cooest dude in history

Xen

Magister
so, you get ONLY ONE nomination for this title- who would you say is the SINGLE coolest dude (or dudette ;)) in all history...

for me its a tough choice- part of me wants to go with Caesar, Julius that is ;), another part want Xenphon to be cool dude elect, other choices would be Scipio Africanus, or Regulus... I'll decide a bit later though, after I can see some of the others guys choices, and reasonings behind them

Part of me says Wellington because he made some great comments down the years he served in the wars he fought :D But people might think I'm obsessive.... which I kinda am :D So I'll go with him, an example being at the congress of Vienna, some French officers turned their backs on Wellington in disgust at their countries defeat. An austrian lady attempted to stop an incident by appologising. Wellington simply replied "That's quite alright my lady, I've seen their backs before" :goodjob:

Honourable mentions for me go to Churchill, Tantham Warner (bloke at Arnhem Bridge with the umbrella), Frederick the Great and Lincoln :)

if we were going by quotes alone it would be socrates who would win (or, if we were going for comedy, several 20th century american republic officials ;))

None of whom had an unbeaten string of victories against a wide range of opponents, unlike Wellington, were kings, unlike Frederick, guided their country through war with a greater power, unlike Churchill, or had the British eccentricity to carry an umbrella on a battlefield like Tantham Warner :p

I could no doubt think of others, but Wellington thrashed most of his opponents, had excellent quotes, outfought Napoleon and knew when to quit when his political career failed. Considering his father thought he was "not very clever", he achieved a lot :D

yeah, but was he COOL? :p

I've a list:

1.Ramesses II
2.Narmer
3.Alexander the Great
4.Gaius Julius Caesar
5.Sun Tzu
6.Socrates
7.Ghandi

Originally posted by Xen
yeah, but was he COOL? :p

Yup, the quotes show it :p

Besides, he inspired a boot! What more could you ask for? ;)

Alexander The Great -or- Darius I

Rommel?
Hannibal?
Count Dracul? :)

I think the coolest anonimous dude ever would surely be the Chinese student with white bags in front of the tank. I mean, was he brave and cool, or what?

Napoleon had some pretty cool quotes, Erwin von Rommel had a cool attitude, and so did Gaius Julius Caeser, Alexander, Churchill and many others.
And lets not forget Kruschev, with his sterical scandals... :lol:

Xen, can't you make this a poll? We all named enough candidates to make quite an impressive list.

And MoCo, indeed Genghis should be on the list too.

By the way, have anyone of you ever heard of the mad baron? I can't remember his name now. But he was an Austrian baron who fought in the Russian army. It was around 1920, I believe. I have a book about him, but I can't find it at the moment.
He eventually went to Mongolia and there he became sort of a demigod, claiming to be the reincarnation of Genghis. The Mongolians believed this, because he also had the facial features of the Kahn (although I find that hard to believe, Austrian guy looking like a Mongolian guy?). With the Mongolian forces he tried to reconquer some territories lost to the SU. He was so feared by his own men, because everybody faling him was tortured, burned and all that sort of things. Then after a major defeat at the hands of the Red Army his own men were tired of him and hoped the
at they would be left aloine by the Russians if they weren't lead by the baron anymore.
They tied him up to a tree and left him there. Probably a week later Russian scouts noticed him and didn't dare to come close to him. He was raging like the devil himself and they were also frightened by the stories they heard about the baron. They literally waited for the regular troops to come and then a couple of 'brave' men dared to untie him and take him with them.

I think he was pretty cool too! I think I will look that book up today and give you the name of him.

I already found him, eh, well the book!

His name was Baron Roman von Ungern-Sternberg. He was born in Graz, Austria, on Januari 10 1886. But his family owned many lands in the Baltic states, dating back to the Teutonic Order, so he moved there. He already fought in the Russian-Turkish was of 1877-1878. Then he went to a madhouse in 1899 (cool, hahaha). In 1903 he went to a navy school. And in 1904 he fought against Japan. He then became an officer with the Cossacks. He was fired, because of a fight he had with another officer, whom gave him a big scar in the face with the slash of a sable.
He wandered the forests of Manchuria, living of the hunt. In 1911 a little war broke out between Mongolia and China. He offered his services to the Mongolians and became the commander of the cavalry.
In the WW1 he became an officer for the Cossacks again and fought many battles with them. With the Revolution he went back to Mongolia fighting against the Red Army. Mongolia was however occupied by the Chinese. He defeated them and then became the reincarnation of the Kahn, in Mongolian eyes. He then wanted to build a big Asian state with the Mongolians as leaders to fight off the commies and even the Germans (it was still 1917). With the white army of Russians and the Mongolian cavalry he went to fight the Red Army, but was then defeated and then all the things in my last post happened.

In the book there are also stories about him, how he would crawl to the German side, cutting barbwire underway, and singlehandedly brought back German prisoners. How far this is true, we don't know of course, but the myth is cool, anyway!

Ooooh...good one. I'm split, so I'll ignore the one and only one requirement.

Napoleon definately had the style; all he was missing was cool sunglasses, which I'm sure he'd wear if they were available back then. However, when it comes to cool as in "somebody I'd want to hang out with on a streetcorner" cool, I'd have to go with Frederick the Great. Napoleon seems like the kind of guy who would just keep talking about himself in a condescending way. With Frederick, I could always talk about philosophy or, um, potatoes.

Napoleon is cool even by today's standards. He's got that "I'm invincible" attitude, the loose fitting clothes, because he's so short, and the rapper hands-down-the-pants style.

My opinion goes like this-

1. Ghandi(he kicked ass without even trying. too cool)
2. Genghis khan(did what he wanted to. Didn't care about anyone else. Selfishness is cool nowadays)
3. Napoleon.
4. Hannibal
5. That roman general who decided to use flaming pigs to fight elephants.

1. Athorilanta
2. T. Mrowiec III
3. S. Stopenski I

1) Jesus, the perfect human being.
2) Abraham Lincoln
3) Martin Luther

No, wait a minute, I got it. The truly coolest dude ever is still alive. It is the former Iraqi minister of foreign affairs, Shariff (spelled correctly?)!
Man, telling the press with a steel face that the situation is under control while enemy tanks are driving by in the background! If that isn't cool, then I don't know what is.

Top Bottom