TR.

15. Refar

Refar Deity

The Civ4 galley look very Viking-long-boat'isch... And we will have another galley variant(s) among the Oar-propelled ships, so maybe a new model could replace the 'basic galley' freeing up the vanilla model for the vikings....

Another - vague related - note: Does anyone know how to get buildings out of Age of Empires 3 converted ? I think we had one or two buildings (Sphinks) a while back, that came from there, but i couldn't figure out how...

16. Walter Hawkwood

I think that would deal with importing stuff into 3DSMax/Blender, and then exporting a nif; the plugins to do that are all there for AoE3 (or so I believe).

17. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

First of all congratulations to you and Walter for the excellent work you have done :goodjob:

I'm eagerly waiting your next oar-models because none of the forum-existing model of ancient ships got running animations. Except for the Trireme, Galley and Workboat reskins, all other models look sadly still on the sea.
    Asap I hope to see animated not-viking-galleys, biremes, quinqueremes, trade barges, merchant ships and so on, in order to revive the ancient sea battles in Civ4 mods.

Keep up your good work!!!

18. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Emperor

The merchant ship isn't working for me. :( Can anyone tell me what looks wrong in my artdefines? Thanks :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot :crazyeye:

19. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Since there is quite a bit of EE2 content not yet ported I thought I'd try and pick up the trail on this one. I am really interested in the later sailing ships - Frigate, Ship Of the Line, Galleon and Privateer, but there are a lot of other units in there that I don't think have been ported - see Walter's thread.

I've got a decent amount of the way as you can see. I can convert all the texcache files to DDS using NifSkope, but I can't find any meshes for the sails. The only files I can find refering to sails are the texcache which I can convert no problem. I'm hoping Walter can point me in the right direction... :)

20. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

On further investigation, it looks like the sails in Empire Earth are added as animations so I'm guessing that you guys modelled the sails yourselves...